Road Race Etiquette (sprinting at the end) ?

Options
Hello, I have a half coming up pretty soon (my first) and was curious about some thoughts on this. In most every running event that I have participated in thus far, as soon as the finish line is in sight I muster what I can and accelerate to near maximum speed to the line.

What I have noticed from doing this has been two fold. 1) I am pretty much the only person I see doing this. And 2) This has often been met with some not so hospitable looks from other people. Am I being rude?

Replies

• Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Hello, I have a half coming up pretty soon (my first) and was curious about some thoughts on this. In most every running event that I have participated in thus far, as soon as the finish line is in sight I muster what I can and accelerate to near maximum speed to the line.

What I have noticed from doing this has been two fold. 1) I am pretty much the only person I see doing this. And 2) This has often been met with some not so hospitable looks from other people. Am I being rude?

Huh. I never thought of it as rude, and I have seen it done many times. I do it myself honestly because I like to finish strong. Now, if it is like a fun run or something (which it doesn't sound like but just in case) I would say maybe there is no need to sprint to the finish (with no official timing) but even then, I wouldn't be surprised if I see a few people sprint just to finish it off. Anything that is a race with an official time, I would say I would expect it more often than not.

I am not as prolific a runner as others though, so maybe I just don't know.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I dunno, but I don't care. I do the same thing (most of the time... charity "races" or events I do with my family/kids are a different story) and eff em if they have a problem with it. It's a race, and I'm racing. I know I don't have a chance at a podium spot, not even in my age group, but I'm still trying to turn in the best time I can... and that last bit of effort can be the different between making and missing a time goal or a PR.

People have lost touch with the concept of racing. Racing is not the same thing as participating. If you're not racing, then fine, but don't criticize those who are.

BTW - that's the least ranty I can be about this topic. And I rewrote that 3 or 4 times, lol.

Well put.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The point of a race is to get from A to B in the shortest amount of time, so going fast at the end shouldn't be looked at in a negative way.
    The one thing that I may add though, from a racing standpoint is that if you have a lot of energy left for a kick, it could mean you could have gone faster over the course of the rest of the race.
  • Strong_Savannah
    Strong_Savannah Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - if you're RACING, then you are trying to finish as soon as possible and pass as many people as you can. I do not think this is rude, since this is usually the point of the event! I am the same as you in that I like to sprint the last few minutes and really give the last .5-.25 mile my all; I actually do my training runs this way too. I also agree with you that I do not see many other "racers"/"participants" finishing in the same way.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is rude at all. I thought that was what you're suppose to do. Pace yourself through the race and kick it up several notches at the end. I do it every time and no one has ever said a word to me about it. Who cares what anyone else thinks. You do what works for you!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I'm not a racer or a runner(although I run for time 2-6 times a year) I'm active military, and so 2 times a year is for points. Others are fun runs or races or distance checks.

Context aside. Run the race you've trained for and train for the race you want to run.

Most of my runs are to pace, which means I've got a target that I've trained for and I plan to hit it. IF I'm coming up on the finish and ahead of pace, I'll coast in. If I'm behind, I'll kick as hard as I can(or need to) to finish at my target pace.

Once a year, or less, I'll run for PR. Training will be a bit different, and when I come up to the finish, I'll twist the tail of the tiger as hard as it will go.

The other part is. Run your race, not the other guys. If you want to kick hard early and coast home, run that race and train for that race. If you want to coast out and finish hard, run that race and train for that. Don't worry about what the other guy is doing, unless he's in your way, or he's your training partner that you've spent 6 or 18 weeks running together.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm absolutely beat and cannot, I always finish the race with a burst. It's a race, people!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    How much time are you really cutting sprinting the last 100 yards or so? A burst of speed for the last mile, half mile, 5K of a half marathon, now you're talking. But, do what you want. I'm not racing against you but against myself. I can only be better than I was last time out on that course. If it makes you feel good to sprint the last X yards, go for it.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've ran 3 races 2 of which I gave it all I had at the end and a third my most recent where I coasted in because I'd picked up another runner who started the half marathon too fast and was having trouble finishing. since someone with a lot of racing experience gave me good advice and let me pace off him my first time I returned the favor. I probably lost a couple minutes slowing for those last few miles it ended up being a half marathon pr for me.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I agree, nothing wrong at all. It's called a finishing kick. If it's a chip-timed race, I like to sprint out the last couple hundred meters, myself. A pet peeve of mine are runners that slow down in the finishing chute before crossing the line. Keep going, you're not done yet!

One race, I was sprinting towards the finish and bumped another runner when she came to a full stop in front of me in the middle of the road to wave to her friends. I was called an *kitten* for running into her, but it would have never happened if she didn't stop.

This this and this. Sprint or coast, it doesn't matter but don't stop/slow in the chute with somebody behind you.
  • RuaidhriC
    RuaidhriC Posts: 12 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Robby, I'm guessing you've ran a lot of charity 5K races? That sprint-to-the-finish is very common for shorter distances. Don't feel guilty doing it. If this is your first half, I'm guessing you might not have enough gas in your tank at the end of your race to do the same thing. If you do, you didn't run hard enough during the majority of the race. ;) As long as you don't interfere with (or run into) any other runners, who cares! Run your own race and have fun! :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't you draft a while before the final sprint?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Never encountered this. I race with some very competitive folks - mostly military and we leave everything on the field. There's always a burst of speed near the end.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's a race...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    As long as your not crop dusting them with hot gas as they gasp for air, it's not rude...

I knew I was doing something wrong.