Depression and losing weight

Options
I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there that battle with depression and anxiety while trying to lose weight. My depression was one of the causes of my weight gain. I used binge eating as a coping skill. Now I really struggle to not binge. If there is anyone else out there that has a hard time losing weight with their depression, anxiety or any other mental disorder please add me. I could use the support

Replies

• tamsin_brown
    tamsin_brown Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same issues and I think my medication also added to my weight gain. Trying to stop the meds and stop binging at the same time! We can do this :-)
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I added you, since I have the same issues.

For me personally, when i decided to turn my health around, it was a choice to do so both physically and mentally. I sought out the supervision of a psychiatrist and a licensed professional counselor to help me deal with my depression and anxiety. For me, I know that for me to make my health improvements sustainable and permanent, I needed to deal with my emotional issues as well.

As for emotional eating and what not, I personally find it easier to avoid when I have the accountability of needing to log everything, as well as the buffer of added calories I am allowed due to exercising regularly. I find that I am more likely to really hurt myself when there is no accountability to those decisions.
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have battled for years with depression and anxiety. It is not easy to lose weight when struggling with that. I understand the issue with binge eating. I really struggled with that and still do some days. It takes a lot of hard work, but I'm here to say that it can be done. I've lost 70 lbs but with much sweat and tears and cussing and the whole works. I've stabilized incredibly with having lost that and I accredit that to eating healthy, but largely to working out. I take out my stress almost daily at the gym and it helps tremendously! I don't always feel like going but when I push through and do it, I always feel much better. Like I said, I still struggle at times with binge eating. My personal trainer always encourages me to take a walk when I'm feeling like that. Focusing on other things, like how far I've come helps and praying helps for me too. Sometimes I still fall down but the important thing is to just get back up and keep going. You got this! Cheers!
  • robm1brown
    robm1brown Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah depression, binge eating, stress, all causing each other vicious cycle. I have been there will no doubt be there again.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Regular exercise does wonders for my depression and anxiety. I often have to force myself to start. When I'm really unmotivated, I give myself permission to stop in 10 minutes if I need to. I never do.

I do also take Welbutrin, which is a little speedy, which I like. Unlike other ADs, it is not associated with weight gain. I tried a good half dozen other ADs before I found it, and I am very happy with it.

I've been out of Xanax for some time and have not asked for a refill.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with depression most of my life. Exercise is my way of self-medicating. It really makes a huge difference for me. When I can't exercise because of injury etc. I find I can't eat. I'm one of the few runners who loses weight when injured.

One thing I keep in mind is that in a world that is very uncertain and sometimes seems out of control, one of the few things I do control is what goes in my mouth. I decide what I eat and, to a large extent, how much I exercise. I like knowing that some things are entirely up to me. I shop, I cook and I decide what to eat. I do sometimes eat my emotions, but in my case it's more boredom than sadness or despair.
  • Dyl1789
    Dyl1789 Posts: 2,933 Member
    Options
    Although they say exercise is excellent for depression, if your meds aren't right you gain weight, which is what I've found in the last month, different brand of meds and I'm up 4kgs, which doesn't help your depression!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar currently denying signs of a moped episode. Add me if you like.
  • curtains2day
    curtains2day Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep at night if I'm really following my (Atkins) diet. Very anxious and can't sleep for hours. No depression just anxious at night
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    yes - add me if you like!
  • mktom29
    mktom29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Your brain, your gut, and metabolism are three systems that work off of one another and can influence one another. They also go hand in hand in being healthy for your brain is good for your gut.