Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

School Food Policies

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    avskk wrote: »

Children need an overall healthful, varied diet. They do not need to be hounded and punished for eating a single cookie at a single meal.

Which is why I feel that it should be an option with something healthy.

Okay, so what if the kid isn't hungry enough for two snacks? Sorry, kid, no cookie for you -- you just get the apple? That seems pretty harsh, if the cookies have already been offered.

I am saying they should have 2 healthy options such as carrots or apples. Not necessarily carrots or cookie. If they are offered carrot or apple, and then if you are still hungry you can have a cookie, I don't see that as harsh.

So would you as at teacher want to have to administer this for 20-30 kids? Or as a team of cafeteria workers have each of your teammates responsible to do this for maybe 50-75 kids?

Just offer 1-2 healthy snacks from the school. No school employee wants to have to make sure a kid ate one thing before they could have something else.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Children need an overall healthful, varied diet. They do not need to be hounded and punished for eating a single cookie at a single meal.

Okay, so what if the kid isn't hungry enough for two snacks? Sorry, kid, no cookie for you -- you just get the apple? That seems pretty harsh, if the cookies have already been offered.

I am saying they should have 2 healthy options such as carrots or apples. Not necessarily carrots or cookie. If they are offered carrot or apple, and then if you are still hungry you can have a cookie, I don't see that as harsh.

Except in effect what this does is only give "treats" to kids with larger appetites or higher caloric needs. If one petite young girl is full after her "healthy" choice, but the tall boy next to her still has room for a cookie (and gets one), the school is effectively just rewarding those who eat more. What kind of message do you think that sends to the kids? What kind of message do you think it sends to set up "healthy" food as an obstacle you must clear to get "treats?" I don't understand the point of offering cookies at all if the school doesn't want kids eating them. If the point is "to coerce kids into choosing a healthy snack," it seems the easier and more logical route would be to only offer healthy snacks.

Yes, it would be easier and more logical to only offer healthy snacks. Maybe in this case, this is what the school will end up doing.
    My kids, like any other kids, will go on a binge when I am not home.

Really? that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation isn't it? i never binged as a kid, and we always had a well stocked treat cupboard at home. it was only as an adult when i moved out of home that i gained any weight.

I think most kids would binge eat treats if they thought there would be no repercussions. I wouldn't have done it as a child either because I know there would have been repercussions. But I wanted to. I wanted to eat the whole jar of cookies and ruin my appetite for dinner. I think it's is fair to say that most kids want to.

Yes! I was the exact same way when I was a kid. I remember selling some kind of chocolate bars for band. They were $1 each. I knew that if I ate that candy I would have to pay for them. It didn't stop me from having a few, but I didn't want to pay for all 50 of them that were sent home with us,
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

So would you as at teacher want to have to administer this for 20-30 kids? Or as a team of cafeteria workers have each of your teammates responsible to do this for maybe 50-75 kids?

Just offer 1-2 healthy snacks from the school. No school employee wants to have to make sure a kid ate one thing before they could have something else.

You make a good point. No, I wouldn't want to be the one to administer this. Which would lead to one of the other suggestions of not having any cookies to begin with. This would make it easier on the teachers and whoever else is giving the snacks.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Not sure why the school is offering snacks at all, but this seems like a variation on the theme of "eat your veg or no dessert" that seems pretty common? Also, those who for whatever reason end up eating less (eg if they're on a 1200kcal target here!) need to make smarter choices with their food to get adequate nutrients. That's also similar to this incident - eat the more nutritious stuff first. This seems to reflect real life in several useful ways - in particular that real life doesn't always match up with any given notion of fairness.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Children will always choose desire over common sense. It's up to adults to help the child to build good habits. Personally, I don't think cookies should have been offered at all. In my home, there is no desert. There is no sweet reward for doing what is expected of you. This creates a mind set that they should be rewarded for eating right which can lead to over eating later on in life instead of eating till you are full.

