The adventure that is maintenance...

It's only been just under 2 years, but it feels like I've been losing weight forever. I know that I'm technically still overweight at 5'2" and 148lb, but having lost 141lb I've decided to take a break from actually losing weight and attempt maintenance (with maybe a tiny bit of recomping) for the rest of the year and then reassessing in the new year.

But I'm struggling to eat enough so I don't continue to lose, I know I'm extremely active, which means that I need to eat a lot to maintain, but even with eating an average of 3000+Calories a day I've lost another 1.5lb over the last 2 weeks. I don't want to reduce my activity, I enjoy what I do and it's my thing (I have Aspergers and exercise classes/running/lifting help with my anxiety) and I'm struggling to eat any more, (90% veggie with a little fish). I do try and add in as many healthy Calories as I can, so will add nuts and hemp powder to my smoothies, make my own energy balls with nuts, seeds, dates, have dressings made with olive oil etc. But some days it feels like the only way to pack the Calories in would be to go back to the unhealthy way of eating I used to have, sure I could eat those Calories if I just chowed down on a huge bar of chocolate. (I don't log everything I eat atm, because the list would just get ridiculously long with the handful of nuts here, bit of fruit there, and so on)

Anyway, my question is, will there come a point where everything equalises, when I'll have dropped enough weight and hopefully kept enough muscle, that I will need fewer Calories and so will stop losing weight?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    You have to be extremely active to eat 3000 calories and lose weight at your height. 1.5 pounds is within normal fluctuations. Monitor over time before you make any drastic changes.

Grains and beans have a lot of calories, and together it's a good source of protein, do you eat that?

Yes, under normal circumstances, your weight would stabilize on a lower weight if you keep eating the same number of calories and doing the same amount of exercise. A lighter body runs on fewer calories - 20 pounds would account for around 200 calories.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    You have to be extremely active to eat 3000 calories and lose weight at your height. 1.5 pounds is within normal fluctuations. Monitor over time before you make any drastic changes.

I take up to 10 high intensity classes a week, 2-3 PT sessions, 3x lifting (5/3/1) plus run 3-4x (5-20Km), take at least 20000 steps a day (average 27000). As I said exercise is my thing, but I do have at least 1 rest day a week where all I do is walk)

Grains and beans have a lot of calories, and together it's a good source of protein, do you eat that?

I eat oats for breakfast, either as overnight oats or in a smoothie. I eat a lot of chickpeas, plus put beans in most recipes where I would have previously used meat. Not too keen on lentils, other than in a wicked dahl that I make. Don't eat bread because it makes me bloat, but do eat quinoa, rice, buckwheat, bulgar wheat, cous cous and pasta

Yes, under normal circumstances, your weight would stabilize on a lower weight if you keep eating the same number of calories and doing the same amount of exercise. A lighter body runs on fewer calories - 20 pounds would account for around 200 calories.

Thanks, I'll stick to what I'm doing for another month or so then and see where I end up, it's not as if I can't afford to lose a few more pounds, it's just I don't want to go too low. I want to be strong rather than skinny, I really don't look good skinny, been there done that and looked like skin and bone.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Dump olive oil or butter on everything!
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    I took a month off my diet. I needed a break as my mother who has Alzheimer's was living with me and it was too much stress. But I was so happy when I got back to losing weight. I am at the high end of normal now but happy with the way I look. My original goal was lower. If I lose more I lose more.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I'm a little confused why you are so full you can't eat any more of your current diet, but going back to unhealthy eating would allow you to eat more. Is the difference fat content? If so, then simply add more fat to your current diet. If not, what do you think the difference is?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2017
    WOW at 5ft 2 you can lose weight eating 3000 calories! I'm same height and no way can I eat close to that, more like 1950 to maintain and I'm active. (I maintain a goal range of 125-130lbs). When I was much more active than now my TDEE was 2200 (that was when I did 20k steps a day/running - it wasn't sustainable for me long term - my joints were suffering)

As you keep losing your calorie allowance will drop.

Just keep monitoring your weight for a while and as others have said, if you feel you need to add more calories do choose more calorie dense options. Nothing wrong with having that large chocolate bar btw, as long as it doesn't make you want to eat a lot of them.
  • brooke88z
    brooke88z Posts: 23 Member
    Drink juice. Consuming too much sugar at once may not be recommended (could overwork your liver), but a glass of juice with a meal should be OK.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member

Anyway, my question is, will there come a point where everything equalises, when I'll have dropped enough weight and hopefully kept enough muscle, that I will need fewer Calories and so will stop losing weight?

Yes. If you are finding it hard to eat the amount you need now to maintain, look at the number of calories you are satisfied eating then work out what you would weigh at maintenance eating that number of calories. If it is within your goal weight or a bit higher stick to that intake and you will lose down to that weight.
    It is eating at your goal maintenance to lose weight. I did it accidentally and it worked fine, slow at the last 5lbs though.

Cheers, h.