How good is a trampoline?

Options
I have a pretty big trampoline for one person with all the nets around etc. It's pretty fun to mess around, but I began wondering, if jumping on it is in any way excersising my body. Please exclude everything calorie-burning related, because I am not interested in that. I am more interested in it's effect on cardiovascular system, core and leg muscles. The only thing I got out of google is that it's a medium excersise for calorie burning and health done for lots of minutes, so I am also wondering how long would I have to jump daily to see any effects. Also, does it have any bad effects on my brain jumping in my skull or knees absorbing all the shock the trampoline could not on landing?

Replies

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have a trampoline. If I use it with a heart rate monitor I can easily get in my 70-80% aerobic zone. If I modify the height or the motion I can get anaerobic no problem. One of the main advantages is that it is fun, so you don't even notice you're exercising.

The trampoline takes you from 0 g's at the top of the jump to about 1.5 g's at the bottom. The transition is gradual, so it is not likely to cause even as much injuries to your joints as running. However, use caution as if you drink alchohol and/or start doing flips it can get dangerous fast.

As far as your core and leg muscles, the load it places is gradual, not percussive as in running. So you can do trampoline work even if you have trouble running due to weight. You will feel it in your quadriceps as well as the entire posterior chain and to a lesser extent in your core muscles. If you start doing more technical jumps it becomes more of a full body exercise, but I would be cautious unless you have a trainer. You do not want to take a header off of a trampoline.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Trampolining can be a great workout. And the impact on your joints is much more lenient than jumping on other stuff.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I attend a weekly trampoline fitness class and I have some bomb legs! Have fun with it. Burpees will become so much harder because of the extra balance needed and squat jumps will provide a great burn. Even just jumping on one leg for a minute then switching legs will get your calves going strong. Have fun :)
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I know that there are some trampoline parks that offer classes, the one that I have locally is called Skyzone, maybe give them a call and ask about the benefits...they don't have to know you aren't coming to pay for their class ;)
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I specifically get my son to take his mom to skyzone for the exercise factor. 40 minutes of that and I'm worn out. Just don't ask me to do a flip. I tried once and I almost died.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    My only problem with trampolines is that they're so comfortable to lie down on. It's like trying to exercise in bed.