cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited September 2017
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    What is your concern about the meat? Why "any restaurant in the continental US"? Chain restaurants are probably not going to satisfy your criteria.

Your best option is to look for a "farm to table" type place near you and ask them your question about how they handle their meat.

Because I want to avoid cancer,

If you violated all of those things your risk of cancer might increase from 5% to 5.01%. The math looks scary when they tell you a percentage of increased risk, but when you actually apply the math it's not even a notable rise.

But its still a increased risk. I heard processed meats are like breathing in asbetbos and smoking, and everyone except children SMOKING IS BAD.

No. Just no. All the time, a weekly new demon for you. Trying to walk this absurdly narrow path you have created for yourself based on scaremongering is kind of sad. Sit down and decide if a .001% increase is worth all this extra stress. Stress increases your risk of heart disease more than eating meat. You stress yourself out over tiny details of health that are nearly irrelevant.

This has to be true https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html
    That list doesn't even rank them by risk level, or amount of exposure needed. And it points out that some things put you at higher risk of one cancer, and lower of another. And the "processed meats" that they refer to are things treated with nitrates/nitrites.

I hope you don't live in California. Pretty much everything is labeled as possibly causing cancer- even untreated 4x4s. While science is getting more advanced, it's still not sure of the causes of all cancers, and some of these things are just so common that many people who come down with cancer have used them and they haven't been ruled out. Correlation does not equal causation.

Wait it doesn't have to be at a rank, it's the idea of being classified in the same list asbetbos,
    Why?

And asbestos depends on the form. Most types aren't that dangerous because they can't get in the air and into your lungs. I'm not worried about the tiles hidden under the laminate in my house.

The main idea is i just dont want to get any type of increased cancer risk from eating processed meat .

You worry too much about the things that don't matter and not enough about the things that do matter.

I not worried I'm just stating facts.
    You are actually exaggerating facts, the increased risk is very small.
  • cmtigger
    What is your concern about the meat? Why "any restaurant in the continental US"? Chain restaurants are probably not going to satisfy your criteria.

Your best option is to look for a "farm to table" type place near you and ask them your question about how they handle their meat.

If you violated all of those things your risk of cancer might increase from 5% to 5.01%. The math looks scary when they tell you a percentage of increased risk, but when you actually apply the math it's not even a notable rise.

But its still a increased risk. I heard processed meats are like breathing in asbetbos and smoking, and everyone except children SMOKING IS BAD.

No. Just no. All the time, a weekly new demon for you. Trying to walk this absurdly narrow path you have created for yourself based on scaremongering is kind of sad. Sit down and decide if a .001% increase is worth all this extra stress. Stress increases your risk of heart disease more than eating meat. You stress yourself out over tiny details of health that are nearly irrelevant.

This has to be true https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/general-info/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens.html
    That list doesn't even rank them by risk level, or amount of exposure needed. And it points out that some things put you at higher risk of one cancer, and lower of another. And the "processed meats" that they refer to are things treated with nitrates/nitrites.

I hope you don't live in California. Pretty much everything is labeled as possibly causing cancer- even untreated 4x4s. While science is getting more advanced, it's still not sure of the causes of all cancers, and some of these things are just so common that many people who come down with cancer have used them and they haven't been ruled out. Correlation does not equal causation.

Wait it doesn't have to be at a rank, it's the idea of being classified in the same list asbetbos,
    Why?

And asbestos depends on the form. Most types aren't that dangerous because they can't get in the air and into your lungs. I'm not worried about the tiles hidden under the laminate in my house.

The main idea is i just dont want to get any type of increased cancer risk from eating processed meat .

You worry too much about the things that don't matter and not enough about the things that do matter.

But its big enough remember 1

Why?

18 percent for the colon is pretty big.

I'm curious if you are over 18.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    edited September 2017
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Did you know asbestos exists in nature? You are exposed to all those things on that list at some point. If you are predisposed to cancer, you will get it, regardless. Plus, that article stated that the tests that they do is in huge concentration on animals - usually rats - that no normal human would consume, so just because it causes cancer in animals, doesn't mean it will in humans. But go ahead and continue to be terrified of eating some meat because that is far more enjoyable than not worrying about it, and living and enjoying your life.

ETA: and I am not a "sir" and no, I don't live in the UK.

Well I just don't want the "c" word, Mann.
    I still believe the site is telling the truth.

So you don't like what someone is saying and it's a woman so you want to call them a nasty word? Men get a free pass and you'll use a respectful term?

*Where did you get that math from?

I went to high school and college. I worked in accounting at my last job and my current job uses statistics. It's actually a really simple calculation.

As for the 5% that I use, unless you have a family history of a specific type of cancer (multiple family members, not one) most people's risk falls between 1 and 5%.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Did you know asbestos exists in nature? You are exposed to all those things on that list at some point. If you are predisposed to cancer, you will get it, regardless. Plus, that article stated that the tests that they do is in huge concentration on animals - usually rats - that no normal human would consume, so just because it causes cancer in animals, doesn't mean it will in humans. But go ahead and continue to be terrified of eating some meat because that is far more enjoyable than not worrying about it, and living and enjoying your life.

ETA: and I am not a "sir" and no, I don't live in the UK.

Well I just don't want the "c" word, Mann.
    I still believe the site is telling the truth.

i think of a different c word when i read the OPs posts....
  • cmtigger

Why?

But its big enough remember 1

Why?

18 percent for the colon is pretty big.

I'm curious if you are over 18.

yes

I just wondered because you mentioned needing a physical to compete and that's usually a high school thing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but there is quite a bit of evidence linking processed meats to disease.
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    If you live in an area that is close to rural areas you may be able to find local farm raised beef or pork. We buy a side of beef every year from a farmer we know. He raises grass fed beef, no antibiotics/hormones...he also processes it himself...by processing I mean he kills and butchers the cow himself. Nothing added during that process.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    You better not eat a meat sandwich on hfcs bread... The sugar in the bread will feed the cancer the meat gives you. :s

You are right, it is said that will increase cancer risk.

It was a joke. You need to learn to stress less... Stress kills too you know.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,030 Member
    You do realise that by processed meat, they're talking bacon, ham, deli meat - not seasoning a steak before cooking it.

And I believe you have far more things to worry about than cancer.

yes sir

Not a sir.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I see our paranoid troll is back. . Isn't he the one that freaked out about eating chicken or a burger? or something like that.