BMI and recommended Weight

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Even the various IBW calculators have a 4.3 kg variance for me, which at my size, is actually quite a noticeable difference. The bottom one, I can assure you, I look too thin (and this is from someone who has historically had a very warped body perception in terms of thinking I needed to lose weight when I didn't), the top one, actually about right for me, though 900g lower than my current goal weight (which is hiding under my winter insulation). We'll see how I'm feeling (or rather, looking) after a few months of recomp, and I may or may not drop a little lower. Either end of BMI is just LOL.

Results:
    Based on the Broca formula, your ideal weight is 57.8 kg.
    Based on the Devine formula, your ideal weight is 59.63 kg.
    Based on the Robinson formula, your ideal weight is 59.44 kg.
    Based on the Miller formula, your ideal weight is 61.45 kg.
    Based on the Hamwi formula, your ideal weight is 59.29 kg.
    Based on the Lemmens formula, your ideal weight is 62.09 kg.
    Based on the BMI range formula, your ideal weight is between 52.21 kg and 70.56 kg.

When I look at a person, I ask, can he she lose 20lb? 95% of women and men...absolutely.! I live in US, folks are obese here. Of course, according to BMI, they are perfect. :smile:

<<<5'10" 182 Lbs...not obese and not over fat...The IBW calculator say 160...I'd be skin and bone at 160.

Yeah, mine says 156. I'd look like a stick. I pretty much ignore IBW. On the Smart BMI site, at about 175 I'm at my ideal body weight. Last time I was there, I was in great shape but that was 40 years ago. Shooting to land at 180 and reassess.
  • JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    My BMI is 24. I don't like the way I look at this weight (141 lbs 5 ft 4 in) - 44-year-old female. I agree more with the Ideal weight calculator. It says I should be anywhere from 119-129 lbs. I have a small frame so agree that I would feel and look better at lower weight range.
  • JenObRN
    Testing
  • JenObRN
    I would have to say that I don't like my BMI at 24. Due to my small frame I feel a more realistic goal for me would be from the ideal weight calculation. I should be anywhere from 119 a 129 lbs.
  • JenObRN
    Is there a reason my last two posts on this thread have to be "approved" before posting? There was nothin negative at all :neutral:
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    They must not want people stirring things up. Lol
  • JenObRN
    That's funny because I was agreeing with you. But whatever
  • JenObRN
    edited September 2017
    We about to be booted for questioning bmi
    tj6ul77rdejg.jpg

Oh. Well, I feel like I'm living proof that a normal BMI doesn't look great on everybody. I should be 10-20 lbs less imo.
  • JenObRN

Lol...MFP doesn't care about someone questioning BMI...it happens all the time. If you're getting a warning or whatever it's because you've broken MFP guidelines somewhere along the way.

I don't know, I haven't had to wait to have anything else approved and I posted quite a bit today.
    And now I've got double posts on this thread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited September 2017
    JenObRN wrote: »

Lol...MFP doesn't care about someone questioning BMI...it happens all the time. If you're getting a warning or whatever it's because you've broken MFP guidelines somewhere along the way.

I don't know, I haven't had to wait to have anything else approved and I posted quite a bit today.
    And now I've got double posts on this thread.

I've been here for five years...there are literally hundreds of threads questioning BMI...questioning BMI has nothing to do with anything...why would MFP care?

Hell, I've said about a million times over the years that BMI is only one indicator and that you have to look at other things like BF%...I'm overweight per BMI but around 15% BF which is completely healthy and considered "fitness lean"...in my case, BMI doesn't really pan out...neither does that other that IBW calculator.

