How to get berries to last longer

Options
I'm tired of buying berries on Saturday and by Wednesday they look all moldy

How do you get your berries to last longer?

I have read before, that you can rinse them in the 1Part Vinegar:2 Part Water . Have you tried this?? Does it work, do you get an after taste from the vinegar?

I've also seen the containers claiming to keep berries lasting longer?? Have you tried this? Does it work?

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried the vinegar-water rinse, but it sounds reasonable, as the acidity will kill some microorganisms (although I don't know about the proper ratio).

I have used green bags (their actual color, as well as the product name). They apparently have some antimicrobial compound embedded in them, and you're not supposed to tie or knot them shut, so a little air can circulate. Barring that, I've had moderate success with moving berries from the pint or quart baskets they're sold in to large bags with plenty of room and a paper towel to absorb any condensation, folding over (not tying) the top, and putting them in the freshener.

In my experience, blueberries keep longer than strawberries and blackberries, which in turn keep longer than raspberries. Without the green bags, I'm lucky if raspberries haven't started growing mold by the next morning.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I do this with blueberries. I let em sit in the dilute vinegar for a bit, then rinse well with water. After that, you have to let them dry completely, I usually roll them out on paper towels in a baking tray to let them air dry. Then, I store them in the fridge in a mason jar with a paper towel in it, any airtight container would work. Lasts for weeks this way, no vinegar taste.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have had good results with the vinegar thing! I buy TONS of blueberries when they're on sale and they've lasted almost 2 weeks with this. I also make sure they're super dry when I put them away and line the original carton with a paper towel.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    I do this with blueberries. I let em sit in the dilute vinegar for a bit, then rinse well with water. After that, you have to let them dry completely, I usually roll them out on paper towels in a baking tray to let them air dry. Then, I store them in the fridge in a mason jar with a paper towel in it, any airtight container would work. Lasts for weeks this way, no vinegar taste.

I do this with berries as well, including strawberries. Usually do the vinegar bath right after I get home from the store, then let them sit to dry the rest of the day. Berries last through the week then, at least.

~Lyssa
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Only thing that I've found that works is making sure I eat them all by Monday

Ditto.

One of the things I've started doing is opening every box to make sure they are NOT already moldy b4 I buy them.

Can't count the number of boxes w/moldy berries in them at the store -- the problem is mainly w/strawberries raspberries and blueberries. Seldom have any problem w/blueberries -- they are the longest lasting for me.

Gotta open up every box, look at the berries on the top and then flip the contents over into the top to check the bottoms.

I can get a box to last about a week this way but I've found that it's still BEST to eat them ASAP to avoid any spoilage.

PS: Have never tried a vinegar bath. Will try it w/the next batch of berries that I buy.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Yes check them carefully at the store. Don't wash them until you eat them and I only wash what you plan on eating. Moisture is the enemy. I also store them in the clamshell container upside down to make sure the bottom berries get air circulation.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just got a new fridge and it came with these packets that go in a holder in the fruit section, and a different one in the veggie drawer. I was skeptical, but my berries are lasting longer. Everything seems to be. I just ate broccoli I bought 2 weeks ago and it was fresh. Had some bok choi that was the same grocery shop, still good. Usually that stuff goes bad in a week.
    I buy a lot of produce and I really haven't been throwing much if any away since I got this fridge.
    Google fresh flow. That's what it says on the packets. I don't know if you can just throw them in any fridge. The packets are good for about six months or so. Now I've just been putting anything that tends to go bad in the drawers, and leaving the stuff that lasts a long time like apples and carrots in the regular part of the fridge.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just got a new fridge and it came with these packets that go in a holder in the fruit section, and a different one in the veggie drawer. I was skeptical, but my berries are lasting longer. Everything seems to be. I just ate broccoli I bought 2 weeks ago and it was fresh. Had some bok choi that was the same grocery shop, still good. Usually that stuff goes bad in a week.
    I buy a lot of produce and I really haven't been throwing much if any away since I got this fridge.
    Google fresh flow. That's what it says on the packets. I don't know if you can just throw them in any fridge. The packets are good for about six months or so. Now I've just been putting anything that tends to go bad in the drawers, and leaving the stuff that lasts a long time like apples and carrots in the regular part of the fridge.

Could you please share the make/model of refrigerator you purchased? This sounds like something my husband and I need to consider as we shop for a new one! Thanks in advance!

Regarding the original post: My family has tried the green containers, green bags, and rubbermaid veggie/fruit container that has airflow control. They do work to extend the life a bit, but you need clean dry fruit and a paper towel to absorb excess moisture really does help in the sealed containers. The biggest problem, in my opinion is that they take up way too much space. Then again, we usually have a lot of produce around. I just need a bigger refrigerator...
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Berries will go bad quicker if you wash them or add extra moisture before hand.

I put mine on paper towel, uncovered in a vented container and then rinse right before eating. Mine tend to last 5 or so days if no one eats them right away. It also depends on your store. A few stores here are HORRIBLE for rotating produce.

My MIL got me some tupperware containers that are meant to increase shelf life of produce and they do seem to work, just not as well as above.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    freeze them?
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I get berries in the plastic clamshell baskets with slotted holes. I weight down the baskets with a bowl and soak them under water inside the baskets. I graduated from using vinegar to a bit of household bleach in the soaking water - I haven't died yet. After soaking for at least 10 minutes I rinse well, drain, and spread out on paper towels on baking sheets. When the berries and baskets are completely dry, I store them in the now disinfected baskets in the back of the fridge. They can last 7 to 10 days after the bleach bath.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Eat them. Freeze them. Make them in to jam.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you don't freeze them? Just place on a cookie sheet in a single layer, freeze and then put in a plastic bag. I do this all the time with berries, heck with all fruit.

I was going to ask the same thing. I buy a lot of my fruit (and veg) when it's reduced and then freeze it and bag it up in little portions (blanch the veg first).
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Freezing berries and then defrosting them makes them soggy, totally ruins their texture and makes them suitable only for making jams or sauces.

So, if you intend to freeze them, there's absolutely no reason to buy them fresh. Better to buy them prepacked and frozen which will be more convenient and also probably cheaper.
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason why you don't freeze them? Just place on a cookie sheet in a single layer, freeze and then put in a plastic bag. I do this all the time with berries, heck with all fruit.

Mostly, it because Im the strawberries to pair with my yogurt for a snack. And I honestly just dont like the texture after they are frozen.

I will freeze them If I plan on baking with them or turning them into jam .
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies everyone.

I will be testing this out.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Buy them frozen as was said up thread. They often have more nutrition.
  • theman900
    theman900 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen