Carbs from Fruits....are they bad?

Options
I'm getting most of my daily carbs from fruits. Have tried to limit/eliminate breads, pasta, etc. Are fruit carbs okay?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Probably not. Do you have a medical condition or instructions from a doctor that would make you think it would be?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Carbs in general are not bad. Unless you are diabetic, then you just need to watch your intake.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Carbs in any form aren't "bad." What makes you think they are?

Calories are what cause weight loss/gain.
  • LeslieHuggins
    LeslieHuggins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No medical condition or doctors instructions, just trying to follow low carb diet. Some days (today-Taco Tuesday at the bar we own) I don't do so well!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    No medical condition or doctors instructions, just trying to follow low carb diet. Some days (today-Taco Tuesday at the bar we own) I don't do so well!

OIC Well, the carbs in fruit are still carbs so if you trying to stick to low carb they would count the same as any other carb.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you are going to eat fruit on a low carb diet consider berries since they are high in fiber and less net carbs. As far as taco Tuesday - skip the shell/chips, pile on the lettuce, meat, cheese, salsa, sour cream and guac!
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If you just want low carb, just make sure your aren't replacing all those "saved" carbs from ditching bread and pasta with fruit. An apple a day keeps the Dr away but a bag of apples?

Berries and melons like cantaloupe and honey dew are lowest in carbs but that doesn't mean you can't have other fruits. Just choose the amount of carbs you are aiming for and decide how much of those you want to be fruit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    No, they aren't bad (make sure you get some carbs from vegetables, however, IMO). But if your goal is to low carb, they count just like carbs from a potato or pasta would.
  • LeslieHuggins
    LeslieHuggins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

There's nothing inherently wrong with carbs in general...but if you're trying to low carb, a lot of fruit probably isn't the answer...they're carbs...and carbs are carbs where that is concerned.

I guess it depends on how low carb you're trying to go and whether or not you're hitting your carb targets...berries and whatnot will be less than things like apples and bananas...

If you're low carb focused, you'd be better off with maybe a serving of berries and focusing on veg...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Carbs are "evil" to many that just can't stop eating more than they should. Other than that, carbs are all broken down to simplest form (glucose, frutose) and then absorbed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Bread carbs and fruit carbs are carbs. Your body don't care where from, your insulin spikes all the same. Why did you think they were different?
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    If you are going to eat fruit on a low carb diet consider berries since they are high in fiber and less net carbs. As far as taco Tuesday - skip the shell/chips, pile on the lettuce, meat, cheese, salsa, sour cream and guac!

Sure, skip the shells, and instead just pile on 1500 or so calories worth of other food instead.

Solid game plan :smile: