Anyone use strava?

Options
Looking to see if anyone else out there uses strava? I'm somewhat new to strava and it's features and would like to possibly start a group of my fitness pal users if possible?

Replies

• kieranar
    kieranar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, but mainly for cycling , been using it for about 3 years
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Yes. And there's a mfp group that is pretty active.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    timibotkin wrote: »
    Looking to see if anyone else out there uses strava? I'm somewhat new to strava and it's features and would like to possibly start a group of my fitness pal users if possible?

This isn't what you asked for at all, but it's seriously awesome. And you'd never find this in day-to-day Staving.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/

Zoom in, turn labels on, set it to cycling or riding per your taste, and find new places to enjoy the great outdoors with your chosen sport.

This is their best feature.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Yes ... for cycling.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Yes. And there's a mfp group that is pretty active.

Yep, here's the Strava group for the people from the MFP Monthly Running Challenge threads:

https://www.strava.com/clubs/mfpmnthlychlng

Link to the current MFP Monthly Running Challenge thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10593418/september-2017-running-challenge
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Cycling. Great for "keeping up with the Jones". "View Flybys" is cool tool. Take their advanced analystics with a grand of salt as their implementation of the impulse-response model for cycling based on power is a joke. Don't know much regarding their HR implementation but it's much harder to get it right. You need laboratory testing every 4-6 weeks to pin down the aerobic and anaerobic markers. Even if you have a power meter for running, stress or rTSS is highly individualistic. I use the freebie.
  • ramshackles
    ramshackles Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm.on for cycling and occasional runs
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to show my ignorance here. I have never tried Strava, since I track my fitness in Training Peaks. WIth that said, there are lots of people telling me " We have to get you on Strava". I have resisted, since my impression is that Strava is like FB for runners and cyclists, ie, "look what I did today", or " I am KOM on this route", etcetera. With that said, I'm wondering if my opinion is incorrect, or if I am missing a feature of Strava that I might find useful.

So my question is: Does Strava add value in some way beyond what I get out of Training Peaks??
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    So my question is: Does Strava add value in some way beyond what I get out of Training Peaks??

Analytics, planning, & interaction with coaching, nothing.
    Social: Kudos, follower, comments, KOM, pics, etc
    Route Selection: heat map
    Flybys: see when you got dropped
    Segments: notification to your computer to start hammering (PB, KOM chasing)
  • Orphia
    Options
    Strava is my life.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »

Analytics, planning, & interaction with coaching, nothing.
    Social: Kudos, follower, comments, KOM, pics, etc
    Route Selection: heat map
    Flybys: see when you got dropped
    Segments: notification to your computer to start hammering (PB, KOM chasing)

Thanks. I'm mostly interested in the analytics/planning/coaching, so I"m covered w/TP.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I just started using Strava cause I recently got into cycling. I wish there was a way that it only pushed my cycling activities to the app and not everything else I do during the week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes, for cycling...namely so that my trainer can keep an eye on what I'm doing.
  • Orphia
    edited September 2017
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I just started using Strava cause I recently got into cycling. I wish there was a way that it only pushed my cycling activities to the app and not everything else I do during the week.

@VegasFit What about setting a yearly cycling Strava goal?

That's what I do with running, to keep track of my running distance.

ETA: You can also enter the monthly cycling challenges, like I do with the running ones.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Yes ... I enter the monthly cycling challenges. Also, somewhere in there you can choose to see just cycling or cycling + walking.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @Orphia, I'm too new to have any specific goals yet. I'm only about a month and a half in. Eventually I will look into that though. @machka9, I've just started deleting other activities so they don't show up in my feed. I only cycle on the weekends and my Garmin app tracks everything else. I tried to google the issue but no luck. From what I can tell Strava doesn't give you this option.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I only upload interesting rides to Strava, stuff I have to travel with the bike for.
  • Machka9
    edited September 2017
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    @Orphia, I'm too new to have any specific goals yet. I'm only about a month and a half in. Eventually I will look into that though. @machka9, I've just started deleting other activities so they don't show up in my feed. I only cycle on the weekends and my Garmin app tracks everything else. I tried to google the issue but no luck. From what I can tell Strava doesn't give you this option.

I don't use Garmin, so I don't track everything. However, occasionally I will use Strava to track a walk, or I might manually enter a spinning class or something.

If you go to Training Log, you can select Ride, Run or Multisport.

Also under Training, if you select My Activities, you can select what you want to see.