Special occasions make this feel impossible

I'm struggling. When I'm at home during the week and have 100% control over my meals and portions, I do okay. On the weekend when it's someone's birthday, a housewarming party, wedding, basically any celebration with food... I fall off the wagon and hate myself. If I have a piece of cake then I feel like I ruined my diet for the day (which it kind of does because it takes up so many of my daily calories). If I don't have a piece of cake then I think about it for hours. Unfortunately, I'm not even kidding. I actually think about how bad I wanted *insert unhealthy food here.* I feel like I'm missing out by turning down drinks, dessert, etc... Any advice for someone new at losing weight/struggling?

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,868 Member
    When I eat a piece of cake I try to stick with just one. I log it. I've pre-logged the rest of the day and it'll push me into the red, which I hate. If I'm set to lose a pound a week 500 cal over one day won't make a big deal out of the 3500 cal/pound lost (or gained).
  • potatoyeti
    potatoyeti Posts: 38 Member
    Their is no need to feel guilty. The reality is the harder you try to just eat clean the more likely you are to fail and regain weight in the long run. Basically it's okay to endulge every now and then your only human after all.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    I pre-log what I want to consume before I go. Then I go for a run or a bike ride. So I eat a light lunch, log the cake and glass of wine, and see what's left over. And I don't chide myself if I go over my calorie budget for the day. Please don't beat yourself up, it really saps the joy out of life for no good reason.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Where is the problem?
    You (usually) know in advance that such an occasion is going to happen.

The easiest way to solve your problem: Raise your calorie budget by sports.
    The way to go is not to avoid "unhealthy food" (for whatever that is) but to reach the point when you ask yourself "Is it worth it?"

Example: A piece of cake X has (assumed) 800 kcal this would mean ~ 80 minutes of medium to high intensity workout ... Is it worth it? If the answer is "Yes", then by all means get the cake and have a decent run afterwards, or walk the long way home, or, or, or,
    Saying that you "Fell off the wagon" in fact is the easiest and worst possible way out.
    Granted, one ruined day will not ruin the whole project, but exactly knowing when this is going to happen and doing nothing about it is a lack of consistency, not more, not less.