Too fat, never going to lose weight!!

Options

Replies

• dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? (Height, starting weight, goal weight?)

I am down 113 lbs (20-ish to go) - there are no quick fixes. This took me over 2 years of sticking with a plan ... if you are committed and realize it is a long process, you CAN succeed!!

I am 5'5" and weigh about 235lbs .. My ultimate (wish) goal would be to weight what I did before I had my daughters (125lbs), of course that was about 20 years ago! I really just want to lose as much weight as I can (or that I need to) to feel good about myself, be healthier, not get out of breath going up ONE flight of stairs etc etc! Whether that ends up being 125lbs or 155lbs.

You do it one day at a time. And there will likely be bad days, days where you give in and overeat. But recognize that this is just one day and tomorrow is another day. Tomorrow you can do better. Don't be in such a hurry that you make yourself miserable. Slow and steady will lead to good results, less loose skin, better adherence, less discomfort.

Be kind to yourself and keep your eye on the goal. You'll get there. If you have children you know how time can fly. This time next year you will be so much closer to your goal. Best of luck!

I definitely know fast time goes because I do have kids!!! That’s so true!! Thank you!
  • dawn_westbury
    Options
    pamfgil wrote: »
    I was your starting weight, I'm now down 60 pds approx after 215 days, plus I'm an inch shorter. Aim for improvement, keep focused on the next 5 or ten pounds and remember the time will pass anyway, do you want to be in a better position next year?

That’s so true and I often think about how time goes on either way!!
  • dawn_westbury
    Options
    Such good advice I appreciate it all!! I have started by trying to limit my soda intake!!! So horrible I know!!
  • dawn_westbury
    Options
    And oh my gosh, I have to try this Halo ice cream EVERYONE has been talking about!!!!!! Going grocery shopping Monday, planning on making some good choices and thinking about what to buy this weekend!
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What are your stats? (Height, starting weight, goal weight?)

I am down 113 lbs (20-ish to go) - there are no quick fixes. This took me over 2 years of sticking with a plan ... if you are committed and realize it is a long process, you CAN succeed!!

I am 5'5" and weigh about 235lbs .. My ultimate (wish) goal would be to weight what I did before I had my daughters (125lbs), of course that was about 20 years ago! I really just want to lose as much weight as I can (or that I need to) to feel good about myself, be healthier, not get out of breath going up ONE flight of stairs etc etc! Whether that ends up being 125lbs or 155lbs.

I'm 5'3" and I started at 230lbs. I'm at 180lbs today. Seriously just take one day at a time. Once I started seeing results it was much easier.

I told myself I was too fat for years. I said what's the point but I couldn't bear the idea of getting any bigger so I signed up for MFP. You're on the right track.

All it takes is time.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Forget the big goal. Forget motivation. Change your habits.
    Start by logging everything you eat before you eat it.
    Then set mfp to 1 to 2 lbs and start sticking to the calories it gives you logging exercise and eating half your exercise back.
    Get a weight trend app Libra or happy scale and weigh yourself every morning.
    Stick with it
    Progress will happen
  • Crystalcrown
    Crystalcrown Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the exact same way it's sooo discharging if anyone would like to add me to help me with my journey feel free
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey, I always felt like that so for years I just never bothered to diet or would make attempts but my commitment was never in it until I reached my biggest of 308 lbs, I was miserable and anxious and had been for so so long, I decided to start in January to change my lifestyle to a healthier one and I have not looked back, as of yesterday I weigh 225 lbs, I still have a long way to go as my target is to be between 120 - 140 lbs but even when I reach that I know I am going to have to maintain this so I am in it for the long haul and thats what you have to tell yourself, make changes that will benefit you for a long time, have cheat days if you like but continue the next day, don't give up if you gain weight as it is going to happen, anything is possible when you change your perspective and you heart is in it, yes you will have days where you cannot be bothered to exercise or you are sick of watching what you eat and you either take a day off and then continue the next day or you just plough through that, keep your mind occupied to curb the cravings, make little goals instead of looking at the big goal, I spent many many years eating what I liked and spending most of my days sitting on my couch, I now exercise which I never thought I'd do.. I have more energy than I know what to do with and nearly 7 months into this lifestyle change and I have lost 83 lbs so If I can do this then so can you :) I wish you all the best, feel free to add me if you like :)
  • spionen
    spionen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The first few days were by far the hardest for me. After that, weight loss became like a totally addictive drug. Seeing and feeling pounds coming off, seeing lower and lower numbers on the scale, starting to crave the healthier/lower-calorie foods I eat now instead of junk, all that stuff feels great. I bet once you just drop the first few pounds (which takes no time at all!) you won't want to stop.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Just focus on losing the *next* pound. And when that comes off, focus on the *next* pound. Don't look beyond the next pound. They will add up. You can do this.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, lots and lots of comments here. Here is what I will contribute (something different, unless I missed it....).

