Can I still consider it a loss?

Options
I was wondering when a loss is considered to be a solid LOSS. I was finally FINALLY down to 150. (someone please look at my exercise/food and tell me why I'm not smaller than this! UGH!) But now I'm bouncing around 151-152. I know that we can change with water etc, so am I really NOT 150. Did I gain a couple of pounds? Does this make sense? I'm not sure when it's "official". Anyone know what I mean? LOL! Thanks!

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I don't truly consider myself weighing a certain weight until I weigh it AT NIGHT (when I'm about 2lbs heavier than in the morning). That way, I'm really UNDER that certain weight. But that's just me
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I only weigh first thing in the morning naked,on an empty stomach. And only when it has been at least 8 hours or more since I last ate. I am the exact same way as you and bounce around between 140-146. Big # right? If I eat out and don't drink water(like last night!) I will be heavier than if I ate healthy all day and drank tons of water. Sometimes it will take me 2 days to flush out all the sodium. I also believe that is why it is taking forever to lose these last few pounds! Good Luck!:drinker:
  • slim_photographer
    slim_photographer Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I have shirts that I know fitted me when I was a certain weight. They don't yet fit if I hit the number on the scale they only fit after I lose a few more. So there seems to be a lag in body volume.
    I have heard this enough that I accept it as true: Fat cells never go away they just empty their content. I have wondered about how much volume empty fat cells occupy in the body and have kinda also accepted that I will be a little larger than previously at any given weight.
    I know my answer sounds like resignation but for me the key will be to add muscle mass when I get closer to the goal.
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates so much also and I don't count it until its been off several days!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Yeah, which means I'm back to having lost hardly any weight in over 3 months. That's with many, many hours of exercise logged in. :-(((((
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i weigh every day first thing in the morning. i only log my weight after saturday mornings weigh in, so whatever it says saturday, goes!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Last week was a very bad "fluctuation" week. But yesterday was a good number; but not sure if its official. I'll find out on Wednesday when I weigh again. I've started to only log my weight once a week; even though I weigh 3x per week.
  • kobunski
    kobunski Posts: 18
    Options
    It must be frustrating to see only a little progress...but how do you feel? Do you feel like you are healthier and have more energy. It's not a total loss even if you didn't meet your goal. Can you adjust your calorie intake? Are you measuring the food? Sometimes I underestimate how much I'm really eating.
  • kobunski
    kobunski Posts: 18
    Options
    I just saw that you lost 36! That's incredible! You can reach your goal!! Don't get discouraged.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I lost that well over a year ago though..I'd actually lost less...gained and then it stuck. Forever. I don't want to lose a ton more...and I'm fine doing it slowly...but weighing in once a week almost wouldn't work because my weight is different everyday. I could be 150 one day. 151 then next. 152 the next. 151.4 the next....so I could almost "miss" a loss one day in a sense. It changes all the time. Sometimes it's less in the afternoon...I mean...it's just RANDOM!
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    couple things...

how tall are you? maybe your body is telling you it's happy where you're at and that you don't need to lose more.

also, I glanced at the last couple weeks of your food diary, and if your exercise routine is anything like your diary your body may be bored. you appear to eat the same breakfast and lunch almost every day. change it up, mix it up, and things may change for your loss. do the same with your exercise (if you aren't already) as your muscles get "used" to exercises and don't work as hard anymore if you stick with the same exercises/movements for too long.

good luck!

Yes, it's a total occupational hazard. LOL! I teach spin and Pump, and well...we now have a dog. LOL! So I'm always doing those things. I've added running, elliptical, and dance classes...but I hear ya. Adding new stuff usually has to happen on a rest day. So I never get a rest day. :-/
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I lost that well over a year ago though..I'd actually lost less...gained and then it stuck. Forever. I don't want to lose a ton more...and I'm fine doing it slowly...but weighing in once a week almost wouldn't work because my weight is different everyday. I could be 150 one day. 151 then next. 152 the next. 151.4 the next....so I could almost "miss" a loss one day in a sense. It changes all the time. Sometimes it's less in the afternoon...I mean...it's just RANDOM!

Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds up or down in any 24 hour period. It's just the way the human body works. To get accurate weight, you have to weigh yourself at the same time, in the same situation, every time to get accurate numbers. That's why it's best to weigh once a week, not every day.