No brake food

Options
Hi all,

I have a few items on my "foods with no brakes" list - peanut butter is probably the biggest one I miss. With that said, for now I just don't buy peanut butter and that's the end of it. However, I am now a year into maintenance ... and well, eventually, I would LIKE to be able to buy peanut butter again. I can't imagine going the rest of my life without buying it. How do I go about this process of reintroducing "no brake" food into my life in a way that creates a sustainable path forward? I've tried buying the single serve peanut butter packets to set mental limits on the quantity I am eating at any given time... didn't work well. Open to any other suggestions. TIA.

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    What didn't work well with the individual packets?
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    What didn't work well with the individual packets?

Only bought the box of individual packets once - had a bad day and ate three of the packets (750 cal) before I threw the rest in the trash. It wasn't the end of the world, but it did raise the mental point that I still have an issue with peanut butter to overcome. Haven't bothered to try again since that one failed attempt.

ryenday wrote: »
    Is there a grocery near you that has the fresh grind it yourself peanut butter? Because if so, you could grind and buy a really small quantity of really high quality peanut butter to take home. Kroger here where I live has that machine and Whole Foods where my sister lives has it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have bought the single serve Justin's peanut butter which works well when I need peanut butter for a recipe or other purpose.

To be a bit more specific, I am trying to get to a point where I can mentally get past the roadblock altogether when it comes to certain foods in the house. I have other "no brake" foods, too. I could buy single serve of all those foods forever... or I could learn to have those items in my house in a way that they aren't a trigger for me. They didn't used to be a "no brake" food. It's only since I started this journey with calorie counting that the trigger food mindset manifested itself within my habits. Does that make sense?

Can someone share a successful story about how he or she turned a "no brake" food into a food that they can portion control reliably?

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am better at self-control, but I also see recognizing I have no self-control with some foods is just as good. Not binging is not binging.

One thing I do is only have the best I can find, in a restaurant that's quality.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Use a food scale to help with portion control. Buy the Smucker's Natural. It has no sugar added. No palm oil. Delicious.
    -put the piece of bread on the scale, hit tear, and weigh the pb you add.
    (have you ever tried almond butter? Heaven).

My no break food was chocolate. I found something called SIXLETS at one of those dollar stores. Individually wrapped little chocolate balls in a tube of 10. Chips I weigh on a scale.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Have you tried PB2 peanut butter powder? it's not quite the same (and no crunch!) but I really like it as a substitute.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I dearly love PB.
    When I have a craving for it, I mix my PB pp with almond milk.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, everyone. I appreciate the time spent to help me troubleshoot. However, I don't think I am quite articulating correctly the problem I am trying to solve. I am not looking for substitutes or ways to still eat PB when I am craving it - I've solved those problems early on because I truly love my PB and I know that a successful lifestyle change should incorporate foods you love! :smile:

What I am trying to solve for is the long term "how do I normalize PB so it's no longer a trigger food for me?" Can anyone share a success story whereby they no longer need to keep a trigger food out of the house/in limited quantities in the house? For my case specifically - how do I get myself mentally to the point where I can keep an entire jar of PB in the cabinet like a normal person (like I used to be able to do) and learn to trust myself that I won't binge on half the jar in a day?

Hopefully that helps clarify my ask. Apologies again for any confusion!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter, I could eat spoonfuls at a time yet I have to (sometimes aloud) tell myself no. It's up to you to find a balance with it, for me personally, I try and log calories for the day early on, around midnight-ish. This way I know what is planned, which is where peanut butter comes in. I've found 1TBLS is perfect with a banana, this way I get my pb fix, but I'm not going overboard, and I've started purchasing natural pb without extra sugar added.

I guess it sounds like I'm saying 'just eat less pb', but maybe find something to pair it with to help feel full and satisfy cravings?
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    How do you eat your PB? If you eat it on crackers, get out the number of crackers you need, top them, put everything away, go eat. Same with however you eat them.

Don't take the jar with you.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @sofchak I think the point you need to reach is "lifestyle change", rather than diet and restriction.

Peanut Butter wasn't affecting my weight. I had a medical problem where it affected my gall bladder. I had to stop using it, along with lots of other oily, greasy foods. Now those foods are just not part of my lifestyle anymore. There's peanut butter in the house all the time, but apart from risking the occasional taste, I hardly ever touch it.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    You guys rock! This is the direction I was looking for. Appreciate all the anecdotes and suggestions. Before checking this thread, I bought a jar of peanut butter last night and had a tbsp with my post workout meal. Sounds like my logic last night aligns with the familiarity approach - eat a tbsp every day that is prelogged in my calorie count. That's how I think I'll be able to normalize the food again. @susieq_1984 - what you said resonates the most: "I keep it up until the food is so familiar that I am no longer tempted strongly by it."

Holding myself accountable here now. Logically speaking, the jar I picked up has 26 1-tbsp servings. Give or take a day when I miss a tbsp or have two tbsps, I will check back in on this thread (hopefully in around 3-4 weeks and not sooner) to let you know how I did with keeping my #1 trigger food in the house. Crossing my fingers that my willpower and this familiarity trick can help me reach my goal. Thanks all for the support!

Glad I could help, and I hope it works as well for you as it has for me! :)
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What does food with no brakes mean? **Nevermind, got it.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    You got this!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »

What I am trying to solve for is the long term "how do I normalize PB so it's no longer a trigger food for me?" Can anyone share a success story whereby they no longer need to keep a trigger food out of the house/in limited quantities in the house? For my case specifically - how do I get myself mentally to the point where I can keep an entire jar of PB in the cabinet like a normal person (like I used to be able to do) and learn to trust myself that I won't binge on half the jar in a day?

Hopefully that helps clarify my ask. Apologies again for any confusion!

CBT?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the way I got rid of the 'eat the whole box at once' mentality was to buy a lot of it. It worked for me and chocolate. And I only have some when I'm really in the mood for it, not just because it's there. Not sure why, guessing it's a psychological difference between 'I need to eat it before it's gone' and 'there's a lot of it, no rush to eat it, there'll always be more'.

Or asking myself if it's really worth it to never eat something I love again, when I could try to just have a small amount of it at a time - at least this way I still get to eat some... which is better than none.

That being said, it's still all about willpower in the end. I got to tell myself 'I will only eat a square' and take my time to really enjoy it, but on days when I'm stressed/hormonal or whatnot, it's still going to be much harder not to eat more.