Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Apple Watch series 2 or Fitbit ?

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    I'm very happy with the Apple Watch most of the time. It has been a lifesaver for tracking my swim distance, I find the heart rate monitor very accurate and it definitely helps me stay motivated.

Downside is the outdoor walk and outdoor cycle activities are totally borked up. A bunch of folks seem to have this problem, but none of the googled fixes work for me. If I want a calorie count or if I want the exercise minutes to count on the watch I have to set the activity for the indoor version. Annoying but not a deal breaker. Note, these activities track fine on my husband's and my MiL's watches so this isn't a problem on every series 2 watch.

(Today I biked about 3 miles. Set watch to outdoor cycle knowingly b/c I wanted to record my route. It recorded 5 exercise minutes and 35 calories. I know I'm slow, but it was a 25 minute ride and I'm positive the burn had to exceed 35 calories! ).

Does it have it's own gps receiver or is it using your phone's? If the latter, it could be the phone (rather than the watch) glitching or running low on memory and killing the accompanying phone app.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yesterday the front of my friends applewatch face popped off.......she said it was the second time it's happened. Otherwise she seems to like it.

I have a fitbit blaze, I like it for the most part but found it doesn't count steps accurately and lags on that. So that's kinda irritating. I took it back and this one does the same thing, talked to others and they said the same thing so I guess it's across the board for fitbit blaze.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated with my apple watch for logging my heart rate while I run and do other exercises, because the refresh rate is low and it often gets stuck or doesn't read depending on how sweaty I am or other various mysterious factors. I'm used to exercising with a chest-strap HRM and a Polar Watch, which actually only got better and more accurate the sweatier and wetter you got. There are a million options out there on wearables, depending on what you want the watch to do. My suggestion is that if you're going to spend the money, do the research to find what matches your needs best, and give the chest strap HRM capability some serious consideration.
  • sbklt
    sbklt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used Fitbit Surge for 2years, the first year I had to replace it the strap fell off, second year I couldn't swipe anymore. After reading similar problems in their FAQ's I decided to go with the Apple Watch. It's well worth the extra money I paid.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Garmin.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I get frustrated with my apple watch for logging my heart rate while I run and do other exercises, because the refresh rate is low and it often gets stuck or doesn't read depending on how sweaty I am or other various mysterious factors. I'm used to exercising with a chest-strap HRM and a Polar Watch, which actually only got better and more accurate the sweatier and wetter you got. There are a million options out there on wearables, depending on what you want the watch to do. My suggestion is that if you're going to spend the money, do the research to find what matches your needs best, and give the chest strap HRM capability some serious consideration.

You do know that you can pair your Apple Watch with a HRM strap, right? And just about any current fitness/workout tracker can pair with ANT+ and/or Bluetooth HRM straps.

To answer the original question I'd say neither. Garmin would be my choice. I had an Apple Watch for 2 years, just switched to a Garmin 935 and am very happy with it so far. The Apple Watch is a fantastic smartwatch, best one on the market IMO, but there are much better fitness trackers.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I honestly did not know that @AnvilHead, I'll look into it. Thanks for raising that to my attention.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Yesterday the front of my friends applewatch face popped off.......she said it was the second time it's happened.

I had my (Garmin) Fenix 3 on when I got hit by a car that was doing 35 to 40 mph. I thought the impact broke the arm the watch was on, it must have taken a big hit. I was I'm thee ER and ICU until the next night. Not a scratch on the watch and it worked every bit as well afterwards. Took me three months to ride a bike again.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Once you go Garmin, you'll never go back.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Yesterday the front of my friends applewatch face popped off.......she said it was the second time it's happened.

I had my (Garmin) Fenix 3 on when I got hit by a car that was doing 35 to 40 mph. I thought the impact broke the arm the watch was on, it must have taken a big hit. I was I'm thee ER and ICU until the next night. Not a scratch on the watch and it worked every bit as well afterwards. Took me three months to ride a bike again.

Do the garmins register calorie burn? I was looking at them but I didn't see one that did calories. I was just reading brief descriptions though.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Do the garmins register calorie burn? I was looking at them but I didn't see one that did calories. I was just reading brief descriptions though.

This is what my VA1 Gives me.

Privacy options should allow viewing

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1732882615
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1731748528
  • Grimmerick
    Options

This is what my VA1 Gives me.

Privacy options should allow viewing

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1732882615
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1731748528

ahhh that's pretty nice, thanks!
  • NorthCascades
    Options

Of course. It also tells me when a storm is coming in when I'm camping with no reception, and which of my skis go faster on less energy.
  • Grimmerick
    Options

Of course. It also tells me when a storm is coming in when I'm camping with no reception, and which of my skis go faster on less energy.

lol I thought you were messing with me for a minute there with the ski's . Hmmm I might have to upgrade.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I use an HRM-Run chest strap when I ski (cross country not downhill). It has 3D motion sensors, one thing it tracks is stride length. While that doesn't work out perfectly on skis, it's still pretty great. I can see in the data that my race skis glide across the snow like nobody's business and the backcountry ones lose momentum much faster.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    I honestly did not know that @AnvilHead, I'll look into it. Thanks for raising that to my attention.

@shaunshaikh - I've used a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM strap with my Apple Watch for well over a year. Once you pair it the first time, your watch will automatically find it and pair with it every time you turn it on after that. Any Bluetooth HRM strap should pair with it effortlessly.
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I want the series 3 Apple Watch!!! I'm kind of geeking out on it. I have a Fitbit Alta and I like it!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    threec wrote: »
    I want the series 3 Apple Watch!!! I'm kind of geeking out on it. I have a Fitbit Alta and I like it!

Altimeter and phoneless music streaming for the win.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

I've been looking forward to seeing what Apple was going to do with the Series 3 AW. Some great changes/additions, but I don't see anything that makes me regret buying the Garmin four days ago. I still say the Apple Watch is the best smartwatch on the market (and it just got even better), but there are much better fitness/workout trackers.
  • threec
    threec Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Altimeter and phoneless music streaming for the win.

For sure!!!!! added bonus of I can answer my phone or texts but I can leave my phone at home on runs or biking!!!!

The are probably better single purpose fitness trackers on the market but I need more than that to keep my life running while working out