1cup of fruit= all m sugar for the day??

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    db121215 wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar is the end .. just like calories are calories, you can eat 500 calories worth of raw veggies or 500 worth of McDonald’s, you ate them either way. Yes the veggies are healthier but it’s about a calorie deficit for a lot of people. Water is water, ice mountain or evian.. just drink it, they both have 0 cals.

Agreed. It's about deficit. There will be a greater chance of being satisfied off x amount of cals of a balanced diet then x of McDonald's, thus helping your chances of sticking with the diet. Make the cals work in your favor if you only have x to work with.

This actually varies quite a bit on an individual basis. For me personally, fruit is not satisfying and always leaves me hungry for more - I can easily eat a pint of berries or several bananas in a single sitting. I have the same problem with things like pasta, rice and potatoes. However, I can eat protein and fat (or just fat - like a tablespoon of coconut oil) and I will feel satisfied and can skip eating for several hours afterwards. So in my case, the McDonalds burger would be far more satisfying than the fruit (or even what some would call a 'balanced' meal).
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It's not irrelevant. If you ate a non healthy food, you'd want to know if it blew your sugar for the day. You'll learn good and bad sugar and not put too much weight on the better kind.

I'm not sure what your idea of a non healthy food is, but let's say it did put a person over their sugar goal for the day, why would that matter? If they are under total calories for the day and eating a variety of foods, what would it effect?

Also, what are good and bad sugars? Your body doesn't know the difference, they are all processed via the same biochemical pathways.

If you are going to put 50grams if sugar in your body, you can do it via fruit or a cupcake. Yes, as long as both fit into your calories, so be it. But from a nutritional standpoint, consuming that sugar from fruits versus a cupcake is more beneficial. Make what you consume count, that's what I was getting to.

That doesn't actually make sense - the nutrition in fruit and cupcakes is different but the sugar is the same and your body doesn't know what it comes packaged with.

Far better to think in terms of overall diet than individual foods, both fruit and cupcakes can be part of that diet. Neither is intrinsically good or bad and people do actually eat both, choosing one doesn't mean excluding the other.

I've already agreed that equal sugar is equal sugar. The debate here is that eatting a cupcake is equally as nutritional as eating the same sugars of fruit. Balance is required.

That's not the debate, that's what you are trying to turn it in to. You said "But from a nutritional standpoint, consuming that sugar from fruits versus a cupcake is more beneficial" From a nutritional stand point the sugar consumed from fruits versus a cupcake is pretty much the same once it is broken down. You are basically doing what a lot of people come on here and try to do, and that is trying to get somebody to tell you that a cupcake is better for you than fruit, but it's usually somebody trying to get everyone to say McDonalds is better than fruit or something stupid like that. Nobody is saying that! They are saying, the sugar is broken down the same way no matter where it comes from, and you can work things like McDonalds and cupcakes into your everyday diet, and not die, and if you didn't care about nutrition, you could lose weight, by eating only cupcakes or McDonalds.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now if we were to look for natural foods that are "balanced" all of themselves, these would be the ones that contain protein, fat, and carbs in equal measure with fiber. I went looking for these foods using the http://nutritiondata.self.com pyramid, and I found a few.

Soybeans, spinach, alfalfa, asparagus, spirulina, winged beans, and lupini beans fit this profile.
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    One gram of sugar regardless of where it comes from has the same number of calories but a sugar is not a sugar..you have glucose or fructose and they are metabolized differently. A carb is not a carb...you have simple carbs and complex carbs. A fat gram is not a fat gram... there are saturated/ trans/ polyunsaturated/ monounsaturated and the body uses the different fats differently. A protein is not a protein depending on the source they will have different amino acid profiles.
    It would seem that tracking sugar has benefited you because you might have an incorrect entry. Why anyone wouldn't look at all the info this app tracks doesn't make much sense to me. Info is knowledge and knowledge is power
  • db121215
    db121215 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I've already agreed that equal sugar is equal sugar. The debate here is that eatting a cupcake is equally as nutritional as eating the same sugars of fruit. Balance is required.