I could get down to the top end of BMI and have...I'm pretty stinkin' lean at 174.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I'm checking my BMI and I'm still classed as overweight at the moment (which imo I am) but people keep telling me I shouldn't aim for a "normal" BMI and it's rubbish. BMI shows I should be 10 stone 7 pounds to be a healthy weight and 9 stone 9 pounds for an ideal weight according to multiple calculators I've used and tbh I think everyone's just not used to seeing me this thin (I've never been under 12 stone in my adult life until now) and it's making them think I'm ok now (people keep saying I look gout whatever that means) but I just want to totally get rid of the gut and then work on building muscle so for once in my life I look half decent.
    I'm 5'5" and as of today I'm 11 stone 8 pounds, my current (and final) weight loss target is 10 stone, does that sound like an ok number, of course I have a brain and if I decide I'm thin enough before that I'll maintain at that weight.

Evaluate as you get closer to a healthy weight. If you have never been near your goal weight as an adult then it is hard to say how you will feel about it. I would slow down your loss to .5 or 1 lb a week (250-500 calorie deficit) with what you have left to lose.

I think BMI is a good guide for most people of a range to aim for but personal experience is the best guide. I feel I'm best in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height and have a medium frame size and am not athletic. I feel okay 5-10 lbs overweight but not my best. I do not feel good at the bottom of the healthy range and I definitely feel worse 20 lbs or more overweight.
    Friend or family opinions on what size you should be are probably a poor way to choose a weight. They bring their own bias/baggage.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    lalepepper wrote: »
    Disagree Mega, the BMI is not a guide post, it's a chasm, where a 5'10 individual is allowed a 40lb "normal" window, and makes no diff between man and woman. A total joke. The Ideal body weight IBW formula, lets pick Devine '74, is spot on. Use it instead of BMI, especially for women! When a woman checks BMI she thinks she is normal, even tho Her height in the BMI extends to include a mans high range. You can reality check this by googling the weigh in stats of mayweather or mcgregor of recent vegas fight, or height and weight of you fave tennis player. This will give a great sense of what a fit male or female should be. Ok, rant over, can you tell I hate BMI?
    I also find the IBW calculation to be pretty accurate for me, as a 6' female. It says my ideal weight is 176 - my goal for now is 180 and I plan to adjust from there. Lowest I have been was 193 and losing 15-20 from there seems spot on.

For me it is way off. I am supposed to be 137 lb. If I were that low, I would look emaciated. I got there once and it was not nice. I am better around 155 or so.
  • JenObRN
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    We about to be booted for questioning bmi [/

It's because of the number combo you had in your post. It's part of the spam filter, happens from time to time with completely innocuous posts, which then appear as soon as they've been cleared.

Oh. Well, I feel like I'm living proof that a normal BMI doesn't look great on everybody. I should be 10-20 lbs less imo.

No one ever said anywhere in the BMI range looks great on everyone. Of course it doesn't. That's why it's a range. Top of my range is too big for me, likewise I wouldn't even go near the bottom. Even a BMI of 20 is too thin on me. Around 21-22 is my sweet spot. But even that comes down to personal aesthetic. I could go lower, but I'd be sacrificing my boobs to do it, and it will be a cold day in hell when that happens. Some people are perfectly happy at a higher weight. They're mitigating the likelihood of weight-related health risks, and for many people, that's enough. Not everyone needs, or wants, to look like an underwear model.

I think my wanting to be lower has to do with my childhood. Very low sense of self worth / body image. I was always very thin and very athletic. When I hit 30-years-old I changed my ways and started drinking and eating crap to de-stress. I've been working on these problems. I rarely drink alcohol, I've been watching everything that goes in my mouth. I really do believe slowly but surely I will get back to my 20-something body (minus perky boobs - but hoping some plastic surgery will help with that lol)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Eh. IBW gives me 148 Ibs for the Devine formula. I am currently 128 and I have very rarely been over 140Ibs during my life. I can think of two occasions. I tend to believe that a large majority of people have some sort of set point where their weight settles if they are eating within acceptable parameters and are in some way active. But I think most people lose that set point over time, especially if they either cannot or do not heed their body's natural hunger signals. Just my opinion, of course and as such, not all that valuable.