Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    nads_ayoub wrote: »
    Curious to know, do you just focus on your numbers and eat whatever your heart desires as long as it's within your calorie allowance or do you actually eat healthy and stay away from all things fatty and harmful?

I mostly focus on eating a nutritious diet, but that is largely consistent with eating what my heart desires (and it's all foods I like).

I don't think being "fatty" makes something unhealthy, though.

True I don't really deep fry things, but that's rarely my preferred way to eat them anyway, and also I just don't cook that way at home.

Edit: Oh, if you mean like an occasion fish and chips as a special meal kind of thing, sure, I'll eat that. Don't see how it prevents me from having an overall healthful diet.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I stuck to the calorie count to lose the weight. I have slowly been transitioning to whole food plant based eating. Similar to vegan but more mindful of how much processing goes into the foods.
    I am 5 weeks out from my first marathon. I fell off the wagon for a few weeks and I felt the difference. Now that I'm back on track and eating a micronutrient dense diet, I feel so much better in all aspects.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    nads_ayoub wrote: »
    So I just gobbled down some battered cod fish for dinner and even though it fit perfectly in my calorie count for the day, I can't help thinking about the oodles of oil used for deep frying and the white flour used in the batter etc.

Curious to know, do you just focus on your numbers and eat whatever your heart desires as long as it's within your calorie allowance or do you actually eat healthy and stay away from all things fatty and harmful?

In general, you want to focus on your overall diet and how often you are eating stuff you want to avoid. I would agree with you that deep fried food is something you need to be careful with. But the danger is in eating it often, not eating it once. Was this a unusual indulgence? Then just enjoy it! Do you feel like you eat fried food too often? Then rather than feeling guilty or worried, focus on why you made that choice and what you need to do to make it easier to make a better choice next time.

Sometimes if I know I'm going to be indulging later in the day, I'll focus on eating lots of fiber and lean protein earlier in the day to offset. But just try to give your body what it need most of the time, and limit foods that are best seen as indulgences or treats to be just that, and as long as you don't have any medical conditions you'll be fine. There's no use in worrying about what you've already eaten :)
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I don't worry too much about fat or white flour. I watch saturated fats and cholesterol because I have some family issues, but overall I don't worry because I found it's not a huge part of my diet after tracking.

I made bierrocks this weekend with some ground meat that needed to be used up, and white flour in the dough. So good. I ate a couple with mustard and put the rest in the freezer to eat over the next couple months. No guilt or worries.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat what tastes good to me and fits my goals. I like lots of different types of food.
    I don't eat deep fried food every day. I'm okay eating it sometimes. I don't eat a super low fat diet but spending hundreds of calories on added oil doesn't make sense at every meal.
    I don't think some white flour or fats are unhealthy if you are eating a variety of foods.
    Look at your whole diet not one meal.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I eat what tastes good to me and fits my goals. I like lots of different types of food.
    I don't eat deep fried food every day. I'm okay eating it sometimes. I don't eat a super low fat diet but spending hundreds of calories on added oil doesn't make sense at every meal.
    I don't think some white flour or fats are unhealthy if you are eating a variety of foods.
    Look at your whole diet not one meal.

^^^For the win...