Perhaps you missed the word "potentially" in @deannalfisher 's post? If pretty much all a person was eating was fruit, then the fat and protein in the cupcake could be important in the context of the overall diet. Of course one could choose other sources of those macros, but I believe the point is that a cupcake isn't "bad for you" (barring allergies).

No one is suggesting that anybody eat only fruit or only cupcakes. Like you said, balance is required.

Eating a half a stick of butter could potentially be more beneficial if you are low in fat consumption that day as well.. We can give potentials all day long.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Perhaps you missed the word "potentially" in @deannalfisher 's post? If pretty much all a person was eating was fruit, then the fat and protein in the cupcake could be important in the context of the overall diet. Of course one could choose other sources of those macros, but I believe the point is that a cupcake isn't "bad for you" (barring allergies).

No one is suggesting that anybody eat only fruit or only cupcakes. Like you said, balance is required.

Eating a half a stick of butter could potentially be more beneficial if you are low in fat consumption that day as well.. We can give potentials all day long.

Right, that's the whole point. Not everyone's diet is the same, so telling people to not eat a cupcake, and only eat fruit doesn't work because you don't have the context of their diet. Not saying that is what you are doing, but you are close to doing that.
  • db121215
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's not irrelevant. If you ate a non healthy food, you'd want to know if it blew your sugar for the day. You'll learn good and bad sugar and not put too much weight on the better kind.

I'm not sure what your idea of a non healthy food is, but let's say it did put a person over their sugar goal for the day, why would that matter? If they are under total calories for the day and eating a variety of foods, what would it effect?

Also, what are good and bad sugars? Your body doesn't know the difference, they are all processed via the same biochemical pathways.

If you are going to put 50grams if sugar in your body, you can do it via fruit or a cupcake. Yes, as long as both fit into your calories, so be it. But from a nutritional standpoint, consuming that sugar from fruits versus a cupcake is more beneficial. Make what you consume count, that's what I was getting to.

That doesn't actually make sense - the nutrition in fruit and cupcakes is different but the sugar is the same and your body doesn't know what it comes packaged with.

Far better to think in terms of overall diet than individual foods, both fruit and cupcakes can be part of that diet. Neither is intrinsically good or bad and people do actually eat both, choosing one doesn't mean excluding the other.

That's not the debate, that's what you are trying to turn it in to. You said "But from a nutritional standpoint, consuming that sugar from fruits versus a cupcake is more beneficial" From a nutritional stand point the sugar consumed from fruits versus a cupcake is pretty much the same once it is broken down. You are basically doing what a lot of people come on here and try to do, and that is trying to get somebody to tell you that a cupcake is better for you than fruit, but it's usually somebody trying to get everyone to say McDonalds is better than fruit or something stupid like that. Nobody is saying that! They are saying, the sugar is broken down the same way no matter where it comes from, and you can work things like McDonalds and cupcakes into your everyday diet, and not die, and if you didn't care about nutrition, you could lose weight, by eating only cupcakes or McDonalds.

I never once said a cupcake will kill you or can't be included in your diet. I said that from a nutritional standpoint, consuming fruit is a better option then a cupcake. Unless as someone else said, if you're potentially low on fat that day, eat the cupcake if it fits or a half stick of butter, since we are talking potential. Since potentially gets you a free ride let's try this, potentially, eating that cupcake w x grams of sugar will also be packaged with high calories. Potentially fat. Whereas, the fruit won't.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    & yet another thread hijacked.
  • db121215
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »

Right, that's the whole point. Not everyone's diet is the same, so telling people to not eat a cupcake, and only eat fruit doesn't work because you don't have the context of their diet. Not saying that is what you are doing, but you are close to doing that.

How many times do I have to say a damn cupcake won't kill anyone?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

no really - your body metabolizes the sugar the same way regardless of how you ingest it

So you disagree with what I said above? You believe that nutritional value in fruit is the same as a cupcake, so long as both have the same amount of sugar?

No one said that, but the difference is not what the sugar does in your body.