So, it is important to know your starting point. You know your gender, your age, your height, your weight and your level of activity. However, what are you eating every day? What is your caloric intake? How does that look?

So, my suggestion would be to track WHAT YOU EAT NOW. Do that for one week. Be honest with your self....do not change anything just because you are tracking it. You need this to be as honest and complete as possible.

That is going to show you what your current caloric intake is. Once we know this, we can proceed. But, we need to know your starting point. Whatever it is. No one is going to judge you on whatever it might be.

In parallel to that - how much water do you drink each day?

Finally, what is your energy level like? Honest question. And, important.

Just my $0.02 on this. This is what I would do were I in your shoes. I would want to know EXACTLY what I am doing. I mean, you can not really fix an issue if you do not know what it is, right? Yes - it seems clear what the issue is. But, is it really as clear as we might think? Let's find out.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @LizethChavez10 - I like where you are going with this (I think). I am thinking reverse diet, potentially, as well. But, let's allow the details from the what she is currently eating to help us determine the answer. But really sounds like a good reverse diet *could* be in order. Just maybe!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @dawn_westbury Like someone said (and I will paraphrase) - be kind to yourself. You are human, right? You will fall during this journey. BFD! We all stumble....the question is not if but when, right? I would suggest that the real question is what happens when you stumble? Learn from that. It is not failure. It is a learning experience. You did something....something that you maybe did not want happened as a result so now you know, right? You only fail when you quit. PERIOD!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    I blog/vlog about this a lot at times. It's one of the conversations that I think is sorely lacking from the support communities, and I'm determined to change it.

I started out nearly 400lbs overweight at 535lbs HW. I told myself that I needed to focus on commitment to a plan and invested in my success. Made myself use trackers, engaged with mental health professionals, routinely checked in with my doctors to make sure I was measuring by what *really* matters for weight... Which is not your appearance, but rather your health parameters. During the times where the weight stalled out or I couldn't see a change, my bloodwork indicated otherwise and that I was making myself much healthier in my effort to just try. At the beginning, I was definitely in a mental space where I'd given up, that the finish line was sooooo far away, why even try? So my first focus was not on the calorie cuts or the exercise burns, but rather on tracking my water, fiber and general caloric intake, and working on my mental health and self-worth issues first. When you find the switch to turn your brain from self-deprecation and worthlessness to believing that you're worth an investment, I've found that the progress and effort is much easier. I firmly believe that becoming extremely overweight, for most people, is not a matter of relationship with food, but an issue with the relationship with self.

I'm down ~240lbs at this point, and have another 100 or so to go to be "average". I'm about 50lbs from my high goal. To give an idea, however... I started my efforts in 2011. Yes, that's 6 years. I haven't always been perfect, I've had downfalls and health scares and got off track but the point is that you always, always push to move forward, be better than you were yesterday.

Give yourself permission to be imperfect. Feel free to get in touch... OP or anyone else. I'll be happy to share in the story.

Wow, amazing story - thanks for sharing!
  • dawn_westbury
    Options
    So, lots and lots of comments here. Here is what I will contribute (something different, unless I missed it....).

So, it is important to know your starting point. You know your gender, your age, your height, your weight and your level of activity. However, what are you eating every day? What is your caloric intake? How does that look?

So, my suggestion would be to track WHAT YOU EAT NOW. Do that for one week. Be honest with your self....do not change anything just because you are tracking it. You need this to be as honest and complete as possible.

That is going to show you what your current caloric intake is. Once we know this, we can proceed. But, we need to know your starting point. Whatever it is. No one is going to judge you on whatever it might be.

In parallel to that - how much water do you drink each day?

Finally, what is your energy level like? Honest question. And, important.

Just my $0.02 on this. This is what I would do were I in your shoes. I would want to know EXACTLY what I am doing. I mean, you can not really fix an issue if you do not know what it is, right? Yes - it seems clear what the issue is. But, is it really as clear as we might think? Let's find out.

I logged what I have eaten a few days over the week and I’ve been as high as almost 3,000 cals and as low as about 2,000. Based on a TDEE calc my maintenance cals are about 2,100 .. at this point I’m not gaining but not losing (obviously). I have also suffered with binge eating FOREVER but started meds this past March and that is more controlled (hence not gaining), the urgency of I HAVE TO EAT N EAT OR IM GOING TO DIE is better but I am still struggling with the anxiety of waking up and realizing I “can’t” do this or that. (As in just eat without thinking about it). I don’t drink water much AT ALL, I drink Dr Pepper etc way too much! I have this weekend started drinking more water in place of soda. And energy, what’s that??