Remember the "Finish what's on your plate if you want desert." from childhood? Remember eating past the point of full just for a cookie or ice cream cone? Anyone regret or resent their parents for teaching them that? I do. I won't make my kids fat.. Junk is reserved for special occasions like birthdays and holidays.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My kids, like any other kids, will go on a binge when I am not home.

Really? that's a bit of a sweeping generalisation isn't it? i never binged as a kid, and we always had a well stocked treat cupboard at home. it was only as an adult when i moved out of home that i gained any weight.

I found that interesting too. As a kid, I was already chubby, but I never binged or snuck around in food at home or anywhere else. I remember around age 9 or 10, when I started having friends over to spend the night and for short periods after school when my parents weren't there...my friends would be DYING to get into whatever snacks were in the cabinets and fridge. Almost all of my friends did this, skinny, fat, third grade friends all the way up to high school. I remember one girl ate the entire package (probably half full) of Nesquick powder, and another friend was all big eyes "We should make mashed potatoes!" when she saw the box of instant potatoes...she made them, and then put a cup of margarine in them.

You just never know, I guess. The only thing I wanted to get more of was Halloween chocolate.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Teaching kids to think of unhealthy foods as a reward is not a good thing, and neither is forcing children to eat foods they don't want to eat. Either give cookies or don't but don't make them contingent on eating something else.

Yes, I grew up in a household which made me clean my plate before I ate dessert. And like the OP's children I learned to sneak snacks and binge on them as a result. Healthy children raised in cultures which don't use food as a reward don't naturally do this. It's taken me forty years to retrain myself that I can eat an appropriate amount of food because I can have more when I want it.

Sorry, but it took you 40 years to learn to eat appropriately just because your parent(s) told you to clean your plate?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Children will always choose desire over common sense. It's up to adults to help the child to build good habits. Personally, I don't think cookies should have been offered at all. In my home, there is no desert. There is no sweet reward for doing what is expected of you. This creates a mind set that they should be rewarded for eating right which can lead to over eating later on in life instead of eating till you are full.

Remember the "Finish what's on your plate if you want desert." from childhood? Remember eating past the point of full just for a cookie or ice cream cone? Anyone regret or resent their parents for teaching them that? I do. I won't make my kids fat.. Junk is reserved for special occasions like birthdays and holidays.

I grew up in a finish what's on your plate if you want dessert home. I think it taught me good habits by teaching me which foods are important for health and which are treats.

Same here. I don't remember eating past the point of being full, but then, my mom always gave me reasonable portions. She started us with small portions and we were welcome to seconds if we wanted them.

Yes, this is me too.

I'm glad I was required to eat my vegetables, as I learned to like them. Overeating wasn't really an issue (and I was always a thin or normal weight child), maybe my mom just had a good sense of portion. (We also could usually get more if we wanted.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Teaching kids to think of unhealthy foods as a reward is not a good thing, and neither is forcing children to eat foods they don't want to eat. Either give cookies or don't but don't make them contingent on eating something else.

Yes, I grew up in a household which made me clean my plate before I ate dessert. And like the OP's children I learned to sneak snacks and binge on them as a result. Healthy children raised in cultures which don't use food as a reward don't naturally do this. It's taken me forty years to retrain myself that I can eat an appropriate amount of food because I can have more when I want it.

Sorry, but it took you 40 years to learn to eat appropriately just because your parent(s) told you to clean your plate?

And may I ask why you are on this site? It's not all healthy skinny people with great relationships to food here.

Over half of Americans are overweight. It's not because our culture is smart about how we teach our children to eat. Cultures such as France which do not use food as rewards have much lower rates of obesity.

LOL Only Americans must eat dinner before dessert? But that has little to do with why it would take 40 years to unlearn such a simple thing.

We aren't overweight because of having to finish dinner before getting dessert either. That has been going on for many generations. Most of us being overweight has not.