Road Race Etiquette (sprinting at the end) ?

Options
2»

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Hello, I have a half coming up pretty soon (my first) and was curious about some thoughts on this. In most every running event that I have participated in thus far, as soon as the finish line is in sight I muster what I can and accelerate to near maximum speed to the line.

What I have noticed from doing this has been two fold. 1) I am pretty much the only person I see doing this. And 2) This has often been met with some not so hospitable looks from other people. Am I being rude?

If you're the only person doing this, other people around you are poorly coached, are ignoring their coaches, or lack coaching entirely. This is something that is taught as part of race strategy.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    If you have a kick left, finish strong. Don't cut anyone off, or do any shoulder blocks for position. Most of us are out there running for fun or just competing against ourselves and we really dont care if you pass us.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I've never seen race/event rules that say "don't sprint to the finish line."
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    As long as your not crop dusting them with hot gas as they gasp for air, it's not rude...

He's onto me...
  • mattsolar
    mattsolar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it's labeled a "race" or it's timed with a sense of competition, I'm looking to set a PR and/or leave what I can on the course.

We all have war stories but if you're just looking to run for fun, respect those who want to challenge themselves and line up toward the back at the start. You won't need to worry about being passed, nor will racers need to worry about dodging or bumping into you. Win-win.

m
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides. I'm addressing this from a typical runner's perspective, not elite and not front of the pack runners. I usually kick a little at the end of a race. That said, if you have been matching someone's pace for any length of time (they know you are back there, trust me) and you blow by them right at the finish I can see where that could be considered rude. Just another perspective...........
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do it every time too -- every time I can that is. I even finish my daily jogs with a sprint down the street to my house.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's always inspiring to see an adult man cut off a 10 year old for 278th place.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can think of why other runners wouldn't do the same thing is that they don't have enough left in the tank to do it. What kind of race would it be if people finished with more to give?
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Run your best race without negatively impacting your competition. If there's room to pass then pass.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    It's always inspiring to see an adult man cut off a 10 year old for 278th place.
    Its racing not soccer that kid needs to push harder at the end or they could get beat.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It's normal in every race I've been in to sprint finish, it is a race after all. Some people don't as they're likely simply to tired to do so. When I've raced someone to the finish line we usually congratulate each other and say thank you for providing that bit of motivation to push that last final bit. Never seen any rude looks myself.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    Its racing not soccer that kid needs to push harder at the end or they could get beat.

I'll send you a 14 and under age-group award medal. Wear it with pride.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The rude people are those who aren't aware of faster people on the course and/or don't move aside for them to easily pass.