How are my FL people holding up?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

Follow the directions from your government.

Sincerely,

your government

• FatAFNoMore
    FatAFNoMore Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My mom is in Boynton and won't leave. Her outdoor stuff and her shutters are being taken care of Thursday. I wish she'd leave and come north but she's not interested.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Get a grip. Follow the directions from your government. Panic will only lead to increased anxiety.

Well we are going to evacuate anyway. So I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

Please don't get hurt! You're beautiful and nice.

lol thank you!
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Still keeping an eye on it. Still had our hurricane supplies stocked and dad bought a filtration system a few years ago and four 10 gallon water jugs that he keeps filled so have plenty of water. It was hard enough to get gas this morning, can't imagine trying to get into a grocery store.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    My whole fam is in Florida. My sister lives in the keys, parents in St. Pete. Sister just evacuated to st. Pete today. She secured her house and brought all important docs with her, but only so much you can do for a cat 5.

BUT one ray of hope: word is most models now have it hooking east and potentially missing a straight on hit to Florida. Too early to really make a definite prediction, but we'll cling to that hope for now.
  • RunningJustIncase
    Options
    Just wanted to say I'm praying for you guys down there!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Left today, was not willing to risk sticking around or being stuck in traffic! Unfortunately my husband can't leave until Thursday, so he will probably get some bad traffic. Hoping we have a home to go to after all this passes! My thought are with everyone both traveling and sticking it out.
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Tampa area so I think I'll be good. Praying for those who are in the path of this monster. Stay safe out there.
  • GlucoseKitten23
    GlucoseKitten23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ElizIvory wrote: »
    I am more north, but even here people are buying it all up. I was able to get a case or two, but most people had loaded 15+ into their carts.

I'm in NWFL ... luckily our Walmart was handing out the cases so people were less likely to snatch up more than what they really needed & I found gas at an older station off the main roads. It's super scary and a huge deal ... even if you follow orders there's no telling what these storms are going to do until the last second. Hope y'all stay safe!
  • Candy0516
    Candy0516 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm in south east Ga. no where to evacuate to. Just gonna hunker down.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Still planning on hunkering down in St. Augustine. I don't think there is a vacant hotel room between here and Atlanta or Charlotte (or a bottle of water anywhere in the state). I would venture a guess that about half of my neighborhood is leaving town...driving to points as distant as Nashville, Oxford, Mississippi, and Morgantown, WV (the latter two figured if they were leaving town they might as well tailgate at their college football games). My parents told me their friends left Boynton Beach and it took them nine hours to make it as far as Jacksonville...twice the normal time.

So far they are calling for mandatory evacuations of Zones A and B (in red and orange on the map). We are in Zone C (the yellow area)...but just a block or two from Zone B.
    http://www.sjcemergencymanagement.org/pdf-maps/evaczones 8x11.pdf

Trying not to obsess over the projected storm trajectory. It's not supposed to hit us until Sunday night into Monday morning, so we've got another 48 hours until we have a better idea of the storm's actual path.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm in Lake Wales Fl - a little town right in the middle of the state - we are preparing - Hit the store in the wee hours - 2 3 4 AM they get deliveries over night went to Walmart at 05:30 this AM and got the last of their water - needed some for Mom & Dad, Rural King had gotten a load of generators and had them out at 6 AM - Eastcoast Jim
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm in Orlando, and we're set. Is there a MFP entry for filling and hauling sandbags? I feel like my arms are going to fall off.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Candy0516 wrote: »

All the Fla people are in your neighborhood
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    Candy0516 wrote: »

All the Fla people are in your neighborhood

Idk, from what friends have told me that are trying to get out Florida, they have been on the road for 14 hours today and are still in Florida. Tomorrow though Georgia, tomorrow.
  • Trina2040
    Trina2040 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's looking catastrophic for Florida. We're sheltering in place and as ready as can be but it's not looking good.
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,129 Member
    Options
    Just north of Orlando here....Mt. Dora area...I have a stock of food, propane, water, etc and for the most part am set...I hope...I went through Charlie, et al in 2004...sometimes not as bad as they predict..sometimes just as bad. Can only wait and see. Gas is gone, water gone...no sandbags (damn), no plywood anywhere (damn)...No where to go really since this sucker is taking up all of Florida, plus all roads are choked...bumper to bumper on 95 and 75...Will go to a shelter if need be, but probably just as safe here at home...You all stay SAFE and hunker down as best you can!!!!!
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    just make sure you have gas , that seemed to be the most needed item on the list after sandy hit.
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    Sunday will be the worst for my area, Tampa. Bracing until then.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    There are instructions out there for sterilizing water, so fill up anything you can. We've got a couple of cases and hopefully about 30 gallons ready for sterilizing.
    We have a small gas grill with a burner that will be very useful in case the poop hits the fan. We also have about 200 rounds of ammo.