Planet Fitness Vs Genesis

Options
2»

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about the gym you go to but the work you put in at the gym when you go

People here say that all the time, but it's only a half-truth. Having the right equipment makes a HUGE difference. So does having the right atmosphere and guidance from the staff, if needed.

Think about it. If it was only a matter of the work that you put in, you could just get a pair of 3-lb dumbbells and exercise at home. Or just run around in a park. Obviously, the gym amenities do matter.

Some people are happy at Planet Fitness, and it's possible to get results there. If you want to get results efficiently though, rather than just being happy, almost any other gym would be a better choice.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I don't think it's about the gym you go to but the work you put in at the gym when you go

People here say that all the time, but it's only a half-truth. Having the right equipment makes a HUGE difference. So does having the right atmosphere and guidance from the staff, if needed.

Think about it. If it was only a matter of the work that you put in, you could just get a pair of 3-lb dumbbells and exercise at home. Or just run around in a park. Obviously, the gym amenities do matter.

Considering that it's impossible to put the right work in with 3 lb dumbells, you're 10% right.

Since PF has up to 75 or 120 lb dumbells, the necessary equipment is present.

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    jaimydude wrote: »
    I go to Planet fitness and it is great. They don't have free weights but they have plenty of dumbells, cable weight machines and Smith Machines. Between these and the cardio options I think most people would have what they need.

I just found the environment friendlier and better in general to do your own thing.

Their memberships are reasonable and they're easier to cancel on.

They have great promotions and deals. I would just walk into one and ask what the best way is to try them for a while - which may be joining and canceling later (not sure).

But more than what anyone says here you will be the only one who can either like or dislike them. My advice would be to try them out.

There are a number of people on these boards who have a negative impression of Planet Fitness for one reason or another. There are also others who have found Planet Fitness to meet their needs and enjoy their membership there. It really gets back to one's goals and how much effort they put into it.

I've worked out at Planet Fitness for the past three years and this has worked well for me. I prefer the strength training machines to the free weights; this coupled with location, cost, availability of equipment, hours of operation and other factors has met my needs.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

No, the gym you go to is a very big part of it. I HATE the Crunch they opened in my neighborhood, I cancelled after a week and went to PF and I like it but not every location. I've never heard of Genesis though.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Some people are happy at Planet Fitness, and it's possible to get results there. If you want to get results efficiently though, rather than just being happy, almost any other gym would be a better choice.

Why would any other gym be a better choice?
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I do believe different gym cultures/vibes are important when choosing a gym- and it is different for everyone. Also, having appropriate equipment for your goals. I recently joined a local gym chain after looking at many, even cheaper/more expensive options, and picked it for my varied interests and tastes. I recommend checking out trial memberships (most have at least a 1 day pass) and see how you like it.

I did have a PF membership a few years ago that I cancelled after a few months. I am not personally a fan, but my needs may differ from your own.
  • spartan_d
    Options

Considering that it's impossible to put the right work in with 3 lb dumbells, you're 10% right.

Since PF has up to 75 or 120 lb dumbells, the necessary equipment is present.

Your analysis is incorrect. You don't need ANY gym equipment to get fit. Cardio and body weight exercises do wonders. Some people manage to stay fit without any weights whatsoever.

That is why I say that it's a half-truth to declare that it's not "about the gym you go to but the work you put in at the gym when you go." The logical implication of that statement is that any old gym would work, no matter how inadequate the equipment is. Sure, you can get fit with any old gym, but that doesn't make the gym a good choice.

"But the Planet Fitness equipment is adequate!" some people declare. Sure, depending on one's goals. It's needlessly sub-optimal though, and it lacks many of the amenities that would allow for more efficient fat burning or strength building. Not to mention that they prohibit many of the most effective exercises for achieving these goals.

As I keep saying, you CAN get fit at a place like Planet Fitness. I wouldn't recommend it if you want to do so efficiently though -- and especially if you're a beginner. Beginners, more than anyone else, need guidance and the right exercises to help them progress efficiently.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »

Why would any other gym be a better choice?
    As I said, having better equipment and the right atmosphere makes all the difference. When a gym sounds an alarm on people who are working extra hard, for example, that sends the wrong message to its clientele. Not to mention that, as I said a couple of time earlier, they prohibit some of the most beneficial exercises around (deadlifting, overhead presses, jump roping, etc).

I wouldn't say that ANY other gym would be better. There are some copycat gyms that have emulated PF's money-making model (i.e. enact policies that tend to deter people who'd use the gym on a regular basis). I've been to a great many gyms and community centers in my day though, and PF is definitely at the bottom of my list.
  • paigemcfall
    paigemcfall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I've heard planet fitness isn't good in terms of weight lifting but if you aren't interested in that then it's probably fine.