Outdoor exercise

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    If it's just "some" rain, you will be fine. Either make your peace with doing short treadmill runs, or buy the right gear. For the days when I know it's going to rain and I have to be out, I use a lightweight waterproof shell jacket from Athleta, as well as a visor to keep the rain from my face.

And you don't get colds from being outside in the rain. You get colds from viruses.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have a light weight fluorescent shower proof running jacket... if its bucketing it down, you're getting wet whatever you wear!

i don't think i have ever been cold for more than 10 minutes of a run in winter. i am in the UK, i wont run if its icy but apart from that the most i have needed to wear is my jacket, a long sleeved running top and gloves.
  • activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The classic layering system for outdoor activities is a wicking layer next to your skin, top & bottom, then a fleece layer for warmth, then an outer wind/water shell. You don't always need layers 2 &3 depending on conditions. I like tops with a half zip because it provides a great means of venting/ temperature control. It can take some experimentation to see what works best for various conditions & personal preference. You can pick up a lot of this at Goodwill or other thrift stores. Start looking now because you might need to check back a few times. Look for the active wear rack at Goodwill. Tech gear gets spendy pretty fast.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My favorite app or website is runnersworld/whattowear. You dial in your gender, age, weather temp & wind and then describe how hard you run & how warm you want to feel. It is spot on and eliminated that horrible feeling after running a mile that you are way overdressed.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    I use the RunnerWorld site "What to Wear for Runners". ( https://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear ) Beyond that, I keep notes on what I actually wear under different conditions and how it felt. When the 'feels like' is different from the actual temperature, it can make a difference. One thing I learned was that I can run in much colder temps. than I thought. The first few years, I only ran if it was above freezing. Then I had a race (a HM) where it was 17 degrees at the start. I was freaked out, but I managed just fine. After that I decided I needed to expand my running to days when conditions weren't great - whether cold, hot, or wet - because you never know what will happen on race day.

Get some lightweight gloves for cold mornings and an ear band. Wool or fleece hat when it's colder. Make sure you have pockets so you can take them off when you warm up (usually about 2 miles in for me.)
    The rain jacket you wear for walking may be different from the one you wear running. I have a heavy one for walking that is a bit warmer. For running, I dress for the feels like temperature + 20 degrees. For walking I dress for the actual temperature.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    If it's cold out, dress for the second mile not the first, so that you're cold when you walk out the door. Otherwise you'll overheat once you warm up. You can combat those first chilly minutes by drinking a hot cup of tea before you leave.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    In the past when I've run in winter I just put up with being cold for the first few minutes - I soon warmed up. Rain, wind - I live in Glasgow, that isn't a winter thing. Just a thing. I run and get wet - I'm getting wet with sweat anyway and I have a decent shower to come back to. I'm wondering about how to deal with ice though - I've been able to run on grass before, but I don't easily have that option now.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I live in the Pacific Northwest, and we get our share of rain. The key is to not over dress. You are going to warm up during your run. I use a light long-sleeved base layer under the Patagonia Houdini jacket. I got the jacket on sale. It's water repellent (so it's good for light rains; I don't know how it will do in a rain storm) and breathable (which is important so you don't overheat and feel all clammy with sweat, then get cold after your run). I never run with a fleece layer, as it doesn't breathe and just makes me sweaty and hot. Even though the jacket has a hood, I wear a baseball cap, too, so that the hat bill helps keep my glasses dry. You can try some lightweight gloves and see how those work for you. I wear long running tights. For years I had a pair of Sporthill XC Pants, which even provided some wind resistance.

By the way, the Houdini jacket is so lightweight that if you end up not needing it, it's comfy tied around the waist.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    As of today -- at 4:30 in the morning -- during Hurricane Irma, I hit 610 days of getting 10k steps. All outdoors. Never once stepped on a treadmill and I don't belong to a gym.

I make it a top priority, rain or shine, blazing heat or freezing cold to get my steps. Simple.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine treadmill running. I love being outdoors. Lately the sun has been setting during my normal run time and the sunsets have been gorgeous!

