Interval based training metabolic aftershock

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's not my estimate, but the bike's estimate, and MFP's estimate.
    Hope you realise that's two very unreliable sources.

Glad it's working for you though.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    blomsj wrote: »
    I guess my experience doesn't exist, then. I'm OK with living an imaginary life, then.

The short, 15-minute HIIT workouts (or maybe the nay-sayers would be happier if I called it "baby HIIT") were indeed intense for me, but perhaps it wasn't as "horrible" as it should have been since it was modified. Percent intensity is percent intensity, one might argue. My 90% then was a far cry from my 90% now (especially considering I was having trouble with daily tasks by the point where I began), and I'm sure my 90% now won't compare to where I end up. Either way, I suppose it doesn't matter as much now, since I've graduated on to other longer-period forms of improving myself for now. I did enjoy the workouts enough that I'll definitely be looking into the "grown up" version of HIIT (since there's apparently a difference) once I'm stronger.

Kinda funny that some people think it's a disaster or inappropriate for someone like me (or at least where I started out) to do one of these workouts, seeing as it was recommended by one of my doctors. Then again, perhaps that's why it's "Baby HIIT." Even still, there must be something to gain even at that level, if they recommend it.

I'm not sure what you are referring to by "baby HIIT". When you say your "90%", are you talking about performing to 90% of max HR? Were you doing something less that full, all out, HIIT? If so, it may not really have been HIIT. (They seem to call everything HIIT these days) It may have been Interval Training but not High Intensity. Might have been Medium Intensity even though it felt like high to you. Still very useful and effective. And much better than sitting on the couch by a long shot!

As an example, I am very fit despite my age, 66. I weight train and I do various cardio, walking, running, intervals. I have done HIIT in the past. Warm up, through 15 minutes of work sets, through cool down it takes about 25 minutes. The work sets, either bike or sprints, are ALL OUT for 20 to 30 seconds. Then rest for 1.5 to 2 minutes. Then go again. By the 4th or 5th one, I feel like I might puke, my legs are burning, my lungs are burning and I'm wondering if I will pass out. That is High IntensityInterval Training. It is done at above 100% max HR.

The difference may be accurate terminology. What your doctor recommended may have been Interval Training and he called it HIIT. Heck, at Gym's these days they say they do 1 hour HIIT classes. If you can do it for an hour, it ain't HIIT.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I guess my experience doesn't exist, then. I'm OK with living an imaginary life, then.

The short, 15-minute HIIT workouts (or maybe the nay-sayers would be happier if I called it "baby HIIT") were indeed intense for me, but perhaps it wasn't as "horrible" as it should have been since it was modified. Percent intensity is percent intensity, one might argue. My 90% then was a far cry from my 90% now (especially considering I was having trouble with daily tasks by the point where I began), and I'm sure my 90% now won't compare to where I end up. Either way, I suppose it doesn't matter as much now, since I've graduated on to other longer-period forms of improving myself for now. I did enjoy the workouts enough that I'll definitely be looking into the "grown up" version of HIIT (since there's apparently a difference) once I'm stronger.

Kinda funny that some people think it's a disaster or inappropriate for someone like me (or at least where I started out) to do one of these workouts, seeing as it was recommended by one of my doctors. Then again, perhaps that's why it's "Baby HIIT." Even still, there must be something to gain even at that level, if they recommend it.
    If it was HIIT for you, it was HIIT for you, even if it wouldn't be for a more fit person. HIIT scales.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    By the way, you know what doesn't do a lot for weight loss? Steady state cardio.

There are certain aspects of science which people on these forums just can't deal with. This is one of them. I'm fine with all the cardio slaves marking my posts woo, while I keep losing weight, my blood pressure is perfect now, and my resting heart rate is lower and lower. Whatever. If you feel validated by spending hours of torture to get the same results, have at it.

Lmao someone's defensive
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    By the way, you know what doesn't do a lot for weight loss? Steady state cardio.
    I wouldn't say that. I have lots of older clients that cannot do HIIT of any sort due to joint issues and heart issues and steady state works fine as a way to help with calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mmapags
    Options

Well actually, the science doesn't support your statement. In the link I posted earlier Schoenfeld covers the actual science of the. Sounds like you would benefit from watching it. It's 50 minutes total but, IIRC, he details the fat burning of the various types of cardio at around the 20 minute mark.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I'm not sure what you are referring to by "baby HIIT". When you say your "90%", are you talking about performing to 90% of max HR? Were you doing something less that full, all out, HIIT? If so, it may not really have been HIIT. (They seem to call everything HIIT these days) It may have been Interval Training but not High Intensity. Might have been Medium Intensity even though it felt like high to you. Still very useful and effective. And much better than sitting on the couch by a long shot!

As an example, I am very fit despite my age, 66. I weight train and I do various cardio, walking, running, intervals. I have done HIIT in the past. Warm up, through 15 minutes of work sets, through cool down it takes about 25 minutes. The work sets, either bike or sprints, are ALL OUT for 20 to 30 seconds. Then rest for 1.5 to 2 minutes. Then go again. By the 4th or 5th one, I feel like I might puke, my legs are burning, my lungs are burning and I'm wondering if I will pass out. That is High IntensityInterval Training. It is done at above 100% max HR.

The difference may be accurate terminology. What your doctor recommended may have been Interval Training and he called it HIIT. Heck, at Gym's these days they say they do 1 hour HIIT classes. If you can do it for an hour, it ain't HIIT.

