Whey/BCAA/PreWorkout/creatine?

Options
I'm a 60kg female and looking to tone up and build a bit of muscle.
I currently have whey protein after strenuous workouts and was thinking of getting PreWorkout for before.
I have a few questions though...

1)can I have BCAA after workouts as well as whey protein

2) can I have creatine as well as BCAA/whey? Would it be better to have this before a workout?

3) can I have creatine and PreWorkout?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    you dont *need* any , but if you want to use them you can, and lots of people benefit from supplements . I don't use preworkouts because they make me too wired. i do take the other three.. Creatine you have to take daily, you can take it at any time of the day, just keep it loaded in your system. I drink a protein and bcaa shake during and after my workouts. the protein shake is included in my protein grams for the day.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    BCAA's appear to be mostly useless according to research.

Creatine is well supported by most research

Beta-alanine is well supported by most research for pre-workout

Take caffine, creatine, and beta-alanine (the 3 main ingredients of almost all pre-workout supplements) before you workout. Or don't, their effects are real but mostly marginal.

Most post-workout powders have BCAAs, which are probably pointless, and creatine, which is good. They also often have some good fast digesting carbs in them which is good, but you can just as easily shove a couple gummy bears in your mouth or eat an apple.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    1. Unnecessary.
    2. Creatine timing doesn't matter.
    3. Sure.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Amino's are not necessary or unnecessary. It's up the individual. They are called supplements for a reason. They are not a replacement for food, they are to supplement your diet. I take amino's, and they have been useful to me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If you're not building, it's usually due to: not enough calories, not enough protein, insufficient hypertrophy lifting program, and lack of rest. Supplements aren't the reason people gain muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    1. BCAA do not add to gains directly but might indirectly by improving recovery https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18974721/
    2. Creatine does not have a timing need that I am aware of.
    3. Mine does.

None of it is needed but you make up your own mind. I take a pre-intra-post stack that I swear helps me recover better. I doubt any of it helps much on gains but quicker recovery is golden to me. It could also all be in my head but why break what works?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are choosing between whey and BCAA - always choose whey which contains about a quarter BCAA so that base is covered plus having extra goodies. BCAAs are just the latest fashion accessory.
    Protein timing is pretty unimportant though.

Creatine - timing completely unimportant. May or may not do anything for you but inexpensive and safe. Did nothing at all for me.

Preworkout - I've no idea why people need stimulants to do something as routine as going to the gym. Personal taste though.

But your overall diet and your crucially your training is of far more significance than supplements. That's where you should focus.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I take BCAAs and CLA because I have experienced that they aid my muscle recovery time. I drink my protein shake because I wasn't getting enough protein to support my current program without it.

If you take these things and when will be based on your individual goals and program. No one else will be able to tell you if it's good or bad
  • jdlobb
    Options
    In the end a months worth of pre and post workout powder isn't that expensive, maybe $50 if you get good stuff. Give it a try, if you feel better during and after your workouts once you start taking it, you have your answer. If you don't, then don't buy it again. Fitness is a long road, plenty of time along the way to experiment.
  • EastCoastRunning
    Options
    You don't need any of that. The only thing you need is whey if you don't get enough protein from food.
    My three cents.

This...exactly! Don't let the advertising fool you into thinking you need any of it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you're not building, it's usually due to: not enough calories, not enough protein, insufficient hypertrophy lifting program, and lack of rest. Supplements aren't the reason people gain muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

So much this.
  • Yossiph
    Yossiph Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take BCAAs because they're necessary to me. I used to take them after a workout with whey. You can't get all amino acids from foods which is why BCAAs are necessary for me.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I use BCAA's pre or during a workout. Maybe a mind game but for me I think they allow me to work harder and recover better. I drink whey at some point most days as I struggle to hit my protein goal otherwise. I am investigating Creatine. It isn't expensive BUT I think I still need to work on getting my calories right (still loosing weight despite trying to at least maintain and start to slowly gain!!) and until I do I think they will have limited benefit.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    wendix wrote: »
    I'm a 60kg female and looking to tone up and build a bit of muscle.
    I currently have whey protein after strenuous workouts and was thinking of getting PreWorkout for before.
    I have a few questions though...

1)can I have BCAA after workouts as well as whey protein

2) can I have creatine as well as BCAA/whey? Would it be better to have this before a workout?

3) can I have creatine and PreWorkout?

Hard to really answer those questions without any context - what are you trying to do/accomplish/fix?

Taking at face value -
    1) Yes, but it's probably redundant
    2) Yes, timing doesn't matter all that much though.
    3) Yes.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Yossiph wrote: »
    I take BCAAs because they're necessary to me. I used to take them after a workout with whey. You can't get all amino acids from foods which is why BCAAs are necessary for me.

The bolded part is not true - any form of animal protein (and a lot of plant proteins) will deliver all of the amino acids that the body cannot manufacture on it's own.

For the original question - the biggest thing that most pre-workouts deliver is the caffeine which you can get from coffee, tea, soft drinks, etc. much cheaper than you can get from a pre-workout.

Creatine should be done daily, no timing involved. No need to pre-load when starting the creatine and no need to cycle.

Whey protein is only needed if you aren't meeting your protein goals thru other means.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Info on BCAA's. Research based.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10594549/new-research-on-bcaas-dont-waste-your-money#latest

To answer the OP's questions:
    1) BCAA, waste of money. Whey is useful if not hitting your protein goal from food.
    2) Creatine is probably the single most useful supplement
    3)Most preworkouts are mostly caffeine. Have some coffee before working out and save your money.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

Take caffine, creatine, and beta-alanine (the 3 main ingredients of almost all pre-workout supplements) before you workout. Or don't, their effects are real but mostly marginal.

Most post-workout powders have BCAAs, which are probably pointless, and creatine, which is good. They also often have some good fast digesting carbs in them which is good, but you can just as easily shove a couple gummy bears in your mouth or eat an apple.

You just recommended BCAAs to someone else a few weeks ago. What changed your mind?
  • jdlobb
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »

You just recommended BCAAs to someone else a few weeks ago. What changed your mind?

I didn't recommend anything to anybody. I gave my story of how my recovery was improved after I started taking a post-workout supplement that included, among other things, BCAAs.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yossiph wrote: »

Not true at all