As I indicated above, it's not that easy to get 50 g of sugar from fruit unless you are eating lots of fruit. Assuming an equal mix of strawberries and pineapple, you'd need about 4.5 cups to get 50 g of sugar, and it would have only 282 calories. Using a Entenmann's holiday cupcake, you would only be able to eat about 1.5 cupcakes for 50 g of sugar, and you'd get 450 calories, of which about half is fat and another significant amount is refined carbs other than sugar (white flour). The cupcake is likely less filling and has fewer micronutrients than the fruit.

But this has zero to do with the sugar being different, which was the comment you were replying to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think you're using a bunk entry...I'm hard pressed to believe a cup of fruit is over 58 grams of sugar. You need to do some vetting with your database entries...there are a lot of incorrect entries. Also, it's going to be way more accurate to use weight vs volume with something like fruit...depending on how I cut it, it could be more or less actual fruit in a cup...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

If your overall diet has plenty of variety it won't matter...
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow guys sorry for not responding! Been busy! I'll use my food scale. I don't have a medical issue or anything like that. I try to mix it up with different things each week for fruits. I get sick of the same things so quickly. Honestly, I'm not sure if any entry in MFP is accurate lol. So I OVERestimate. I don't want to under estimate and be foolish thinking I have more cals but I don't.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Wow guys sorry for not responding! Been busy! I'll use my food scale. I don't have a medical issue or anything like that. I try to mix it up with different things each week for fruits. I get sick of the same things so quickly. Honestly, I'm not sure if any entry in MFP is accurate lol. So I OVERestimate. I don't want to under estimate and be foolish thinking I have more cals but I don't.

If you use your food scale, weigh each type separately and use USDA entries, you don't have to over- or under-estimate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Deliberately over estimating isn't the way to get an accurate estimate of course - which is actually what you want. Go for accuracy and be prepared to make adjustments (if required) after a period of weeks based on your actual results.
    Pick items to track that are actually useful to you. I went for fibre rather than sugar as it had more relevance for me.

Don't use cups for solids - calories are in proportion to weight and not volume and cups measure volume.
    (Try a little experiment with grated cheese - top up the cup, then press it down firmly and you can probably double the amount of cheese and therefore calories you cram in.

Do take care to use accurate entries - it sounds like either you have enormous cups (!!!) or you have picked a bad entry. There are many.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

There are plenty of accurate entries in MFP...the objective is to be as accurate as possible which may require some vetting of entries on your part. For things like fruit, etc just use a USDA entry...I've found most to be accurate, but you can vet it against the USDA website. If something comes in a package, it's easy enough to vet the entry against the information on the package...
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I know I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate here - but again, you are looking at things in isolation and trying to make everything into a black or white situation with these strawman examples. Why can't McDonalds be part of a balanced diet? There are a wide range of menu options at McDonalds, and whether you choose a salad, or a McDouble (two things I tend to get when I do go with my kids on the weekends occasionally), either can be part of an overall balanced diet. In fact, if the choice is 500 cals of raw veggies or a McDouble and a side salad, the second would be the healthier choice (balance of macro nutrients, etc).

Many people find success sticking with their "diet" if they aren't too restrictive in their approach. For a lot of people, thinking they could never eat McDonalds again, or have a cupcake at a birthday party, means they wouldn't stick to their diet at all. That's what people are trying to explain to you - it's about balance and not labeling foods as good or bad and looking at them in isolation.

I don't know about you, but whenever I get McDonalds no matter what I choose on their menu, I'm starving only a few hours after I eat it. I can have it if I want, but because of that I simply don't choose it often. I want something that I enjoy but will fill me up on fewer calories. Usually for fast food I want something more like mexican or chinese because I'm full all evening after those off fewer average calories. It was really helpful to me when I finally gained this insight that I can make that choice and helped me feel more content off my steadily-shrinking calorie budget. If others might benefit similarly, they should try it. I've seen a lot more posts about being hungry after eating daily calories than the opposite which is my problem, and one way to change that is the types of food you're eating. db121215 never said anything wasn't part of a balanced diet, just that you might be able to stick to your diet better if it leans more balanced than indulging, which is very true in my experience.