Eating out is depressing

Options
CALake
CALake Posts: 269 Member
I used to love eating out. Now I stress about what I'm going to eat- and I get so depressed at how bad restaurant meals are!

Going to PF Changs today for lunch (which I used to love!) but looked up their nutrition info and my usual lunch bowl of sesame chicken and brown rice is over 1,000 calories!!! And it's always a small bowl- I'm usually still hungry after I eat it! What's up with that? How is it possible to pack so many calories in such a little bowl??

I just find it so hard to go out and enjoy a splurge meal when I know how much it is going to screw up my day.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I used to love eating out. Now I stress about what I'm going to eat- and I get so depressed at how bad restaurant meals are!

Going to PF Changs today for lunch (which I used to love!) but looked up their nutrition info and my usual lunch bowl of sesame chicken and brown rice is over 1,000 calories!!! And it's always a small bowl- I'm usually still hungry after I eat it! What's up with that? How is it possible to pack so many calories in such a little bowl??

I just find it so hard to go out and enjoy a splurge meal when I know how much it is going to screw up my day.
    It's the oil it's cooked in that makes the caloric value high. Almost everything there is cooked in a wok, so oil is of heavy use.
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    On a day when I'm planning to eat out, I try to go exercise an extra time that day -- to "buy" myself a few more calories (to make it possible for me to eat out and not have to be so stingy). It's helped me to still be able to enjoy eating out!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, me too! Maybe you can split the meal with someone, or save the other 1/2 for a different night. Or, try their lettuce wraps!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I ate Subway, McDonalds and Pizza Hut this weekend. None of it sounded good, none of it tasted good but I was traveling with my family and had no choice. I got in plenty of exercise for the calories but would prefer a home cooked meal over fast food anyday :(
  • jbbolton
    jbbolton Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm the same way, and then when I do eat it in some cases I can taste how bad it is for me. It had been a while since I eat at Wendy's but I did last night and omg I could taste the sodium in every bite. It was a double whammy of sorts, felt bad for straying from my plan AND felt bad after eating terrible food. Bleh
  • goninionlb
    Options
    USUALLY WHEN I GO TO THE BUFFET STYLE I JUST AIM FOR THE SALAD AND THE VEGGIES FIRST THEN PICK TWO KIND OF MEAT THIS WAY I HAVE MORE FILLING --I AVOID THE RICE AND NOODLES...... IF I HAVE A MENU TO PICK I JUST PUT ASIDE THE RICE NOT EAT IT SINCE IT COMES WITH THE MENU I JUST FOCUS ON THE MEAT AND THE VEGGIES....
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    well, you're going at it in the right manner though... checking the calories before you go out and finding an alternative is your best bet. I have never been to PF Chang's, but I have had to find new favorites at local restaurants. Maybe they have something else on the menu that is lower in calories and is still appealing.

Bottom line, go in with a game plan and log your food before you go. Stick to the plan and you will have less stress and be able to enjoy your choices and your company without worrying. GL!
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I try not to splurge when I go out. I look up the restaurant and find a food choice that works into my plan. It is hard to eat out, but like you I don't want it to undo what I am working so hard to accomplish. There are healthy choices you can make so you can enjoy your meal and still feel good when you are done. Research PF Changs and see what you can find that fits into your day better.
  • KittMahan
    KittMahan Posts: 106
    Options
    Yes, if you feel the need to eat what most people consider a "normal" restaurant meal, exercise that day and the day before or after, and save some calories from the day before, or cut a bit the day after.

Although you don't want to starve yourself one day to binge the next, your caloric balance should be consistent over the week. Day by day slavery to a count is unnecessary, and limits your choices...
  • superflashphoto
    superflashphoto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I hate knowing that I'm blowing all of my calories on one meal... but at the same time, I also want to be able to go out and have fun with my friends.
    What I tend to do is either order off the healthy choices menu (usually places will have a few options that are pretty decent), or stick to things that say "grilled" rather than "crispy" (which usually means battered and fried hehe)

I find that fajitas are usually a good option, because they're just grilled chicken with vegetables, and you get to control the condiments - you don't even have to have the wrap if you don't want to.

