BMI and recommended Weight

124»

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2017
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    It's because of the number combo you had in your post. It's part of the spam filter, happens from time to time with completely innocuous posts, which then appear as soon as they've been cleared.
    I've had this happen to me. The spam filter catches weird stuff sometimes.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    JenObRN wrote: »

I think my wanting to be lower has to do with my childhood. Very low sense of self worth / body image. I was always very thin and very athletic. When I hit 30-years-old I changed my ways and started drinking and eating crap to de-stress. I've been working on these problems. I rarely drink alcohol, I've been watching everything that goes in my mouth. I really do believe slowly but surely I will get back to my 20-something body (minus perky boobs - but hoping some plastic surgery will help with that lol)

Meh, I had an eating disorder, horrendous body image. I feel absolutely no need to try to attain the weights I used to (which were not underweight). It actually makes me sad that I thought I was fat at the weight I am now in my early 20s. I'd rather be strong and healthy than stick thin (which is not to say I couldn't be both strong and a lot leaner and still healthy, I'm just not willing to put in the work and discipline required to maintain that, it's not even an aesthetic I aspire to for myself).
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    We about to be booted for questioning bmi
    tj6ul77rdejg.jpg

Oh. Well, I feel like I'm living proof that a normal BMI doesn't look great on everybody. I should be 10-20 lbs less imo.

You look great. Losing 10-20 will simply put you from model to super model zone. :)
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    BMI is a weight range that works for 90% of the population. If you have a physique like The Rock then you're in that 10% that it doesn't apply to.
    You can also use the waist to height ratio result to determine if you are at a healthy weight.
    I'm just over 177cm that means my waist should be at or below 88cm to be in the healthy range.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    We about to be booted for questioning bmi
    tj6ul77rdejg.jpg

Oh. Well, I feel like I'm living proof that a normal BMI doesn't look great on everybody. I should be 10-20 lbs less imo.

You look awesome. Keep up the good work. Lots of women are killing themselves to look the way you do.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    IBW gave me the weight 155 lbs which my goal was 150 anyway and it gave me the option to choose gender which some people mentioned thinking they couldn't do that with that formula. But I think frame size is important when calculating the number and IBW does not take that into account.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I personally don't pay much attention to BMI. For me it isn't a great indicator. The weight range my doctor gave me to aim for puts me just outside a healthy BMI at the heaviest end of the weight range. The range she gave me is a 20lb range and lines up perfectly with the smartBMI so I use that instead.

According to BMI I'm still overweight medically (smartBMI says I'm a healthy weight) And while I do want to lose another 10lb or so my body fat percentage is at 25% and my waist/hip ratio is healthy so I consider the 10lb I want to lose still vanity pounds