Keto and Net carbs

Options
Hi,
I have a probably stupid question. I just started a keto-inspired plan yesterday. I've read so much information that I've confused myself. So, when doing keto do you only take net carbs into account? MFP calculates I ate 31g carbs so far today but 11g is fiber.

My keto plan is to stay under 30g carbs. So am I over at 31? Or would I only be at 20g (carbs less fiver) for keto purposes?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Net carbs are really what matter for keto purposes.
  • SheenaE85
    SheenaE85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You can go with either really.

Most people will be in ketosis all the time (unless you eat your carbs at one sitting) with net or total carbs of 31g. Either way, you are probably in ketosis.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    So dietary fiber isn't really digestible by humans. That's why it's encouraged to add some "bulk" if you're having trouble in the bathroom.

For keto purposes: Net carbs = total carbs-fiber. You can add a fiber column in your log here.
    So like in your example OP, you were at 20 net carbs. Generally using net carbs is what most people shoot for in with their carb intake. 30 is a number that a lot of people shoot for, but you probably wouldn't run into any problems going over by a little.

Some people can maintain on more, and it just takes a little experimentation to find out what your individual threshold is.