Special occasions make this feel impossible

Options
I'm struggling. When I'm at home during the week and have 100% control over my meals and portions, I do okay. On the weekend when it's someone's birthday, a housewarming party, wedding, basically any celebration with food... I fall off the wagon and hate myself. If I have a piece of cake then I feel like I ruined my diet for the day (which it kind of does because it takes up so many of my daily calories). If I don't have a piece of cake then I think about it for hours. Unfortunately, I'm not even kidding. I actually think about how bad I wanted *insert unhealthy food here.* I feel like I'm missing out by turning down drinks, dessert, etc... Any advice for someone new at losing weight/struggling?

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I eat a piece of cake I try to stick with just one. I log it. I've pre-logged the rest of the day and it'll push me into the red, which I hate. If I'm set to lose a pound a week 500 cal over one day won't make a big deal out of the 3500 cal/pound lost (or gained).
  • potatoyeti
    potatoyeti Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Their is no need to feel guilty. The reality is the harder you try to just eat clean the more likely you are to fail and regain weight in the long run. Basically it's okay to endulge every now and then your only human after all.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I pre-log what I want to consume before I go. Then I go for a run or a bike ride. So I eat a light lunch, log the cake and glass of wine, and see what's left over. And I don't chide myself if I go over my calorie budget for the day. Please don't beat yourself up, it really saps the joy out of life for no good reason.