Hit a wall

Options
So I've hit a wall with my weight. Sigh. How does one get over the wall and keep from plateauing? That is one tough cookie. I'm exercising 4-5 days a week for 30 mins a day. I'm cutting way down on sweets and breads and other heavy forms of carbs. I don't know what else to do. Only thing that is going for me is I'm losing inches. I can't see it but my husband can and co workers can. Only thing I know to do is strap down on more low carb foods and really watch portion. Sigh. What other ideas does everyone have?

Replies

• sandeegriffin
    sandeegriffin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and logging your foods and staying below your calorie allotment? Nothing else matters. Your body will lose weight just as quickly if you eat nothing but twinkies, if you eat below your calorie needs and stay in a caloric deficit. If you eat the finest clean no carb foods in the world and work out until you can't stand up, you will not lose weight if you eat too many calories.

I don't weigh my good as I have no method to. I measure with cups or spoons depending on the serving size. For example on the bag of SunChips it will say 15 chips is one serving. I will count out 15 whole chips. It may seem like a stupid idea to you but it works for me. I don't log anymore and just try and guess. Other posters have said the same thing. Logging helps. Thank you for responding. I'll start fresh on logging.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Only thing I know to do is strap down on more low carb foods and really watch portion. Sigh. What other ideas does everyone have?

It's good to remember that we lose by calories, not the type of food. I eat loads of carbs (mostly in the form of vegetables, fruit, oatmeal, and legumes) and have had no problem losing weight.

I stalled last year and tried intermittent fasting for a couple of weeks. I ate during an 8 hour window. It was rough the first few days but then I got used to it. I believe the benefit was it reduced my appetite so I ate less. I'm about to try it again.

• JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Weighing food works best for me over measuring. I've cut out the high carb foods pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, beer
  • sandeegriffin
    Options

i. I will count out 15 whole chips. It may seem like a stupid idea to you but it works for me. .

But does it really work for you? Let's be honest - this is a post about how you're having trouble losing weight. You're not losing weight because you eat too many calories. You eat too many calories because you refuse to spend $15 on a food scale and use it to accurately log your food.

I totally get it. Logging food isn't always the most fun thing. But if you want to lose the one thing you need to do is eat at a deficit. To know you're eating at a deficit you can wing it as you are now and if you're losing then yay - you're eating at the deficit you think you are. But if you're not losing you need to make some changes - like logging and accuracy will really help.

Yes that does help that I measure my food differently. I've done it in the past and it helped tremendously. I just fell off the bandwagon and need to get back on. As far as refusing to buy a scale....I'm not refusing to buy a scale....I've been discussing this with my husband and we agreed to keep it simple and not get into weighing food...Yes I agree that weighing food is a lot more accurate but why weigh food when what I've done before works?? And for your information I'm just asking for a little kind help and wish to not be assumed I did something or said something when I didn't... I appreciate you replying but I don't appreciate you making an assumption about me when you don't know me. I post on this forum to get kind advice and help and NOT to have people assume something about me which is INCORRECT.
    Thank you.
  • sandeegriffin
    Options
    Oh and another thing everyone please take note...when I have logged in the past based on measuring my food by other means instead of weighing IT WORKED...my husband saw a difference and so did I...ONLY thing is I've stopped logging and just have been eyeballing everything which is what hasn't worked....so....I'm gonna start fresh Sunday because it's the beginning of the week and log my meals... if anyone has a problem with this please private message me here....I post in MFP and have gotten some wonderful help and advice from kind people thank you... This is the first time I've ever been bashed on here and whether or not I should weigh my food....I do appreciate all responses but I do not appreciate being bashed people.....I post on MFP because I lack the knowledge....This is supposed to be a community and not a bash party....End rant
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to keep doing what you're doing and continue to spin your wheels, or take note of the excellent advice you've received here and try following it.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I saw that video on eyeballing versus weighing. It was very enlightening and I went out and got a food scale. Now I use grams as well. I do it quickly as I don't have lots of time to weigh food.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I saw that video on eyeballing versus weighing. It was very enlightening and I went out and got a food scale. Now I use grams as well. I do it quickly as I don't have lots of time to weigh food.

Same here. A scale is so much quicker than counting out chips, wondering if I really have a 1/2 cup of fruit/veg. Now I just put my bowl/plate on the scale, fill it up and know how much I am eating. Even on days I choose not to log, I still weigh out my portion to know how much I am eating.
  • Jpoirier17
    Jpoirier17 Posts: 18 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    For me i adjusted my BMR based on my all day Hearth rate monitor and i realised that when i started on my resting day i was burning 2400 cal a day but since i lost 20kg now i am burning only 1950, so i had to change my calories intake and on the day i train i eat back 80% of my active calories.