Yasmin BC

Options
Hello ladies,
In a few days I am starting bc pills for the first time in my life for contraception (i'm 27). Doctor prescribed me estrogen/drospirenon pills and the pharmacist gave me Yasmin. I've read many bad reviews about it and am quite frightened to use. What is your experience on Yasmin? Have you gained/lost any weight? Have you had any blood clot related problem? Should I try getting a different brand? I know them bad side effects are very rare, for example blood clots my happen to 9-12 women out of 10000. So honestly, should I be afraid?

Replies

• stephanie____
    stephanie____ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a while and didn't have any issues besides breakthrough bleeding. It has less estrogen than Yaz, which I've been on now for over 2 years. I've never had any blood clots. Just eat mindfully and know the symptoms of clots, and let your MD know if you have any side effects you just can't deal with. Try to give it a couple of months for your body to make sense of the extra hormones, though.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,425 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for... probably 14 years or more. I only get breakthrough bleedings when I take more than 3-4 blisters (depends). Took a break from it a few years ago because I was curious if I felt any different, but I didn't. Went back on it some 4 months later. I like it. It at least works for me.
  • loneda
    loneda Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am on it. It is good for PCOS symptoms. My doctor tried to get me to take another BC but I did not like it. He said that although there us a risk with it, the risk of complications if a woman were to get pregnant are higher than the risk from the pill.

If I did not have PCOS I would try another pill with lower risk.

It has not impacted my weight.
  • camilledaisy
    camilledaisy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was on it a few years ago for pcos. It only lasted a couple of months - I had trouble sleeping because of leg pain and some restless leg symptoms. The worst problems for me were extreme dizziness and nausea. Despite the nausea I manages to gain weight. On the flip side one of my friends took it at the same and loved it. She stayed on Jasmine for a number of years without any issues at all. So, I guess it really depends on the individual. I did have to have an ultrasound to rule out blood clots but it was all clear.
  • camilledaisy
    camilledaisy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sorry the above post I meant Yasmine just couldn't figure out how to edit...
  • cmh308
    cmh308 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've been on Yasmin for 15 years and it's great! Never had any issues and I have basically zero period.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I tried Yas and Yasmin. Literally sent me crazy with anxiety and mood swings, it was like having PMS all the time. As I am an emotional eater I put on weight during that time. Took my a while to realize what might be the problem. Issues resolved by stopping it. Afterwards I discovered that this is not an unusual side effect .
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've been on Yaz (Yasmin, Generic, etc) for 20+ years. I have no issues, haven't had any bleeding for at least 10 years and no symptoms. When I'm not on BC I'm a mess (heavy periods, major migranes, horrible cramping, etc). I call it my "happy pill".

It hasn't impacted my weight and I can lose and gain just like any one not on the Pill.
  • Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was on it for a few years, I did put on weight during that time, because my lifestyle changed and I was eating more than I needed, not because of the pill.

The pill itself was fine for me, I experienced some breakthrough bleeding, was put on a different pill, but didn't get on with it and went back to Yasmin. I only came off it because my weight gain put me out of the range to be prescribed it safely.

As someone up thread mentioned the risk of blood clots exists with all bc pills so if you're worried it might not be the right method for you, but the risk really is a small one, and beats pregnancy if you're not ready for it!