Working and calories

I wear my fit bit to work daily. I'm on my feet running all day. Most days my fit bit logs anywhere from 11000 to 14000 steps. I've been considering that as excersise. I drag my *kitten* home daily feet hurting and exhausted. I've been told that since its work it doesn't count as excersise

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    It should be part of your activitylevel. Ie you are not sedentaryor lightly active but probably active or very active
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    It really depends how you have your activity setting on mfp. While some can argue for/against it being considered exercise, it's certainly more activity than sitting on the couch!

If you have your activity level set to sedentary and have fitbit sync, you will get more calories from those steps. If you take that into account as your normal daily activity and set your activity level or active, then you won't get as many extra calories when your fitbit syncs (but you would have more calories to start your day).

I hope that makes sense. I guess the point is - it doesn't matter if you technically call it exercise or not. You are burning more calories than if you weren't doing that - and that counts into your additional calorie allotment one way or another.

As a fitbit user, I prefer to set my activity level or sedentary and have fitbit add the calories in for me based on number of steps per day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I wear my fit bit to work daily. I'm on my feet running all day. Most days my fit bit logs anywhere from 11000 to 14000 steps. I've been considering that as excersise. I drag my *kitten* home daily feet hurting and exhausted. I've been told that since its work it doesn't count as excersise

Yeah but so what?

What people are (probably) telling you is that you should set a higher activity level because work is something you do every day. Well, 5 out of 7 days anyway. Instead of logging an exercise every day, people are saying just raise your daily calories to account for this right off the bat.

Honestly if you use a Fitbit, it's tracking for you, so it's not like you have to do anything special to put it as exercise. So you can do it that way if you prefer. Just make sure you allow negative adjustments if you do, so you don't double count your steps.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Do you have the Fitbit synced to your myfitnesspal?? If so it should adjust your calorie goal based on your actual activity.