Is it really true you can never become stronger then your father?

Options
2»

Replies

• LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    LOL. I thought the saying was that "your father could always beat your @ss."
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I always here stories you can never become stronger due to "old man's strength" if this is true then how do you be able to surpass your father or a old person? So is it true that us younger generation can never succeed them in strength and skill, etc no matter what?

Think about it for a second.

That would mean that every world record setting powerlifter had a father who was stronger and set higher records than him. Therefore, he couldn't be a world record holder because his dad already held the records and he wouldn't be able to break them because he couldn't be stronger than his father.

It would also mean that as generations went on, old records could never get broken and totals would get lower and lower because each successive generation was getting weaker because they couldn't be stronger than their fathers. Which would mean that the strongest people ever existed at the beginning of mankind and it's all been downhill from there.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    How strong was Arnold Schwarzenegers father?

Apply a tiny bit of logic to this. If it was the case, our ancestors would have been epically, massively strong, and we would be puny weaklings. It's completely illogical.

I'm sorry, please understand I'm not mocking you personally, but of all the wild, crazy, downright silly things I've heard/read about physiology, this has got to be one of the most ridiculous.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Of course not! That would mean we'd get weaker as a species with every generation. Complete hogwash therefore.

P.S. I am female (49) and currently stronger than my father (73)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Definitely a myth parents must have said to keep kids in line back in olden times.

My husband's stronger, 3 inches taller, and more built than his dad. I suspect that my son (probably won't be as tall as my husband, but still tall like him) will be stronger. My kid is built like my family...thick. He won the genetic lottery.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Personal strength is cumulative due to life experiences. If someone is older than you, then based on their life experience, they could be stronger than you, because they have withstood more than you. However, I also think that some children, given the fact that they have weathered horrible things, critical illness, the loss of people they love, seeing someone die in front of their eyes - that would also give them more strength than someone who hasn't experienced something like that. Challenge yourself to get out of your comfort zone and help others. By helping them you will have a better appreciation for their experiences and be wiser for it.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    In solid terms it is false. In a metaphor it is true the idea in the metaphor is that a good child would always help their parents and thus you add your strength to theirs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's how evolution works.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    Now if we're talking about not being "strong enough" due to people getting their feelings hurt so easy today, then I might believe it. My pop took a lot of racial taunts back in his day. Especially when he saw Pearl Harbor hit and a kid.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would think evolution says just the opposite.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    this is the stupidest thread I've ever tried to read.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Lol. Yeah, no.

40-50 years ago, my father was a strongman. I'm certainly stronger than he is now, though... :tongue:

I am following in his footsteps, though.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Is this what millennials are telling themselves to cope with their generation's horribly low trends in strength and hormone levels?

Hint: it's the sitting around on smart phones and working behind desks, instead of moving heavy *kitten* that's doing it.

I find my phone difficult to answer when I'm sitting on it.

That vibrate setting, though... o:)

OP: If what you said were true, we'd all be dead by now because we'd be too weak to get outta bed. :)
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Lol, never heard this, and let me tell you...I love my dad, but I am definitely stronger than him.