Gaining too fast - anyone with experience??

Options
2»

Replies

• worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I think the weight will stabilize over the next week or two, if you could wait out the process until then. When you don't reverse diet as explained, there is always going to show weight creep as your body adjusts. Depending on how good your numbers are, you can always decrease your calories by 200 from your current intake and run those cals for another 4-5 weeks.

8 pounds in 8 weeks, could this also be your maintenance calorie amount can be off? If you expected to only gain upwards of .5 pounds a week. etc.

I look at maintain calories as something that can change from week to week, etc. I would as a cross check make sure my daily activity level and exercise are staying the same.

It can also take a year or longer to get your period back as well. I would definitely keep your treatment informed.

That thing about maintenance cals changing every week...so on point. I hadn't even considered that. I'd love to transition into intuitive eating once my weight and intake is stable, and that point will definitely help!

I reverse dieted up to the 1700 mark, from 800...and the gain was sooo slow, hence why this is such a shock in comparison! I honestly have no idea what my maintenance is, particularly as my body has been starved since I was 16. I'm kind of annoyed now as my plan was to do this slowly, giving my body time to adapt. I wish I'd said something to my coach sooner, I've basically set myself up for needing a cut now
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is still under 20. You are on the lower end of a healthy weight, even after your rapid gain. I get that this seems terrifying to you, but your concerns aren't reality based and you need some perspective. Right now you don't have your period because you need to gain weight, so you have to relax and let yourself gain weight.

You will not continue to keep gaining until you turn into a giant balloon, because the larger you get, the more you have to eat to sustain your size. Plus even if you did keep gaining weight, you would have plenty of time to make changes before you became overweight. Let your trainer and your medical team know about your concerns so they can help you with your fears. Do not take advice from strangers on the internet who can't do math to up your training and exercise or lower your calories. That is not what you need to do, and some part of you knows that already.

Thanks for being so candid with me. That was actually so helpful to hear. Certainly don't LOOK like I'm at the low end of healthy (if I gain much more, I'll be needing size 12 jeans! Squat problems) and that makes the idea of continuing as I am that much harder. But you're completely right, it's easy to lose perspective. I have now lost access to my medical team - thanks to moving cities at a weight that doesn't qualify for a new referral - so definitely need to avoid resorting to the advice of strangers on the internet! I'm going to ease my intake down ever so slightly so I don't freak and make stupid decisions - but ultimately you're right, cutting back significantly or increasing exercise is not my priority. Thanks for being real with me.