9/11. Where were you when it happened?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
I was living in VA at the time and my DW was working about a block and a half from the Pentagon. It was chaos in Northern VA and DC area that day.
We were sent home early from work and I couldn't get hold of my DW on the phone at the time due to overload on the systems. I knew she was probably alright, but the nightmare of trying to leave DC at that time was concerning.
I was driving an listening to the radio hearing live and at the time I worked at Circuit City, so when I got there it was on all the TV's. Watching the South Tower collapse live stunned me and brought a tear to my eye right away. That's when we were told that we were closing down.
Driving home for me wasn't that bad, but the freeways were packed. And all you heard above you were fighter jets flying back an forth. I passed Dulles International on the way home and there were emergency vehicles all over the front of the main terminal.
Still very vivid in my mind today. Eternal gratitude to the personal we lost that day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    I was working and was on my lunch break when the news broke. I'll never forget that day and the emotions I felt while watching what was going on.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I was in Sarasota where President Bush was when he learned of the news! All air travel was cancelled and I ended up having to rent a car and drive home. I sat in hours and hours of traffic while President Bush had to re-route his plans to get out of Sarasota. That was the longest day of my life.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    We were in a breakfast/work meeting when it broke in on the news. We didn't finish our meeting. We were all glued to the TV and no one said a word. We then drove onto work and it was as though everything was in slow motion. Most of our patients cancelled that day so we sat around just watching the news. I was also 7 months pregnant, I just kept thinking I am never going to meet my son, I am going to die. There's going to be more attacks till they take us all out. As I was driving home the tears just kept rolling with those thoughts. I also live near an air force base, one of the few that have a bunker for the President to go to when things like this happen. They brought him there that day and as I was driving down the freeway Air Force One was going in for a landing right above me. It was very surreal. That's when it all really sunk in that was very real and very serious.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I was 8.5 months pregnant and frantically trying to reach my friends and former co-workers who I worked in the towers with. Had I not moved to ATL...who knows. :(
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I was in California, a freshman in high school and my sister woke me up which was weird because she never did that. We watched the news in silence but then I went to school. I don't think I was really old enough to grasp the impact at that time. But I remember being very afraid to go sleep that night.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was sleeping. I'd been studying and warning about terrorism since I was a teenager, so my room mate didn't even bother to wake me up since he knew I wouldn't be surprised.

I grew up out in the country with three TV stations. I remember watching the news as a small child and wondering why the planes were blowing up on the tarmac. I remember the Achille Lauro hijacking. I remember the bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut. I remember the Rome and Vienna terrorist attacks in the mid 1980s. I remember Pan Am 103. Etc, etc, etc.

It keeps happening, and people just keep forgetting. It's good people remember this event (9-11). However, it would be nice if we could learn some lessons about why these things keep happening and, perhaps, learn some things about the people who keep doing them.

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I was a small child and barely remember anything.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Was at work when the first news came in by some colleagues.
    At first I didn't believe them ... couldn't ...
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I was five, almost six. I don't remember a lot but I'm English, and we were most of the way through the school day when it happened because of the time difference. I remember not understanding a lot. I remember all the adults being terrified, and several kids in my class broke down because they were scared their mums and dads were going to war. I lived near an RAF base so a lot of the kids in my class were kids of RAF personnel. My best friend remembers a lot more because it was her birthday the next day and her mum cancelled the party.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I was getting ready for my ER shift watching the Today show and watching as the plane crashed into the second building. I remember hearing several false reports through out the day of possible local events so we were on high alert (I live in VA near just about every military installation). Still recall it like it was yesterday :(
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    In school. I left the classroom and there was a group of people all gathered around watching the news on TV in a break area.
    I remember the look on the peoples faces and not understanding what was going on.
  • CaloricCountess
    CaloricCountess Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'd use my Walkman every morning, to motivate me to deal with; the day but there wasn't any music, playing then! At 1st I believed that the talking was just a commercial, so while I heard the words I wasn't listening/comprehending; what was being said! It was annoying me, so I changed the station several times; to the same occurrence! I made my annoyance vocal, then my Mother realized; that something major must be happening & suggested that I look, to see if there was anything concerning it; upon television! By the time that I awoke that morning, it was obvious that this was no accident; as was once believed because by then, both towers were struck & I saw both of them fall, as they were falling; via television! :'(
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    10th grade Chemistry class at around 10AM CST. I distinctly remember another teacher on the floor running to all the classrooms to turn on the television (each class had an overhead television monitor for announcements). We were all watching with abject horror as people threw themselves from the buildings and then being aghast when we realized it wasn't just the WTC that had been targeted. I also remember a specific student (a boy by the name of Levi) making extremely inappropriate jokes and comments about the events. He was suspended over the remarks.

It was a very surreal day.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I was 26. My whole life was ahead of me. Good job, etc. This changed the world. Changed my world.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I was fresh out of college and on my way to work at a furniture store when I heard reports on the radio and just gleaned enough to be confused and concerned. I walked into work and asked my boss if he'd heard anything and he was laughing and being a real jerk about it all. Everyone else was gathered around the wall of TVs watching the coverage.

When the mail came, our postal carrier (an older man) was in tears and saying his son in the military was going to be sent overseas right away. A year later, his son died. I didn't work there anymore so I don't know the ins and outs.

That night I paid about $5/gallon for gas due to price-gouging and spent the night with a guy I'd just started dating and barely liked, because I felt kind of nervous that there would be many more attacks on the U.S. A male friend who was firmly in the "friend zone" called me up and said he loved me and so forth. I wound up actually beginning to date him then AND marrying him, which was not the best choice - but it lasted for 9 years so hey, whatever. (I am now married to someone who is much much better for me)

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I was asleep. My mother phoned and told me to turn on the news. I turned it on in time to watch the second plane crash, and called her back: what is going on? Are we at war?

After several hours of news, I needed a break. My husband and I went to the park, where we were the only people there. I remember what a beautiful day it was, and so quiet, with no airplanes and almost no traffic. Our home lies under an approach to the Fedex hub and the silence was shocking. The contrast between the peace of nature and the craziness of human beings really struck me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    In the conference room at work watching it unfold on TV.