I need personal opinions please

Options
I'm just starting out counting my macronutrients. I'm 5'8" at 158 lbs. My goal is to gain lean mass and gain strength. I've decided to hit a daily goal of 2,728 calories at 30% protien 30% fat and 40% carbs. That's 205 grams protien, 273 grams carbs, and 91 grams fat. I do weight training 5 days a week and cardio 3 days a week. I just want some personal opinions on these numbers and if there is anything you would change or tweak a little. Thanks

Replies

• Banany89
    Banany89 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Numbers sound good - In my experience, (one of the) important thing(s) is to ensure you are hitting your protein (between 0.9 - 1.1 grams per body/lb) then you should see progress.

What is your training plan like? Another key thing is to incorporate compound lifting into your training, things like Bench, Squat and Dead lifts and progressively overloading the weight each session (adding 2.5kg-ish). This will help you build on strength. Just be careful and ensure you keep good form to avoid injury.

I would suggest sticking to your Macros for 2 weeks and keep an eye on body weight and take progress photos. After 2 weeks, you can make a decision on whether the macros / training need tweaking.

Hope that helps!

P.S. As well as the P F C Macros, keep track of Fibre too (at least 30g) :)
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out MFP's Gaining Weight & Bodybuilding forum? You'll probably get some good answers there, too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    try it for 4-6 weeks, tweak based on results....
  • tanakz
    tanakz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Banany89 wrote: »
    Numbers sound good - In my experience, (one of the) important thing(s) is to ensure you are hitting your protein (between 0.9 - 1.1 grams per body/lb) then you should see progress.

What is your training plan like? Another key thing is to incorporate compound lifting into your training, things like Bench, Squat and Dead lifts and progressively overloading the weight each session (adding 2.5kg-ish). This will help you build on strength. Just be careful and ensure you keep good form to avoid injury.

I would suggest sticking to your Macros for 2 weeks and keep an eye on body weight and take progress photos. After 2 weeks, you can make a decision on whether the macros / training need tweaking.

Hope that helps!

P.S. As well as the P F C Macros, keep track of Fibre too (at least 30g) :)

Thanks for your help! My training is pretty basic where I target a different part of the body every day. The only thing I cannot do is deadlifting due to a lower back injury I went through. Other than that everything is maximum amount of reps with the maximum amount of weight where I can get at least 10 reps or more.

• tanakz
    Options
    ZoneFive wrote: »
    Have you checked out MFP's Gaining Weight & Bodybuilding forum? You'll probably get some good answers there, too.

I will have to check that out, thanks!

• tanakz
    Options
    bweath2 wrote: »
    I would suggest stopping the cardio. Cardio is a gains killer. The best thing to do to make muscles grow is to rest them sufficiently after lifting. If you must expend more energy to keep BF% down do HIIT instead.

Do you I think I should completely cut my cardio out? I have a pretty active lifestyle so I guess it's more of a lifestyle for me rather than a choice. I don't really do it to keep body fat down but to maintain a good conditioning and it's also a great way to start my morning.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would suggest stopping the cardio. Cardio is a gains killer. The best thing to do to make muscles grow is to rest them sufficiently after lifting. If you must expend more energy to keep BF% down do HIIT instead.

This^^^ is false.

Nothing wrong with your numbers, way more protein than is needed, but otherwise fine.
  • tanakz
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

This^^^ is false.

Nothing wrong with your numbers, way more protein than is needed, but otherwise fine.

Should I down my protein intake and up the carbs or fat intake? How would you tweak the ratio?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not a body builder here, but a veteran of measuring and counting. If you reduce the protein to the maximum you can absorb (I don't have my calculator so I don't know what the magic number is), the fastest and easiest way to make up the difference is with fat. Whole milk. Butter on your bread. Cheeeeeeese.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nothing inherently wrong with those numbers, but the protein is overkill and you're not really benefiting from it...just expensive glucose.

The only way cardio kills gains is if it results in you not getting a surplus of calories. Most body builder types that I know do pretty minimal cardio simply because doing it means they need to eat an ungodly amount of food to put on mass. You may find that your calorie target doesn't result in a calorie surplus necessary to build mass.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    As far as cutting out cardio or not, it really depends on your goals. You said you wanted to gain lean mass and strength. Cardio is in opposition to that.
    You said you do weight training 5x/week. I assume you are hitting each muscle group hard 1x/week. After an intense lifting session on a muscle group, those muscles should rest for 5-7 days to get maximum gains.
    Whatever activities you do, just ask yourself if they fit into your goals for your body. Adjust if needed. For example, if you love running, but would rather look like an Olympic sprinter than a marathon runner, change how you run. Do a short warm up, then HIIT (example: 30 sec @ 100% , then 1 min @ 50%, then repeat til you can't stand up).
    A lot of great info can be found in a free ebook by Mark McManus. He also has great workout free to download.
    http://www.musclehack.com/build-muscle-fast-for-free/
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd probably drop protein to 25%, up carbs to 45% and fill in the rest with fat - which for 2700ish would be:

168g protein (672cal) - 25%
    300g carbs (1200cal) - 45%
    92g fat (828cal) - 30%
  • bweath2
    Options
    By "cardio kills gains", I meant that it prevents optimal gains. Lifting heavy "tears a muscle down", and the repair process is when muscle is gained. The more a muscle can rest during that repair window, the greater the gains. Mark McManus explains the "peak overcompensation point" here:
    http://www.musclehack.com/10-rock-solid-scientific-laws-of-muscle-building/
  • tanakz
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for all of the opinions and knowledge. This is just what I was looking for. Please feel free to keep them coming!
  • tanakz
    Options
    I'd probably drop protein to 25%, up carbs to 45% and fill in the rest with fat - which for 2700ish would be:

92g fat (828cal) - 30%

This ratio seems like something I'm going to try, it's just having all of these extra carbs in my diet is something I'm going to have to get used to. Thanks!
  • bweath2
    Options
    It appears that many people don't believe that cardio inhibits muscle growth. The science is explained in section 2: "Impact of Cardio on Muscle Gains" here:
    http://www.musclehack.com/why-cardio-sucks-you-dont-need-to-do-it/
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    tanakz wrote: »

92g fat (828cal) - 30%

This ratio seems like something I'm going to try, it's just having all of these extra carbs in my diet is something I'm going to have to get used to. Thanks!

My overall cals are similar to you but I weigh abt 10lbs less (and am female)

My protein is 140g; fat is 78g and the rest carbs (I focus on starchy carbs and grains)