Gaining too fast? Bulking side effects?

Hi!
I am trying to bulk --a month into my journey--and am eating 1950 which is at maintenance or for a .5 lb per week gain depending on if I enter lightly active or active.
I am lifting progressively heavy and have quit the cardio (recovering cardio queen, underweight, etc needed to change!). I am 5'7" and now 116 but those two pounds just got added on in a week. I was hovering at 114 for about a month; had been about 111 all summer.
I know I should go more how I feel and look but it is hard to see the numbers go up even though that is what I want.
I have read that it is common when reintroducing carbs and eating more that you get more bloated and stuff --
I do want to gain but obviously not a lot a fat. So my question is, I really don't think I should lower my calorie intake, but I should not gain too fast either right?

Replies

• rachelfetterley
    rachelfetterley Posts: 19 Member
    You've changed too many things at once and are being impatient.

Pick a calorie goal, keep your activity similar and monitor your results for 4-8 weeks.
    I have patience I'm just wondering how fast I should gain.

• rachelfetterley

You haven't gained 2lbs of fat eating at 1950, that is IF you are eating that amount. For your height your maintenance cals should be higher (I would guess around 2300-2400 perhaps more).

Its always going to be hard seeing numbers go up but you know its the right thing for your health.

And yes, if you have reintroduced carbs then some of that 'gain' could be from your glycogen stores replenishing but after a few weeks that should have settled.

Don't lower your intake from 1950 but do log as accurately as possible so you know that is how much you are eating for sure. I'm much smaller (5ft 2) and I maintain on around 2000 calories so you really don't want to go lower.

If that scale number bothers you then you might need to start concentrating on taking measurements rather than the scale.

And rather than think badly of gaining, accept that you need to be say 130lbs for example, and know that if you are around that weight then its fine, you are healthy and you will still be lean - so much of our body issues can be in our heads and they manifest themselves negatively, but be positive and ban any negative thoughts ok :smile:

All the best,
    Ruth.
    Thanks Ruth! This is all new territory and I am unaccustomed to the bulking aspect of things!
    I don't want to be skinny just healthy and fit. Thanks for reinforcing that my calorie intake isn't too high
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2017

Pick a calorie goal, keep your activity similar and monitor your results for 4-8 weeks.

0.25 to 0.5 lb per week gain sounds about right, hoping someone else with more knowledge on trying to gain will chime in here though!
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    very few people can add more than 1-3 pounds of lean mass per month without pharmaceutical assistance.
  • rachelfetterley
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Do you know your average weight gain for 4-8 weeks so far? That is what he meant by patience.

Yes you will gain sort of fast at first if you were restricting carbs to your diet previously. Glycogen storage replenishing with the water weight that accompanies the storage is quite normal.

Since July 30, about 5 lbs.

• ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    I am new to the bulking world as well! So this discussion is helpful!! I have had so many doubts and fears going into this season, and it's reassuring that gaining weight is okay! Thanks everyone!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Do you know your average weight gain for 4-8 weeks so far? That is what he meant by patience.

Yes you will gain sort of fast at first if you were restricting carbs to your diet previously. Glycogen storage replenishing with the water weight that accompanies the storage is quite normal.

Since July 30, about 5 lbs.

Then you've gained about 1 lb/week on average. If you've gone immediately from a carb restricted cut to a bulk, depending on the aggressiveness of your cut, you may see larger fluctuations in the beginning of your bulk cycle, and unless you've eaten an extra 3500kcal / week above your TDEE, you can be assured that it isn't 5 lbs of fat. If you are just starting to lift (from your statement of recovering cardio queen), then muscle inflammation, fluid flux, glycogen status, bowel mass, hydration levels, etc. are all going to play a part in that. I can gain 5 lbs overnight if I drink enough water before I go to bed. Doesn't mean it's fat or that it's bad. Water has no energy status, but it has mass.

All of this. And as a female we can be more prone to fluctuations so it can be more helpful to reassess in more like 8 weeks to see where you are with gains and adjust from there.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited September 2017
    Weighing yourself everyday at the same time on the same scale and taking your average weight for the week might be something to consider. Not sure how you are doing this.

And, as others have stated, women's weight might fluctuate a little more than that of us men (due to your menstrual cycle). So, tracking over a longer period of time (such as two or three months) might be useful for you.

And, yes - that is difficult for me to tell you (patience.....UGH!!!!!). But, it would be really useful.

And, now that you have been doing this for one month, it might be a good time to take a step back and consider:

1. How accurate am I measuring/weighing my food? Am I sure that I am doing the proper "serving size"?
    2. Am I really getting everything? It is really easy to innocently not include something. I just had an "oh, c**p!" moment with coffee. I had a little coffee with my creamer. I was not counting the creamer. So, I made things easy for myself - I no longer put creamer in my coffee. My point here is - it is really easy to miss something...or, to guess incorrectly.
    3. Am I modifying my numbers as time passes? I was at X weight one month ago. Now, I am at X + y. Am I running the numbers each month? Sticking with the same numbers the entire bulk will be inaccurate.

