Do you all stop eating after a certain time?

Options

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I try to stop eating before I fall asleep. There's usually a snack ready on my nightstand in case I need it in the middle of the night
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I try not to after 9pm (no real reason!) but sometimes I wake up starving at 2am so have a spoonful of cottage cheese or peanut butter and count it in to that days allowence.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Typically I try to be done with my last main meal between 5 pm and 7 pm. After 9-10 pm I lose my appetite and hunger, so if I've had a strenuous workout on the same day then my net calories plunge way under 1000. Of course that doesn't mean that I can't have a treat of an ice-lolly or some hot cocoa later if I feel like it.
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat past 8:30pm just to give my stomach some time to settle before bed, but if I have calories left over and I want something to snack on, I'll have it.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i try to get my dinner and snacks in before 7-8p, and on scuba class nights i'll have a small protein like a justin's almond butter snack pack after class gets out (10p) - mainly because i sleep like utter crap if i eat before bed and i really value my sleep.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I would say the answer to this is a matter of personal preference, goals, and circumstances.

First example - I like to workout in the evenings. That's my preference. I also know that I should eat back at least some of my workout calories. So if my workout ends at 7:30pm, I eat at 7:35pm. Others in this thread have cited sleeping better or intermittent fasting for timing to eat which would be other great examples of personal preference.

Another example - I know myself. If I give myself free reign to eat all evening, I will. If I set an arbitrary cut off time to leave the kitchen for the night, I can use that as a tool to help me meet my weight loss/maintenance weight goal when needed.

Final example - I will ocassionally work a late night or have a circumstance which doesn't allow for me to eat dinner until after 8pm. If I didn't hit the minimum calorie goal for the day (1200 for women is standard - my personal minimum is 1400 when maintaining), even if it's late and I am not very hungry, I eat something (a couple tablespoons of PB can do the trick quickly) to meet the minimum threshold for daily caloric intake.

So as you can see, preferences, goals and circumstances (and I am sure other factors) can lead to your individual answer as to whether or not it makes sense to stop eating around 7pm or not. There's no right or wrong here on timing to eat so long as you stick to your calorie goals set by MFP.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I usually have a snack while watching tv before I go to bed, sometimes I dont
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    As sooooo many have stated, it is more of a personal preference than anything. I follow a very very very relaxed Intermittent Fasting \ Flexible Diet regime. I typically eat while in the office (I work in IT and am in the office longer than I care to admit). So, there is some structured flexibility. However, I am sitting in a Starbucks and I had a raisin-cinnamon bagel. I just make sure to add the macros for the bagel in today. It works well for me.

Key is to find what works for you. If adherence is one of the biggest indicators of success, you need to - I would suggest - set yourself up for success. If you can not stand chicken, then putting chicken on the menu everyday will lead to "non-adherence"!

So, if you eat every three hours (7AM, 10AM, 1PM, 4PM, 7PM) and that works for you - perfect! There is your formula. If you eat two huge meals (10:30AM and 4:30PM) and that works for you - perfect! There is your formula.

And, what works for me might not work for you. So, whatever I suggest (well, not suggesting anything here, simply sharing my experiences) should be taken with a grain of salt as to whether you do that or not. Sure, if it SOUNDS like a good idea, then try it. Stick with that for six to eight weeks and see how you respond. If it works, cool. If not, move on to the next idea. Stick with that one for the next six to eight weeks. You get the picture.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't do an exact time to stop or start but I run by a rough 16/8 intermittent fasting where I stop eating by about 8pm and start back about noon. Does the timing matter? Not really, I just prefer that "feeding window".
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Time does not matter, but I eat regular meals so don't snack after dinner (or at other times). I do sometimes have a planned "dessert" (some kind of indulgence, could be fruit or cheese) immediately after dinner.

I usually get home quite late and so eat quite late -- generally at 9, sometimes even at 10, and for me going to bed soon after doesn't matter (I usually am up for a couple of hours afterwards but if I'm not it's fine). However, some people do find it affects sleep so that is something to be aware of.

I lost 95 lbs eating, on average, around 9:30, and if I were to say I cannot eat after 7 I'd never be able to have dinner (since I'm not home yet), so claims that one must eat by some absurdly (in my mind) early time always have irritated me. I know it's not true.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am trying, really trying, to not eat after dinner. That is my down fall. I love to snack--then snack some more. I started back on mfp with a goal to stop gaining weight. I started looking at my food and all day, I did pretty well. Then after dinner, just wanting crackers, cookies, popcorn, just kind of a mindless, but obsessive snacking, so I have tried to just stop. It isn't the calories counting, it is my will power that no just says why start snacking after dinner... Good luck!
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    No. I will eat a snack at 10 pm. I'm sure if I put a deadline, I'd eat fewer calories as my snack calories are what I add out a snack while watching t.v. habit I have had for years.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I know some people say they won't eat or snack after 7:00 PM. What do other people do? Is there benefit to doing this when it comes to losing weight or health in general?

I go to bed between 10 pm and midnight typically. I usually don't feel the need to eat after 9 pm.
    I don't think it matters for weight loss what time you eat as long as you stick to your calorie deficit.
    If you have issues with eating close to the time you will sleep there is probably a benefit in eating lighter at night or stopping a few hours before bed.

• CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I got in the habit years ago with a bad bout of acid reflux of not eating 2 hours before bed. That completely stopped my acid reflux problems and I've mostly kept to that habit. I'm not 100% with it and it has nothing to do with my weight loss.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I know some people say they won't eat or snack after 7:00 PM. What do other people do? Is there benefit to doing this when it comes to losing weight or health in general?

There definitely can be a benefit if it lowers your overall calorie consumption.

Personally, I go for the opposite approach. I don't start eating until later in the day. I shoot for 1:00 but it's usually closer to 2:30. We eat dinner at about 8:30 - 9:00 p.m. so stopping at 7:00 would be a problem for me.
  • 123Miche
    123Miche Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try not to snack after i eat dinner (usually around 7). Brushing my teeth after i eat usually helps. I will also drink some tea if i get in the mood to snack
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    My trainer at the gym said to stop eating 2hrs before bed so that's what I do

Trainers at the gym aren't typically certified to give nutritional advice.
  • JJBCPP
    JJBCPP Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can't even make it through the night without eating
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    conniehv40 wrote: »
    I am trying, really trying, to not eat after dinner. That is my down fall. I love to snack--then snack some more. I started back on mfp with a goal to stop gaining weight. I started looking at my food and all day, I did pretty well. Then after dinner, just wanting crackers, cookies, popcorn, just kind of a mindless, but obsessive snacking, so I have tried to just stop. It isn't the calories counting, it is my will power that no just says why start snacking after dinner... Good luck!

I have the same issue so I leave plenty of calories for the late night snacking (usually 300-400). Instead of fighting it, I decided my best course of action was to control it. I have specific foods that I have and select from them based on what macros I have left over. Examples: snack size bags of microwave popcorn, yogurt, cheese, eggs, nuts, protein bars, etc.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    Options
    I eat a snack right before bed every night if I have the calories. I love going to bed with no hunger and it hasn't slowed down my progress one bit.