Any Active people with fibromyalgia.

Options
Hi i know that may seem like a contradiction but i live in hope. I am 46 i have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for 6 years. I am still very active dancing 6 hours a week and lifting weights. I also walk my dog twice a day. Im tired of being told i cant have fibromyalgia because im too active but believe me I can tell I have. I used to run half marathons before this and now I can't run at all. Anyone like me who would like support.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    People can have fibro to different extents and with different symptoms. I am one of the fortunate ones who was not debilitated by it. At the same time, I decided that I wasn't going to let fibro, arthritis, etc, etc, define my journey back to health and fitness. You've got to start somewhere and do what you can and progress as you are able.
  • Dozyrunner
    Dozyrunner Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with fibro about a year ago after having suffered with chronic pain, fatigue, ibs and other symptoms for many years. Also have arthritis which causes more pain particularly in the back. I've spent the last year feeling sorry for myself and coming to terms with having a chronic condition that has resulted in many lifestyle changes. One way of dealing unfortunately was comfort eating
  • Dozyrunner
    Options
    ... But I have now decided that one aspect that I can control is my weight so have started moving more and eating less. One month in and I already feel much better. However I do dread a flare up which might potentially knock me back
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 255 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi! I have fibro and I'm pretty active. I've had it for probably 20 years but was finally diagnosed 10 years ago. I suffered through some pretty bad flares leaving me on the couch for days but compared to a lot of people I didn't have it bad.

I opted to not take any meds for it other than some muscle relaxers and pain pills on an as needed basis. I take a good multi vitamin specifically for fibro which really helps. I changed my eating habits considerably. I'm not 100% on it but I cut out grains, dairy and sugar and it made a world of difference. I don't drink any more either, not that I drank much.

I've remained mostly active through the years and often found that I felt better when I am active even if I had to force myself. I am busy training dogs a lot of the time but I also hike, swim and just this summer got serious into mountain biking. I also learned to SUP and plan on buying a board once I get my bike paid off.

It's been a couple years since I've had a bad flare. I've had some small ones that last maybe a day but I find I get those in the spring when it's wet and cold.

I also did some research and found they think having a leaky gut can cause fibro and other autoimmune diseases. I went to an ND and she diagnosed me with an overgrowth of candida in my system which can cause leaky gut. I spent a year being treated for it through diet and antifungals and I feel so much better all around.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Hiya.

I've had fibro for many years. I wasn't really active until a few years ago. I lift, walk and jog. Medication does help a lot.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have to be active--it's the only way I have to deal with the fibro.

I've been slowed down by another injury lately, but I usually only take breaks when I am having a very severe flare. I like to get about 20 hours of exercise each week. I walk, garden, swim, do social dancing, do dance fitness and lift weights.
  • Dozyrunner
    Options
    Further to my comment above I am now going through the dreaded flare up
  • Dozyrunner
    Options
    ... Severe vertigo brought on by work stress. Bullying relating to disability by a colleague. 2nd time this has happened. Gutted I wasn't able to go for my morning walk/run. And angry that she is having a negative impact on my good intentions
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps relieve my symptoms is exercise. I lift (wimpy, but heavy to me) weights, do yoga, and swim. Sometimes my flares knock me out, and it's a downward spiral because not exercising exacerbates my pain and fatigue, but since being cleared for exercise a couple years ago, I've managed to be active more often than not, and that has made all the difference.

I have limited mobility. On a good day, I can get in 2000 steps; on a bad day, a painful 200. I have to constantly plan my days and estimate the walking needed to see if I need my scooter or wheelchair that day. Sometimes I'm overly optimistic and get stuck. Walking, dancing, and running used to be my favorite exercise, and those are out, but I've learned to love what I can do. :smile:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Doesn't help, but I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few years ago. Turned out doctors got it wrong and I was in fact deficient in Vitamin B12. Since being on shots (I need every three weeks) my problems have vanished.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fibro 2 years ago. I exercise twice day because it helps with aches and stress. My morning workout is the hardest, usually HIIT, plyometrics, or circuit weight training videos. After work is an hour of light jogging or elliptical. I do step, kickbox, and spinning dvds on the weekends. When I get an occasional flare (maybe every other month), I cut back to lower impact dvd's or YouTube videos or outdoor walking. I find the fresh air helps. I get in about 10000 to 25000 steps per day. I don't take meds, they gave me hallucinations.
  • KathleenMarshall0128
    Options
    I have had fibromyalgia for nearly 20 years. I try to do yoga every day and have started doing C25K. It's difficult (I am in so much pain today I've been crying half the morning) but I feel like if I can lose weight (I'm 50 pounds overweight) I will feel better. And if I don't keep moving I get stiff and just feel worse.

I have a small homestead so I also have animals to take care of. Exhausting as it is, I keep doing it because it makes me move even when I don't want to.

I struggle to stay motivated though. The pain gets bad and I give up. So I'm constantly starting over. I don't take any meds because they don't help and cause side effects (I can feel lousy medication free; why pay for meds that make me feel lousy lol). My doctor doesn't like to give me pain pills so I just suffer. I also have migraines that defy treatment, so I am always in pain 24/7. But that's my life. I still have to live.

If anyone wants to add me, I'd appreciate friends who understand the struggle.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    My mom had fibro and COPD. She hated being sedentary, so she did chair aerobics and walked as much as she could. She really loved it and said it made her feel so much better, and she was able to regain some other strength when she was able to add hand weights into the mix.
  • MeemawCanDoIt
    MeemawCanDoIt Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and must stay fairly active or the pain in much worse. You absolutely can be active and still have fibromyalgia. Meds helped me considerably (Cymbalta).