Underactive Thyroid

Options
Hi all, I'm 36 and have had an underactive thyroid since I was in my early 20's - I take 275mcg of Levothyroxine (T4) and 20mcg of Liothyronine (T3)...As with most people with thyroid problems my symptoms can vary and for periods of time everything can seem fine and then I find myself back to what feels like the beginning and I am exceptionally tired...can't lose weight for love nor money and a bit teary. Does anyone have any advice they can offer? Anyone with the illness that feels they are 'beating' it? Anyone tried Armour Thyroid? I'm a veggie so avoided it so far..but def considering it now. Any positive hints and tips will be appreciated! Thanks xx

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food on a scale? That's the biggest secret to weight loss.
  • ClaireBeneymfp
    ClaireBeneymfp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Are you weighing your food on a scale? That's the biggest secret to weight loss.

Hi - yes I weigh everything. I can lose weight easily when my thyroid is under control its when it's a problem that I can't. My Dr once told me that I wouldn't lose even if I was eating 200 calories until the meds were at the right level.
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have blood work next week and will see my Endo early Oct. I was going to ask her about Armour Thyriod. I have always had issues losing weight and now that have I had a baby, it's even worse. I would also like to hear if anyone is taking it and feels better with it then Levo/Synthroid.
  • ClaireBeneymfp
    Options
    sjd421 wrote: »
    I have blood work next week and will see my Endo early Oct. I was going to ask her about Armour Thyriod. I have always had issues losing weight and now that have I had a baby, it's even worse. I would also like to hear if anyone is taking it and feels better with it then Levo/Synthroid.

Good luck with your Bloods.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    it sounds like your levels might be funky - while your blood work might show you in the medically acceptable range; your personal range may change of over - @CSARdiver can probably talk more about the geeky science stuff behind it

many endos are hesitant to prescribe armor, because the dosage can vary within the same bottles of pills - its harder to maintain a consistent dose

personally, I can't take synthroid, but I can take levo (weird I know); also if you are on levo, it could be that the changed their supplier and the fillers in the pills changed
  • trish2016
    trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I didn't know any of this because well the doctors in the public hospitals here in Ireland are shockingly bad I am getting two more blood tests next week then maybe a scan on the neck I am just so disappointed that I managed to lose nearly 3 stone now I am back to square one. I am going to boxfit class this eve and feel like what the point really because I will work really hard but the weight will just keep going up and down.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This past winter my thyroid took another hit. The food I was maintaining on suddenly caused me to start gaining. Plus I started craving more carbs as an energy boost whereas I normally eat LCHF. I upped my meds, lost a few pounds almost instantly and then had to slowly work off the rest with a very slight deficit - about 200 calories less than when I was gaining when my meds were not enough.

I found it difficult to lose when meds aren't right. I also find it impossible to lose if I get gluten (I'm a celiac) and find it very hard to lose if my carbs are even at a moderate level. When I avoid gluten, eat low carb, and have the right meds, losing is almost easy. ;)

I now take 180mcg of Thyroid, which is a Canadian equivalent of Armor. I was at 150 mcg before this past winter, and had been there for a few years. In the beginning I started with just Synthroid, which I used for a year, but it made no difference to my symptoms even though my labs were relatively normal. My doctor refused to let me add on T3 so I found a new doctor and switched to natural desiccated thyroid. NDT works MUCH better for me. It made a huge difference in how I feel.
  • JadeQuetzal
    JadeQuetzal Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do you have hashimotos and have you had your complete thyroid panels done? NDT actually works well for some people but is less effective for others. The only way to know is to try, but doctors advise against it because manufacturers cannot guarantee a steady amount of each hormone.

I don't have a thyroid at all, and it took me a couple of years but I finally feel like I have it under control. More or less. Some days/weeks still suck, and I still have daily symptoms but I have learned to deal with it. The cold is just starting and I'm a little fearful because my symptoms are already getting worse by the week, but I'm not giving up because of it either. I've lost around 25 lbs and reached my main goal. So not losing all that hard work.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I googled Armour Thyroid and this is the first thing I got: (from drugs.com)
    Do not use Armour Thyroid (thyroid tablets and capsules) to treat obesity or for weight loss. Very bad and sometimes deadly side effects may happen with this medicine if it is taken in large doses or with other drugs for weight loss. Talk with the doctor.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I have hypo and am losing with watching what I eat. Doing low carb atm. Not taking meds either. I ran out but the pharmacist says I have to go in for a check up before I can get more. That was two months ago. I don't like going to the doctor so slowly building up the courage to go back and have a effin needle shoved in my arm. I don't like needles. I noticed that if I eat carbs I feel tired and like I'm being strangled (thyroid swells) but if I avoid carbs I drop weight and feel just fine. I'll probably go back after dropping more weight to see if maybe keto manages hypothyroidism, and if it does, screw getting stabbed just to check levels.
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. Strength training helped me the most. This is because hypothyroidism caused metabolism to slow down which makes it harder to lose weight. Strength training improves muscle tone. More muscles means you burn more calories at resting state. My BMR increased. My thyroxine dose has reduced by half
  • Thick_n_Fit_Mom
    Thick_n_Fit_Mom Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @ClaireBeneymfp first and foremost, I totally understand your struggle. It doesn't matter if you weigh your food, don't weigh your food, exercise your brains out and or diet....the thyroid had a mind of its own, and until it is regulated, you are fighting a battle you'll never win.

