Polar FT7 transmitter's prob under water?

Options
Aaish
Aaish Posts: 21 Member
Hi all,

I've been looking up on forum to find answer but couldn't. Sorry if I'm asking again pls direct me to the right posts if you know of any!

My Polar FT7 has been working great since I've bought it, however whenever I use it in the swimming pool I have trouble setting it up. Ive tighten the chest strap as well but it won't pick up my heart rate. If I take the trasnmitter part of my body out of water it'll pick up but lose it as soon as it's submerged in water. I don't know how but I was able to get it going after wasting 10-15 mins trying to put on for the first few times I've been to swimming but since last 2-3 times, just no trick's working!!:-( sometimes I'd think that both units need to be in the water to work so I'll push start button on watch then take it inside water but today that didn't even work:-(

Has anyone else had this problem or any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    According to the instructions, you aren't supposed to push any buttons while you are in the water. Set it OUTSIDE of the water, then get in. (for those people that dont' know)

Also, try tightening up the strap really tight.

Is there an 800 number you can call for support?
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hiya

Unfortunately they don't work when swimming. I am not sure if there is a HRM that does? Anyway this link might help :smile:

http://www.polar.fi/en/support/product_support?document=/gip/PKBStoGIP.nsf/LINK/x5AAE8855A026372342256B92003372CD?OpenDocument
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I had that same problem with my FT4. You may have to estimate calories burned through swimming.
  • heatherlh83
    heatherlh83 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have FT7's and we have the same problem. Neither of us have been able to get ours to work under water at all. It's frustrating.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    From http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/:

"Can I swim with my heart rate monitor?

Most Heart Rate Monitors are water resistant to 20, 30, 50 or 100 metres
    depending on the model. This is a theoretical static pressure measurement and does NOT relate to a practical depth. Most 20-50 metre water resistant HRMs are fine for surface swimming only. Please check with us before making any assumptions on water resistancy

Generally, HRMs do NOT work (read the heart rate) in the water due to inability to transmit the radio (FM) waves under water. They are designed to transmit in the air. It is possible to get a good reading in the pool only when your chest area, and the transmitter, is clear of the water. This is the same for all chest strap type HRMs.

For Triathletes, this means that the HRM becomes a stopwatch only for the swim section. The unit will not be damaged in the pool, but it will not record heart rate (unless you are lucky, we cannot guarantee it, nor is it a fault if it fails to read HR while swimming).

For SWIMMING, there are currently three main options:

1) Forget about your heart rate while swimming - get a POOLMATE swimmers watch and dramatically improve your swim efficiency. The Poolmate is the best innovation for swimmers since... googles !! Highly recommended. A swimmer never reaches the same levels of cardio intensity that a RUNNER or CYCLIST does - the chances of cardio OVER training in the pool are VERY slim. It is our considered opnion that a heart rate monitor for swimming is just not necessary - better to improve stroke technique etc. We recommend the POOLMATE swim watch

2) OK - you're still reading so you really do want heart rate feedback from your swims.. then it has to be the Polar RCX5 - this heart rate monitor has been specially developed with a DUAL frequency transmitter - one for OUT of WATER that uses Polar WIND digital signal to prevent intereference... another for IN THE WATER which uses a more traditional analogue signal that works perfectly in the water. You still have to wear a chest strap, but you should be able to download a clean heart rate curve after your pool session.

3) LIVE heart rate reading at the END of a set of lengths. We have had a lot of success selling the modern strapless heart rate monitors that have sensors on the front. The swimmer places their fingers on the sensors with the watch OUT of the WATER... within 3 - 8 seconds you are presented with an ECG accurate heart rate reading. A popular unit for this is the Oregon Scientific SE138 strapless heart rate monitor.

4) Polar Health Check .... Polar brand this product as an EQUINE product (used to be called a VET CHECK) - hold it against the chest of the horse, and get a live heart rate. It has been used by hundreds of swimming coaches for SWIMMING with GREAT SUCCESS. Just hold it against the swimmers chest, and have a live heart rate reading within 4 or 5 seconds. The COACH wears the watch - the swimmer just presents their chest to the coach to push the handle against. This unit WILL work through a swimsuit or a Tri-vest. We sell this item from our sister site - HORSEBEAT.co.uk - SWIMMERS heart monitor

We recommend in most models that you should not press any buttons under water. See user's manual for details. Heart rate measurement in a water environment is technically demanding for the following reasons:

Pool water with a high chlorine (or bromine) content, as well as seawater, may be very conductive and the electrodes of a transmitter may get short circuited and ECG signals cannot be detected by the transmitter unit.

Jumping into the water or strenuous muscle movement during competitive swimming may cause water resistance that shifts the transmitter on the body to a location where it is not possible to pick up the ECG signal.

The ECG signal strength varies depending on the individual's tissue composition. The percentage of people who have problems in heart rate measuring is considerably higher in a water environment than in other uses.

In the watch industry the water resistance is generally indicated as metres of water pressure, meaning a static pressure of water at the level in question. Most manufacturers' apply the same indication system, as it is well known and water resistance is an essential feature of the heart rate monitor.

However, it should be noted that when performing any underwater activity, the dynamic pressure generated by movement through the water is greater than the static pressure. Generally, all the HRM's we sell are fine for use while bathing, swimming and showering, BUT, not under water activity like scuba diving.
  • Aaish
    Options
    My husband and I have FT7's and we have the same problem. Neither of us have been able to get ours to work under water at all. It's frustrating.

It definitely is very frustrating:-( when it says it's water proof and you can track your swimming and then doesn't work:-(

Thanks for all the info everyone!!
  • Aaish
    Options
    BerryH thanks for the great information!! Cheers!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to be able to use the Ft7 in water. I know because I triple checked the website before taking it in the pool a couple of weeks ago. It worked for about 5 minutes. Said, "Check Heart rate Transmitter". I didn't push any buttons or do anything to it. I never did figure it out. I was pretty frustrated. I'll be watching this thread, sorry I don't have an answer!