When it gets colder, definitely wear gloves and a head wrap/hood/ear warmers. Keep all your skin covered so you can have a layer between you and the wind. The faster you go, the colder the air is against your ears, hands, etc (or at least for me)

I've really enjoyed getting to know the people in my neighborhood. I see the same people out and about and that motivates me, to be able to say hello to all my pals.

Also I like to look at people's yards/decorations/just generally explore around. I'll take a break and mosey about the new homes still under construction and check out the floor plans.

I think of it as being involved in my community and exploring. Also, listen to music, or podcasts or YouTube videos. Listen to chapters of a book while you run.

Happy running!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Anyone go running or walking outdoors? I am no but with winter coming I'm curious what tricks everyone has to continue to walk and run outside without being stuck inside on treadmill????

I live in Southern California. Sunny and 60's in the "winter." :smiley:

***Ducks****
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Anyone go running or walking outdoors? I am no but with winter coming I'm curious what tricks everyone has to continue to walk and run outside without being stuck inside on treadmill????

***Ducks****

No, no, I think you mixed that up with summer! ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    @Psychgrrl wrote: »

***Ducks****

I live in Iceland... our summers are great if we get 1-2 days of 60's... I'm jealous!!

It's similar down here in Tasmania too.

I moved to Australia for the heat ..................... chose the wrong state entirely!! :astonished:
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I walk/run outdoors daily. I simply dress in layers when it gets colder outside. If it's really raining hard I walk inside a nearby Mall.
  • activities1
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    As of today -- at 4:30 in the morning -- during Hurricane Irma, I hit 610 days of getting 10k steps. All outdoors. Never once stepped on a treadmill and I don't belong to a gym.

I make it a top priority, rain or shine, blazing heat or freezing cold to get my steps. Simple.

Yes! This is what my goal is. My temps aren't low it's just the rain and running soaking wet. I don't want that.

Thank you guys for suggesting the runnerworld app too!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Where do you live? That makes a difference in what advice and tricks are needed.

I live in Wisconsin and walk and hike outdoors year round. Our summers can go up to 100° and our winters can go down to -35°. In the heat, I make sure I wear loose clothing that wicks moisture away and stay hydrated. If it is really hot, I go out in the early morning or at dusk to avoid the hot sun.

The winters are a different story. The main thing is layers. Make sure you don't overdress so you don't get overheated, but you need extra warmth at the beginning and during cool down. During the coldest times, I will wear a pair of long underwear, jeans or sweatpants, a long sleeved T-shirt, and my down jacket (rated to -20°) with plenty of zippers I can open or close as needed. On my head, it is usually a stocking cap or balaklava. If I am wearing a cap, I will also have a scarf to wrap around and protect my face.

Mid temps (20°-40°) I will wear a t-shirt, zippered light jacket, and a zippered fleece jacket. I might wear a stocking cap or headband to protect my ears, depending on the sun and wind.

Footwear is really important too. Make sure, if you live where there is ice and snow, that you have good treads. There are some really nice grips you can use too. I am partial to Kahtoola Nanospikes for general wear. They grip really well on things like black ice. I also have crampons for hiking in the woods and snowshoes if there is a lot of snow. The other thing to remember is that you need to allow room for your toes to wiggle in order to keep the circulation moving. Adding heavy socks to the same shoes you wear lightweight socks with is not a great idea if it is below freezing.

Don't forget hydration. The drier air in winter can be just as bad as sweating in summer. Just because you don't feel yourself sweating doesn't mean that you aren't. Take that water with you for longer exercise or make sure you hydrate after a shorter workout.
  • activities1
    Options
    California so weather isn't horrible. Just rain and running when soaking wet
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Ya I run/walk daily now and want to continue when it starts to rain

Besides rain proof clothing (make sure you get something that vents the moisture from your body. The most important thing is to get good socks. Nothing like wet socks to bring up blisters. I like Smartwool hikers. They never seem to rub even when soaked.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I primarily cycle and road ride. Winter where I live is fairly mild overall...December and January kind of suck with cold and snow, but most of the winter is mild enough that I can continue to ride with winter cycling attire.

In December and January I'm typically relegated to my indoor bike trainer save for the random nice day here and there.

I also typically dedicate a bit more time to the weight room in the winter and ease off on the bike a bit...warm and toasty in there.