OR... I just eat whatever I want (and have water to drink), knowing that it's going to completely blow my day... and commit to working out and eating well for the next few days afterwards. It'll all even itself out.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ahhh yes... i struggle with that as well. All that oil... makes it taste damn good... :-p

When i know i'm going to eat out... i'll go much lighter on earlier meals, then get a good workout in. Going out on a whim is a no go for me anymore.... Its hard, so sometimes i dont bother eating out... it is sad, so i definitely know how you feel
  • KittMahan
    KittMahan Posts: 106
    Options
    And yes, I've become the party pooper who orders the least fattening thing on the menu, and who becomes a bit higher maintenance with the wait staff.

"Can I have the chicken club sandwich, just don't bring me the bun?"

"The greek salad, but leave the meat out please?"

"Could you ask the chef to just roast some veggies, whatever they have, and put it over a bed of spinach please?"

All of these have been met with a "sure" and a lovely meal for me.

And the appetizer menu can sometimes work out fine as a meal...
  • change_happens
    Options
    Hi! I personally eat out a lot, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, I-Hop, and honestly, I don't beat myself up about it. I enjoy my time and I eat what I want. I don't pick and choose over the menu, I just get what I like and enjoy it.

Now, when I go to dinner with my husband, who is on a caloriue restricted diet, it drives me nuts. He can't enjoy anything because he has to know the calorie content. Well, my thing is this... If you are going to count every single calorie on a day out or an every-now-and-again-lunch, then why torture yourself. If, of course, you feel that you are going to feel odd or guilty afterward.

This is what I believe, go and have your lunch. Enjoy it. Exercise this evening and tomorrow make it a fruit and veggie day. I am a firm believer that life is to be enjoyed. I don't find it very enjoyable to have a headache over every morsel of food I place in my mouth.

Remember, it is about the total amount of calories consumed within the week, not in a day. So, if you are on a 1200 calorie diet, that would be 8400 calories within a week. Stagger your calories through the week and you should be fine.

So.... Have fun. Maybe aim for some beef or chicken with a bowl of steamed rice. Still a tasty option but with less calories (from the oil).

Have fun!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    PF Changs has one of the worst places to eat healthy. The sodium alone kills you whole day. I was shocked when I looked up their menu. Maybe you could suggest some where else?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yep. We pretty much don't eat out anymore. Only rarely for a treat. One, it's so dang expensive. I hate paying the mark up prices PLUS tip! Then I have no will power when I see people eating yummy foods in front of me. So I remove the temptation by not going.
  • luscadero
    luscadero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain :(

I usually get the pepper steak at pf chang's and only eat half - it's 400 calories and the beef fills me up. My other option is the buddha's feast, steamed, because I can eat the whole thing and stay under 500 calories :flowerforyou:

Unfortunately, my boss loves to take me to pf chang's, and you can't really say no to your boss!! :grumble:
  • Ladylyn1969
    Options
    When going out to eat, i find it a fun challenge to look at the menu ahead of time to find something I can eat and plan my meal...that way there"s no surprises, and I'm usually happy with myself and satisfied with my meal.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! Get a to go box and box up half your meal before you eat any. Then you can get two meals out of one. That is what I do.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't think its that bad. McD's now do those grilled chicken wraps, one of those sans sauce is less than 200 calories. Subway is ok a six inch club or something. If I eat at a pub or restaurant I go for steak or fish take the fat off , tell them to hold the fries, and have veges and meat and just one drink. Its doeable. Chinese go for chicken and veges or something and just have the half portion.
  • jenhenning219
    jenhenning219 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I ate Subway, McDonalds and Pizza Hut this weekend. None of it sounded good, none of it tasted good but I was traveling with my family and had no choice. I got in plenty of exercise for the calories but would prefer a home cooked meal over fast food anyday :(
    if i eat subway i eat the veggie delight salad with grilled chicken and the ff sweet onion dressing , if i go to mcdonalds i eat a salad with a ff dressing and use half the packet and same with pizza hut i will get the salad bar and have a slice
    it doesnt all have to be high in calories you just have to make the right choices