Make sense?

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    And, I am pretty sure that I helped you with your BMR and TDEE.....correct? I wanted to make this a separate post just in case I am remembering incorrectly.
  • rachelfetterley
    Weighing yourself everyday at the same time on the same scale and taking your average weight for the week might be something to consider. Not sure how you are doing this.

And, as others have stated, women's weight might fluctuate a little more than that of us men (due to your menstrual cycle). So, tracking over a longer period of time (such as two or three months) might be useful for you.

And, yes - that is difficult for me to tell you (patience.....UGH!!!!!). But, it would be really useful.

And, now that you have been doing this for one month, it might be a good time to take a step back and consider:

1. How accurate am I measuring/weighing my food? Am I sure that I am doing the proper "serving size"?
    2. Am I really getting everything? It is really easy to innocently not include something. I just had an "oh, c**p!" moment with coffee. I had a little coffee with my creamer. I was not counting the creamer. So, I made things easy for myself - I no longer put creamer in my coffee. My point here is - it is really easy to miss something...or, to guess incorrectly.
    3. Am I modifying my numbers as time passes? I was at X weight one month ago. Now, I am at X + y. Am I running the numbers each month? Sticking with the same numbers the entire bulk will be inaccurate.

Make sense?
    And, I am pretty sure that I helped you with your BMR and TDEE.....correct? I wanted to make this a separate post just in case I am remembering incorrectly.

Hi I don't think so....re: the BMR and TDEE, I will look back through my replies.....but if you want to help me again ;) I think I understand what you are saying regarding #3 in your first response. That my numbers should increase if my weight is....i.e. if I weigh 116 now instead of 114 then my maintenance cals. would go up (slightly). I AM guilty of not counting everything. I am 95% meticulous though....but a treat at night might not be completely measured correctly. Or if I have a glass of wine maybe it was 7 oz. and not 5.......

Thanks for your help!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    No worries......your stats (age, height and weight) sounded very familiar to me for some reason. All good. I will gladly help.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    So, assuming that I have the details correct....here is what I have for you:

Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 116lbs

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,269 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,523 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,745 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 1,967 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,189 calories per day
    Athlete 2,411 calories per day

So, the BMR is exactly that. The PAL (Physical Activity Level) determines the "multiplier" used to determine your TDEE. I took the liberty to list all of them.

If any of the details that I used to calculate this information is wrong (your age is the thing where I am not sure) please let me know as it will change the information for you.

And, please keep in mind that these formulas and the results are simply starting points. Everyone is different (genetics, life style, nutritional history, et al) and these formulas generally provide a good starting point. So, I want to be very clear about this....the numbers above (assuming that the details I used are correct) are a STARTING POINT.

And, keep in mind that the numbers above are your TDEE. So, if you are trying to gain weight then you would need to add calories appropriately. As an example, adding 500 calories a day (or, 3,500 calories a week) will generally result in a gain of 1lb a week. So, adjust according to your goal.

Make sense?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    As stated, calculators are starting points, obviously variable as humans are variable. The absolute best thing to do is adjust based on results. You're getting there with enough data but I'd give it a few more weeks to really know what the trend is.

Logging accuracy isn't the be all and end all, if you are gaining as you should then you're all good. Things going a bit wrong either way then tighten up.
  • rachelfetterley
    So, assuming that I have the details correct....here is what I have for you:

Height: 5'7"
    Weight: 116lbs

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,269 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,523 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,745 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 1,967 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,189 calories per day
    Athlete 2,411 calories per day

So, the BMR is exactly that. The PAL (Physical Activity Level) determines the "multiplier" used to determine your TDEE. I took the liberty to list all of them.

If any of the details that I used to calculate this information is wrong (your age is the thing where I am not sure) please let me know as it will change the information for you.

And, please keep in mind that these formulas and the results are simply starting points. Everyone is different (genetics, life style, nutritional history, et al) and these formulas generally provide a good starting point. So, I want to be very clear about this....the numbers above (assuming that the details I used are correct) are a STARTING POINT.

And, keep in mind that the numbers above are your TDEE. So, if you are trying to gain weight then you would need to add calories appropriately. As an example, adding 500 calories a day (or, 3,500 calories a week) will generally result in a gain of 1lb a week. So, adjust according to your goal.

Make sense?

Thanks so much for your help! 32? I wish! I am 42. Everything else is correct, however today I did weigh in at 114.8. I know it's been one 116 all week so probably just a fluke thing.
    I will look for an update. I again really appreciate your help! I posted this before, didn't really get a clear-cut answer. So I'll ask you. Should I add in my exercise calories when trying to eat in a surplus?
    Thx!!