Is loose skin inevitable?

Options
tanny20171
tanny20171 Posts: 46 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
This is my belly. It's a fat belly. But it isn't the fattest part of me. I'm now freaking out though that I'll end up with a big apron of skin. I'm 5ft 7 and 235lbs, have about 95 to lose. Should I start saving now for surgery, or is there a chance it will be okay? Would love to hear from anyone that has had experiences with loose skin, good or bad. Thankyou xx

Replies

• tanny20171
    Options
    There is no way to know for sure. I've lost 62 pounds and have some loose skin on my arms and legs. My lower abdomen has some as well and I still have at least 30 pounds of loss to go, but it looks so much better than it did 62 pounds ago!

My thought process regarding skin surgery is that if you can't handle having loose skin, start saving for surgery now. If you don't end up needing the surgery, you will have a solid amount of savings for something you want. Having the money in savings is never a bad thing.

That's very true actually, thanks x
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on how old you are, your genetics, and how long you've been fat. I've gone from 272 to 177, and I have a lot of wrinkly skin on my lower belly and some on my thighs. The thighs are more of a problem since the belly can be completely covered by mid-height panties, but I have to wear shorts at least halfway to my knees to hide the thigh skin. My underarms / bra area also has some loose skin.

I'm 49, and I'm hoping that the loose skin improves over the next year or two. It's not bad enough for me to consider surgery.
  • janelleu1
    janelleu1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been asking the same question. Is there another option besides surgery?
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Genetics, age , speed of weight loss all make a difference
    People say skin tones up for a year or sopost loss
    Don't let it stop you from losing the weight. It is a good problem to have.
  • tanny20171
    Options
    I originally added this pic of my belly as I'm hoping that because I don't store as much weight on my belly as I do on other places, the apron might not be as bad. I think I may have other big issues though. At the moment my boobs are HH cup, last time I was slim they were still big but an E. So if they went back to an E that's a loss of at least four cup sizes, so I'd be likely to have droopy boobs with lots of skin and would need some kind of surgery for that. Also my Butt is huge so I will probably need a butt lift or some sort of work on my butt. It's a bit disheartening. I just hope I don't lose weight and end up looking worse. I know it should be for health but truly looking better is a huge part of it I think for everyone. But guess the only way to find out is to lose the weight and see what happens
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I lost from your weight to 130 and im 4 inches shorter, My loose skin is minimal. You could be fine.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    OP, your belly doesn´t look that big and you have a waist already. I was watching this program about the loose skin and these ladies had lost between 150-200 lbs. and had some kind of bariatric surgery. The advice to start saving is good. ITś a win win. If one needs the surgery the money is there. If not, one can go on a trip or do something positive with it.
  • tanny20171
    Options
    Can I ask how old you are? I'm 32 so might be too old for the skin to snap back
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's partially based on genetics/age and partially based on how quickly weight drops. I am 5'6" and started at 227 about 10 months ago. I'm now 183 and I have no loose skin. I'm losing slowly though (on purpose)
  • tanny20171
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    OP, your belly doesn´t look that big and you have a waist already. I was watching this program about the loose skin and these ladies had lost between 150-200 lbs. and had some kind of bariatric surgery. The advice to start saving is good. ITś a win win. If one needs the surgery the money is there. If not, one can go on a trip or do something positive with it.

Thanks. I'm in a weird situation I guess, although I'm very overweight I get complimented for my figure all the time, from men and women. Girls will come up to me in the bathroom on nights out (very slim girls) and tell me my figure is amazing, and I get hit on a lot. I think because I'm curvy, my bust is like 15 inches bigger than my waist. So I'm in the weird situation of worrying I will look worse once I've lost weight. It's very daunting
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Saving money for surgery is a great idea. If you end up not using it for surgery, you might consider another cosmetic procedure like cool sculpting or liposuction to improve whatever bothers you. But I'd wait a year and see how successful maintenance is first.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start saving now and if you don't need it, you can take a nice vacation! Win-win.
  • Mommin18
    Mommin18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    160 would probably be healthy. I am that height and 224 and while I too would love to be 130 I don't think it's worth the hanging skin. Lipo leaves holes and doesn't always look the best as a tuck. You could get to 180 and get a tummy tuck and look super skinny... having the huge boobs as well... that's an option for me too but lots of other stuff can be done w $7000-$10,000. As for the boobs just get a great bra when u get skinny and that's enough. It's better than anchor scars on your boobs from a reduction or lift (my mom had that, she should of kept her big boobs bc she lost more weight and they are a flat c now.)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    tanny20171 wrote: »
    Can I ask how old you are? I'm 32 so might be too old for the skin to snap back

Nah, my skin mostly snapped back and I was in my 40s when I lost that much weight. You never know.

The point is to be healthier, right? Even with lose skin, if you need to lose that weight, you will be vastly better off if you do it.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Your stomach looks pretty normal to me, I don't think you'll have much loose skin if you lose weight slowly and do strength training. Now mine, that is another story! lol