Has anyone beat ptsd (post traumatic stress). I'm hoping getting physically stronger will help me

Options
Using weights as a positive tool to help my mind get stronger as well as my body

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    While I (thankfully) haven't had to deal with that, something that improves you as a person has to have a positive impact on your PTSD.
    Much love and best wishes.
  • BekahAngel05
    BekahAngel05 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from ptsd. I would say exercise does help. I had to stop exercising for over a year due to my S.I. joint and during that year the nightmares and back flashes and everything was worse. I just started being able to exercise again 2 weeks ago and I already have mental improvement
  • helengains
    helengains Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Inspired thank you
  • opheliasroses
    opheliasroses Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have C-PTSD (Complex PTSD). I've been hospitalized for it, on numerous medications, I was a self-harmer and suicidal for years. I've come to terms with the fact that it will mostly likely be something I have to manage for the rest of my life. I've had therapists and doctors that encourage exercise as it naturally creates endorphins for the mind. It also keeps the brain busy because you are focusing on something intently. Working out and exercise takes focus and concentration, two things that if left idle, your PTSD symptoms will take over. I have PTSD workbooks that help me as well. I highly recommend "The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for overcoming PTSD", the author is Mary Beth Williams. I got mine on Amazon. Its an amazing book!
  • helengains
    Options
    Thank you so much I'll definitely look out for that. Yes focus is key I think and been able to manage it better. I've got an exercise programme I'm going to print out which will be a good start. I'm feeling confident that exercise will help.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I find that the more I concentrate on health the less my life is ruled by the past. Things that have helped me on the path to beating back PTSD include yoga, which makes me feel more centered and balanced and doing regular aerobic exercise. I take an aquasize class, walk and dance. Mostly I follow along with YouTube videos for yoga and zumba-ish dance. One thing about yoga is that is helps you to get in touch with your physical self (the breath and feeling things in the body) and takes you out of your monkey mind for awhile.

I also watch a lot of self-help and self-healing videos on YouTube. It's pretty amazing how much information is out there. Not all of it is great, but some of it is wonderful! I'm currently listening to talks by Eckhart Tolle. He suffered from severe depression for years, but now teaches about how embracing the present moment is the key to happiness. All that being said, it's a marathon not a sprint. I don't think you can overcome something so severe as PTSD overnight, but every day can be a step in the direction of improved mental and physical health.

Blessings to all who suffer from this terrible affliction. It can get better.
  • helengains
    Options
    Thank you. Inspiring post
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I have C-PTSD (Complex PTSD). I've been hospitalized for it, on numerous medications, I was a self-harmer and suicidal for years. I've come to terms with the fact that it will mostly likely be something I have to manage for the rest of my life. I've had therapists and doctors that encourage exercise as it naturally creates endorphins for the mind. It also keeps the brain busy because you are focusing on something intently. Working out and exercise takes focus and concentration, two things that if left idle, your PTSD symptoms will take over. I have PTSD workbooks that help me as well. I highly recommend "The PTSD Workbook: Simple, Effective Techniques for overcoming PTSD", the author is Mary Beth Williams. I got mine on Amazon. Its an amazing book!

My experience is like this one (CPTSD as well). And I'll add that it does get better, but it really never goes away. Welcome to the new you. :) It's not all bad, but you'll never be the same person you were before the trauma. You'll be vigilant forever--but probably not miserable. Good luck, OP.
  • helengains
    Options
    It's nice that people can talk about this. Fitness and mental health go together well. I feel incredibly fragile so overprotective brain Is saying don't exercise.
  • Daniellemh33
    Daniellemh33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ive had PTSD twice. It has taken years but I was able to move past it.
  • Daniellemh33
    Daniellemh33 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ive used The PTSD Workbook I do I d it helpful
  • helengains
    Options
    Thank you I'll give it a go. Where did you get it from please
  • helengains
    Options
    I'd like to eventually move somewhere I feel safer. I live in rough area
  • Thinsue02
    Thinsue02 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for anybody who suffers from PTSD struggled all my life basically from sexual abuse still at 65 I struggle definitely hard to get past but you got to keep Going. I hope to keep the exercise instead of using alcohol and prescription drugs to numb the pain a day at a time
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I haven't beat it but I'm coping better.
  • helengains
    Options
    Inspiring stuff. Thank you to all that have posted. I wasn't sure if I should on fitness ap forum but thought that someone out there might of used exercise to get stronger