Interval based training metabolic aftershock

Options
I have been following this system for a few months now, only 15 mins three times a week. Not sure how much calories this burns but would like to add it to my diary, any advice?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Describe what you actually do in this 15 minute workout but with such a short duration it's not going to be very significant in term of calories.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    If this is your only exercise for the week, no matter the intensity, I highly doubt is enough to make any difference.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd log it as 15 minutes walking, over the week it'll give you an extra 150 for your weekend.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Should add not to listen to his sales pitch that 15 minutes will reset your metabolism and burn fat fast.

It's rubbish to try and sell his work out plan.
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Your comment made me do a little Googling as hadn't heard of this before....

From the site:
    "But only certain forms of exercise have been scientifically proven to force your body to change, adapt and turn on your fat-burning potential."

What a load of cobblers! My woo meter just went all the way to eleven.

Well TRUE HIIT does increase EPOC, I'd argue a great many people doing interval training aren't doing true HIIT.
    As far as resetting metabolism or whatever, yeah that's kinda nonsense.

I think that claim is the classic example of someone "running with it" without actually knowing what they're talking about.
    20-30 minutes of HIIT is MORE effective than the same amount of steady state cardio (and by a somewhat significant amount too from what I understand), it's not some magic thing.

If you can sustain the intensity for 30 minutes you're not doing HIIT.

Any exercise that breaks down muscle tissue will produce EPOC.

HIIT can't be more or less effective, only better or worse for a specific goal. And the exercise world isn't intervals and steady state only, it's a gradient. Actual steady state cardiovascular exercise is pretty rare.

And, in order to see clear contrasts, most "HIIT vs steady state" studies set the steady state intensity at 50%-60%.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you're actually doing true high intensity intervals, 15 minutes is a lot, and burns more calories than most folks on this thread seem to think. The primary benefit of HIIT is that it does a lot in a little time. I log my HIIT cycling at 200 cal / 15 minutes, and my weight loss has consistently been higher than predicted - down 96 lbs currently. Sometimes I get sick of doing HIIT and do other cardio instead, and my rate of loss slows. It does work. Just FYI in case any diabetics are reading this, it's also the most effective way I've found of quickly lowering blood glucose levels. Doesn't work for everyone, for some diabetics the stress hormones from high intensity exercise actually raise levels, but for me I can reliably drop my levels from 150 to the high 70s in 15 minutes. The main problem with HIIT is that it's only HIIT if it's high intensity FOR YOU - which means that you must keep upping your intensity as you become better conditioned.

You say you've been doing this for several months - you should have some idea by now of how fast you are losing weight, which should give you a rough idea of how many calories you are burning in a day. Figure out how many you should be burning at your base activity level, factor in your food, and see if there's anything left over.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you're actually doing true high intensity intervals, 15 minutes is a lot, and burns more calories than most folks on this thread seem to think. The primary benefit of HIIT is that it does a lot in a little time. I log my HIIT cycling at 200 cal / 15 minutes, and my weight loss has consistently been higher than predicted - down 96 lbs currently. Sometimes I get sick of doing HIIT and do other cardio instead, and my rate of loss slows. It does work. Just FYI in case any diabetics are reading this, it's also the most effective way I've found of quickly lowering blood glucose levels. Doesn't work for everyone, for some diabetics the stress hormones from high intensity exercise actually raise levels, but for me I can reliably drop my levels from 150 to the high 70s in 15 minutes. The main problem with HIIT is that it's only HIIT if it's high intensity FOR YOU - which means that you must keep upping your intensity as you become better conditioned.

You say you've been doing this for several months - you should have some idea by now of how fast you are losing weight, which should give you a rough idea of how many calories you are burning in a day. Figure out how many you should be burning at your base activity level, factor in your food, and see if there's anything left over.
    @rheddmobile
    How are you coming by those calorie estimates?
    What are your intervals?
    What's your FTP?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

@rheddmobile
    How are you coming by those calorie estimates?
    What are your intervals?

Well, I started from the estimates given by MFP for stationary bike, and averaged them with the actual calorie burn recorded on my bike. MFP has stationary bike, vigorous, 10 minutes at 140, very vigorous for 5 minutes at 84. I've been ramping the difficulty over time as I got used to it. Currently doing 5 repeats of two minutes at 22 mph on a moderate hill setting with 1 minute at 27 on a higher hill setting. Can't recall what rpm that is but it's something like 92 and 111. My bike generally gives me about 300 cal for a 15 minute session. I do eat back my exercise calories, and I continue to lose weight at or above predicted.

Actual HIIT is no joke. If you are not soaked in sweat and unable to talk after 15 minutes, it's not HIIT. It is definitely not the easy way out or a shortcut.