I'm 27 tomorrow. People over 30, what advice do you have for me before my 20s are over?

Options
2»

Replies

• Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    hellvee wrote: »
    Go camping

I thought you were leaving your phone behind.
  • 123liveoak
    123liveoak Posts: 2,239 Member
    Options
    hellvee wrote: »
    Chores to be done first puts a rattle in the plans always

Unless you are giving me dating pep talks :# ...i may need some for tonight
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to do what you want.
    "Before your 20's are over"...don't feel like there is some kind of count down age wise...you'r as old as you have ever been and as young as you'll ever be right now...just do what you want as best you can. Life is short, or maybe it's long, who knows.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what she said. I just turned 31 and feel no different than 21, I just have more money and a better job. Anything I didn't do yet in my 20's I do now...
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what others think. Because those who matter don't mind, and those who don't mind, matter.

No really. Do what you like. Don't look for advice from others on how to be or what to do. What do you want to do? Where do you see yourself in ten years? Make your dreams come true. And only you know your dreams. If you want to retire rich, save. If you want to travel, travel. If you want a big house, work hard and get it.

Only you know what you want. So make it happen.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The only thing is to enjoy every moment you have. So it doesn't matter what your age. Be careful and mindful as best you can so that you can keep regretful choices at bay.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    At 40, I agree with everything (pretty much) being said in this thread. One thing I did was panic at 27 about the end of my youth and hitting 30...and while I don't think that was remotely necessary (the panicking), it made me get my act together re: career and finances. Post-college I was underemployed and in a lot of consumer debt. Buckling down *hardcore* at 27-29 meant I actually hit 30 debt-free and in a much better position professionally. It was the best thing I ever did for myself (even better than losing 130 lb). There were some very pathetic months when I was paying more to credit cards and old bills than to my actual monthly expenses...but I'm very glad I did it, and was able to enjoy my thirties and now beginning my forties in a much different, "carefree" way.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

Invest the maximum into your 401k. Open a savings account in the next town; don't set up mobile access for withdrawals(too easy to get to), but DO set up direct deposit so that $30-$100 goes into it every pay period.

Resist the urge to buy useless knick-nacks. Resist the urge to buy ANYTHING until you've slept on it.

Never go to the grocery store without a list.

Beware of cheap cars, cheap paint, and cheap appliances-- they always cost you double in the long run.

Make your bed every morning and don't go to sleep if there are dishes in the sink.

Don't be afraid to walk away from acquaintances you've outgrown. Don't get involved in petty office politics UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Start building an adult friendship with your parents. They're pretty cool people, I bet.

Kiss a lot of frogs; one will end up being a prince. If not, at least you had a good time ;)

Have fun. Enjoy life now and plan for life later.

• Renaissance_Turtle
    Options
    Screw worrying about your age. It's just a number. Buy a *kitten* motorcycle & a good tent, learn to pack light & hit the road every weekend for some new scenery. It helps if you pack a fishing pole too.
    That's what I did in my 20's.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    always respond to your parole officer in a timely manner.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Drink water. Use sunscreen. Take care of your skin and body. It's so much easier to start off right than having to go back years later and try and undo the damage.
    Figure out who you really are and don't let others influence you in a way that you lose yourself.
    Find something you love to do and make it a priority. Whether it's painting or kayaking or sports. Just do it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Be frank. Tell me what crimes to cram into the last 3 years of my 20s bucket list, or what I should be preparing for? =)

The world doesn't end at 30 you know... :laugh:
  • aguy0980
    aguy0980 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I think your 30's are pretty awesome and you will get better as you age. I would suggest the following:

1. Start saving for your future now, choose a career path that you are passionate about.
    2. Have FUN, enjoy your friends and spend time with older relatives.
    3. Travel the world...explore new places and be adventurous.
    4. Skincare - Moisturize and sunscreen.
    5. Pay attention to your health, eat well and be active.
    BONUS: Love yourself and always know that you are worth it :)

Happy Birthday!!!!!
  • rdix333
    rdix333 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My only advice.... wear sunscreen.