I have Hashimotos, due to a flip flop thyroid moons ago, I have been regulated (tsh numbers) for quite some time, Thank God! Because anyone who's experienced symptoms from a hypo/hyper thyroid, knows exactly what I'm talking about.

So get a good endocrinologist, they should help you with your nutrition and weigh gain. But remember, it takes 4 weeks for the improvement of your thyroid, when meds are adjusted.. sucks, I know, but it is what it is! And until your meds or even try a holistic approach, takes over...you won't see symptoms subside. I have been here SO MANY TIMES! Research as much as you can, but don't overwhelm yourself...there is a lot of info out there! Good luck girl, I'm praying for ya!
  • Theeerica
    Theeerica Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's, and was on Armour for a time, but my levels wouldn't stay regulated on it, so we changed to Synthroid, and I haven't had to change my dose in 2 years. I find taking it at night has made a huge difference, because its not interacting with anything else. I stop eating at 6pm and take it around 9pm, also avoid anything with soy, it will only make your condition worse. There is a book by a DR. IZABELLA WENTZ, PHARM Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis the root cause, it was very informative
  • Moondoggie9155
    Moondoggie9155 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism from hashimotos. And I know all about being up some days and down others.
    For me fatigue and mood swings are huge signs I am off and my numbers have shifted.
    I take naturethroid 3 grains. was on armour as well but prefer naturethroid. some people say they like natural opposed to synthetic and vise versa. I know that when you add a t3 to your meds you need a dr that bases dosage on symptoms not just numbers and that with t3 it will drop you t4 some and it is ideal to suppress the tsh some with the t4 and t3 in the upper mid ranges. My t4 always sits towards the bottom normal with my t3 middle and I personally feel best this way. You can check your own levels thru life extension. I had several drs in the past tell me my thyroid was fine and it was not. Took a long time for me to find a great GP.
    I also have to work hard to avoid certain foods especially processed breads and carbs which is very difficult when i am feeling off as I seem to crave them more.
    I personally would start with getting your numbers checked and see that you are on the ideal dose for YOU.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Hi - yes I weigh everything. I can lose weight easily when my thyroid is under control its when it's a problem that I can't. My Dr once told me that I wouldn't lose even if I was eating 200 calories until the meds were at the right level.

Your physician is incorrect. Most haven't the first clue about weight management.

Have you received a full thyroid panel? TSH (0.2-2.0), fT3, fT4, rT3. All of these values need to be reviewed by a trained professional for a proper diagnosis.

Thyroid impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) by ~5%. So that's 60 kcals/day out of a 1200 kcal/day budget. REE is the amount of calories required for a 24-hour period by the body during a non-active period (laying in bed).

Doctors are apprehensive about Armour Thyroid simply because the safety profile is not as established as it is for levothyroxine. The typical protocol is to run a number of cardiac tests during the med change to minimize risk of palpitations and other known adverse events.

Any way you look at this the best course is to continue to lose weight through moderate and safe changes in diet and exercise. Simply walking 10 mins every hour adds up. Hormones are free cycling, so simply being overweight makes it impossible to maintain hormonal balance. Many patients who lose weight have their doses lowered to adjust for this.

I'm 6'4" - 222 lbs and on 175/200 mcg alt daily. I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000 due to cancer - put on ~70 lbs over the next 14 years due to leaving a high active military career to a cushy civilian job in academia. I found MFP in 2014 and lost 60 lbs the first year.
  • ClaireBeneymfp
    Options
    it sounds like your levels might be funky - while your blood work might show you in the medically acceptable range; your personal range may change of over - @CSARdiver can probably talk more about the geeky science stuff behind it

many endos are hesitant to prescribe armor, because the dosage can vary within the same bottles of pills - its harder to maintain a consistent dose

personally, I can't take synthroid, but I can take levo (weird I know); also if you are on levo, it could be that the changed their supplier and the fillers in the pills changed

Thanks very much @dennalfisher I didn't go into detail in my post but my levels have never been in the 'normal' range and my Endocronologist now accepts that for some reason I'm 'odd'...makes it harder through to gauge when I'm on the right levels and it's a lot more trial and error! My supplier has changed which I didn't even consider could be an issue so thanks for that! x
  • ClaireBeneymfp
    Options
    trish2016 wrote: »
    I didn't know any of this because well the doctors in the public hospitals here in Ireland are shockingly bad I am getting two more blood tests next week then maybe a scan on the neck I am just so disappointed that I managed to lose nearly 3 stone now I am back to square one. I am going to boxfit class this eve and feel like what the point really because I will work really hard but the weight will just keep going up and down.

I so know how you feel!! I feel like I'm back at square one too...and you do feel a little bit like no-one believes you when you are dieting and exercising..plus very hard to keep motivated. I hope your blood test help and you get back on track x