I'm differentiating, because people apparently think there's a difference between what this thread was started as (talking about 15 minute HIIT) and something else that is a "true"/"actual" HIIT.

The 15 minute HIIT training that was recommended to me used modified exercises based on a standard set they had, but either way, the summary was that I was supposed to give it my all during 20 second intervals (I was told I should be 100% effort or as close as I could push myself to do, which decreased through the workout as I became exhausted, which is where the 90% came from) to make the workout effective, which is where I got the percentage from above, with short rests between (10-60 seconds depending on whether the set was finished). I gave it my all during those times, and felt like roadkill afterward.

If that isn't HIIT, I guess I must misunderstand. It was enough to make a big difference for me until I was ready/able to get into "real" exercises/strength training. Sorry if that offends someone's sensibilities, but it's what happened for me, and that is why I commented on how some people were shutting things down needlessly. Just because it's 15 minutes doesn't render it ineffective or not worthwhile.

To condemn the possibility of a 15 minute HIIT program existing/being feasible/worthwhile because of one or more marketing ploys out there (again, haven't taken the time to evaluate the specific program, and don't intend to) is very unsporting. Shoot, if a 15-minute program can catch someone's eye and get them moving at full effort, versus not doing anything due to what they feel are time constraints/other obligations, it should be encouraged, at least with the proviso that they'll want to work toward something bigger to make a better long-term difference.

(Edited to correct punctuation.)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If you're working at a 7/10 or 8/10 during the work periods, that's aerobic intervals. It's not HIIT.

The problem doesn't lie in the practitioners, it lies in the industry, which has jumped on the HIIT train because it's trendy right now. They call all kinds of workouts "HIIT" when they're nothing of the sort. The trainers are either misinformed (because they've been sucked in by the hype too and don't know any better), or they're disingenuous (hawking a bogus product because they know it's trendy and popular).

There's nothing wrong with doing aerobic intervals, it's a valid training modality. HIIT can be a valid training modality as well, depending on one's goals and abilities. But no one training modality is mysteriously magical for anybody and everybody. And HIIT is probably the most overhyped of all (except maybe Crossfit, but I digress).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    This thread is full of unicorns and dragons.
  • mmapags
    Options
    A power meter is a device that measures the rate at which work is done. Basically, it measures energy input, like into a bike. They're highly accurate, and brutally honest. They take all the guess work out of things and tell you exactly where you stand.

Shops rent power meters. Out here, it's $75 for a week. Which is a bargain for the knowledge that provides. You can even rent one over the internet.

For calories, this method is never more than 5% off, and press and individual in the middle of that range. This is the best there is outside a lab.

HIIT doesn't burn many calories compared to a leisurely ride at lower intensity for somewhat more time. It demands much longer recovery periods. It burns mostly glycogen due to the intensity, so it induces more hunger. It's good leading up to a race, but not ideal for weight loss.

And it has some CNS impact which affects recovery time. One of the reasons it's not recommended to do HIIT more than a couple of times a week.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    A power meter is a device that measures the rate at which work is done. Basically, it measures energy input, like into a bike. They're highly accurate, and brutally honest. They take all the guess work out of things and tell you exactly where you stand.

Shops rent power meters. Out here, it's $75 for a week. Which is a bargain for the knowledge that provides. You can even rent one over the internet.

For calories, this method is never more than 5% off, and press and individual in the middle of that range. This is the best there is outside a lab.

HIIT doesn't burn many calories compared to a leisurely ride at lower intensity for somewhat more time. It demands much longer recovery periods. It burns mostly glycogen due to the intensity, so it induces more hunger. It's good leading up to a race, but not ideal for weight loss.
    Agree. HIIT from my perspective is to increase performance in things like sprints, MMA, boxing, swimming, etc.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    In response to the 80%:
    If indeed this was 80% as you hypothesize and it makes me feel like keeling over/roadkill, I don't know how I'd ever do 100% for a full sustained 20 seconds. I couldn't do more than I did, so one would think that's 100%. Couldn't begin to contemplate a conversation, let alone attempt at one. I guess I'll never be able to do 100% at this mythical definition you're giving it. The performance level dropped in each progressive set, but only because I couldn't do more.

As a point of comparison, I took a tabata-style water class before, which also had a similar split, but the instructor was telling us to work hard, but then later I was told I was overdoing it and should aim for "7/10." The comparison of effort between someone who saw me in real life and someone making suppositions on the internet who has never met me.... Well, I guess you'll have to forgive me for believing someone I've worked with who has seen what I've done, and what I believe effort is. And based on this information received from the instructor I've seen in person, I was doing

Regardless, even IF I was doing 80%, that does not nullify the chance for someone else to get a good HIIT workout (though short) in 15 minutes, which was the point that started this entire thing. A person can give 100%. Maybe it's not as long as someone would like, but it's not a perfect world (and don't people need to start *somewhere*?). It's still high intensity if done right, it's still intervals if done right.

A brief search of the internet brought up several other sites/threads where people are discussing 15-minute sessions and taking them seriously from a standpoint that indicates knowledge and experience (and experienced people treating forum questions from a mentor perspective rather than a dismissing perspective). It's disappointing that some people aren't doing that here. Adios, I've got better places to spend my time.
    Believe what you like. There are lots of journals of science and physiology that have covered this and that's what I'm referring to. Many instructors and trainers INCORRECTLY call something HIIT when it's not possibly to get more people to think they are better than they really are. Kinda like a lot of trainers using hand held bio impedance devices to tell clients that they are "gaining" muscle even if on a hard calorie deficit. Don't buy into all the hype.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png