Exercise Bike Question

Options
Ok so the tops of my legs were hurting to the point that I was just about in tears this morning from my very vigorous 60 minute workout on the exercise bike last night. Anyways I walked for 30 minutes this morning to work some of the soreness out & took Advil to help with the pain (ok, ok...so I'm a wimp!! :blushing: ) but anyways my point is this...I burned a LOT of cals doing that and it had to be good for my upper leg muscles considering that pain, so I want to keep doing it. Since the pain is mostly gone now and that little walk was all I did today, is tomorrow too soon to do another hour on the bike and any idea whether I will get that sore again?? Thanks in advance for any advice! :smile:

Replies

• dvusk
    dvusk Posts: 21
    Options
    If you're not used to that exercise, you're going to be sore for the first week, or so. Also, if the pain was that bad, you may have pushed yourself a bit too hard. Or you didn't stretch properly before and after. Doing that will reduce the soreness and pain from your workouts.
  • zowgati
    zowgati Posts: 25
    Options
    I've been told not to repeat strength work within 24 hours, but not to wait more than 72hours to get best results. If you push your damaged muscles too hard too often you may risk injury.
  • Pistolcoach
    Pistolcoach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    working your muscles should make you aware of them, but the amount of pain you are describing is an idicator that you pushed TOO hard. go ahead and get back on the bike, but maybe do a shorter workout, or less intense for a little while. Keep up the hard work!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    If you are not in sever pain you should have no problem doing it. A warning though, sometimes this sort of muscle soreness is worse the second day. The walk probably would have helped with recovery a bit so it might be fine.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    This is how it works: whenever we workout, we tear apart muscles. Muscles are sort of formed in a complex web shape. When you were on the bike you ripped up those muscles. Then when you ate protein along with everything else. That protein is used to rebuild the muscle while your legs rest. Most of the rebuilding happens when you sleep. Sleep is just as, if not more important than the actual workout. Muscle repairs itself and ultimately becomes slightly bigger each time. Bigger muscle means more strength. When that soreness goes away, it means that it's healed. It's usually the first 1 or 2 workouts that create the most soreness. After that you don't feel the soreness as much, but the workouts still do the same thing. In fact strength really starts to increase after the second workout.

Biking or running are workouts that move muscle fast. And along with the cardio part, it helps the muscle to grow back quickly. So those type of exercises can be done almost every day. I run 4 days in a row, then take a rest day then do a huge workout then rest on the 7th day.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    probally not as much and it will decrease pretty fast ,,,probally within a week if you keep doing it! your body just gets used to it so to speek!
    so good news there!