How do you remember accurate amounts of things when your logging?

Options
I am really not good at logging in for the app and all my foods every day I always forget the things in the accurate amounts that I ate or the type of thing when I do it later and I dont always have time that I need to do it when I actually eat. How do you remember to work out the right things every day and specially when it matters a lot to be accurate because my bmr is pretty low. does anyone have any tips I can use?

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sticky notes and prelogging
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I always have my phone on me. I log everything before I eat it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Super memory at this point, lol! But I always keep random papers in hand to write things down as I go.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above and am thinking that if this is important enough for you, you will either remember what/how much you ate or log in a timely manner.
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I use my laptop in the kitchen all the time...just take it in with you and log before you eat. Every night I sit down, at my laptop, and pre-log my breakfast and lunch for the next day. Then when I get home from work I have my phone or my laptop in the kitchen with me as I'm cooking and I pre-log my dinner before I eat it. It's a good habit to get into.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    sosteach wrote: »
    If it is important to you then you will stop making excuses.

This ^^. I've changed my mind 3 times about my afternoon snack. I didn't eat it till I logged it. For me, NO excuses.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I log as I go on my phone (the app is so much easier for logging!), pre-log/plan or write down how many grams of things in say my salad and enter them when I can
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I log everything before I eat it. This is my main diet rule. I will often log my lunch box contents as I pack them then I can eat up to all of it but for example I packed a cheese stick I did not eat today and I unlogged it after I got home.
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it. Pre-logging is the most important thing. If I didn't I'd probably over eat long before the end of the day and then have to starve myself to make my goal.

Personally, I usually eat the same thing for breakfast on weekdays since I have to leave very early for work. Premake lunches and weigh everything as I go and either log it or write it on the container so come the day I eat it I'll have measurements wherever I am. I usually make meals a few days out. It does take some planning and effort when you're making the food but it is so much easier during the busy week. Another thing to keep in mind is habits only develop if you keep at it. It might seem hard and annoying at first but if you do it on a consistent basis you'll just think of it as another part of your day to day life.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,624 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight, and after a few high calorie surprises, the "rule" was that nothing would be eaten until it was logged on MFP. <-- that also taught me to not wait till I was totally famished before eating my next meal.

Now that I am no longer trying to lose weight, I might take a picture, or jot some numbers on a napkin or scrap piece of paper, or even "remember" that I am supposed to log xx grams of this or that.

When I "remember" I know that, with the best of intentions, I am going to forget something or otherwise record it with a slight variation.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I prelog as well. At 1200 calories I don't take many nibbles and I usually eat within my logging. Tomorrow I'm going to a birthday party. I'll try to guess what they'll have, like veggies, cake, guacamole, etc. and try to not hit the chips (I really want a piece of cake!). Most events I can plan for, but this one will be difficult.
  • WeighandPray
    WeighandPray Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If I don't prelog, I log when I start eating. It usually takes me less than 90 seconds. Probably even half that.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Like most others I pre-log, and have most everything measured out and ready to go.