Emotional Eating

Options
HELP

I've spent years making myself happy with food. And developing new eating habits and exercising is just feeling like work. (2 weeks in) it's hard to think I would have to do this forever.

I want pizza and donuts. Soooo bad.

So, I give myself a cheat day (Saturday) and allow double calories and then fast (500 cals) on Sunday. So far I'm still losing weight. (Down 3 pounds so far)

But evening is still hard all week, that's the time I would sit down with my favorite foods and munch. Help

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've subbed out lower-calorie treats like popcorn, dry cereal, and string cheese. Also, before I snack, I log it. This serves two purposes.

1. It becomes a choice, not a cheat. I keep calories available for snacks and I see that it fits my daily target and there's no reason to feel guilty. (Which is good, because guilt and stress are two reasons I eat.)
    2. It's a final check. Sort of, "Okay. You want the popcorn? That's 85 calories. You want it, you got it. But are you sure you want it?" If the answer is yes, I go for it.
  • catnyxx
    catnyxx Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've subbed out lower-calorie treats like popcorn, dry cereal, and string cheese. Also, before I snack, I log it. This serves two purposes.

1. It becomes a choice, not a cheat. I keep calories available for snacks and I see that it fits my daily target and there's no reason to feel guilty. (Which is good, because guilt and stress are two reasons I eat.)
    2. It's a final check. Sort of, "Okay. You want the popcorn? That's 85 calories. You want it, you got it. But are you sure you want it?" If the answer is yes, I go for it.

I plan my whole day ahead of time. Down to snacks and condiments etc.

My problem is after my kids go to sleep all I want is junk food because of whatever reason idk. It's what I have done since I was very small. I've never been obese, just average. And now after kids and my age it's catching up lol
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You need to replace the habit of snacking at night with something else...take up knitting, chew gum instead of snacking, exercise, read, etc. Its about changing your habits and changing your lifestyle.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Any way you can get the junk food out of the house until you've shaken the craving? Or only have a small portion around that fits your calories?
  • SpirituallyBlonde
    Options
    I knit to keep my hands busy and try and have a "healthier" version of the snack.... but girl I feel you! sometimes I just want some chocolate!! And I like to snack at night too. Can you do like healthy stuff with say one doughnut or whatever? I actually find with exercising that I don't want as much unhealthy stuff as i used too.
    Also check where you are in your cycle, if you are in the later part of it all you are going to want is junk.
    I also go to bed earlier so as to not eat.....
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Read a book! Don't turn on the TV.
  • catnyxx
    Options
    I knit to keep my hands busy and try and have a "healthier" version of the snack.... but girl I feel you! sometimes I just want some chocolate!! And I like to snack at night too. Can you do like healthy stuff with say one doughnut or whatever? I actually find with exercising that I don't want as much unhealthy stuff as i used too.
    Also check where you are in your cycle, if you are in the later part of it all you are going to want is junk.
    I also go to bed earlier so as to not eat.....

I completely forgot. DUH. Yeah I'm menstruating. No working around that! Haha.
    I'm trying to keep busy and not think about food. I already had all my calories and macros for the day. Maybe I can plan a snack for tomorrow. I make these black bean brownies that are actually really good. Heated up with some low fat icecream on top
  • mrspowell80
    mrspowell80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    catnyxx wrote: »

I plan my whole day ahead of time. Down to snacks and condiments etc.

My problem is after my kids go to sleep all I want is junk food because of whatever reason idk. It's what I have done since I was very small. I've never been obese, just average. And now after kids and my age it's catching up lol

You sound like me. When the kids are in bed and I can finally relax, I want to relax and munch. I'm trying to find other things to occupy me. I will say this, when I was seeing results with my diet and exercise several months ago, that in and of itself was a motivator for me not to blow it at night. (I got off track after losing both of my remaining grandparents in less than 2.5 months back in March and June, but getting back at it now.)
  • motivatedkarma
    motivatedkarma Posts: 67 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I eat everything I want, but in moderation. Cut the piece of pizza in half and fit in in your calories. I truly love food, so I try my best to make it work. If I see a cookie for 320 calories(i literally did at the grocery store) I choose a different cookie with less calories. It is a this or that, what else can I eat worth 320 calories, 2 eggs, 2 toast and 2 bacon. I would not deprive yourself of anything, just choose what is best for you. I find when I stop eating what I love, I end up binge eating and stop working out all together,
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You're fighting a long-established association. it'll take some work, but it doesn't mean you'll be working at it forever. 2 weeks is nothing. it sucks, but it's nothing.

If you're interested, I recommend this book:

Power-of-Habit-TP_nospine1-250x321.jpg
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I will say it is a hard habit to break but it can be done. Have the pizza and doughnuts . . . life is too short not too! But, since you plan out your whole day with snacks you can have pizza, etc. and manage it. Now the sitting down and munching while watching TV or whatever can be a little tricky. I had to develop lots of tricks to manage this for myself. I would set a time for a snack or assign myself a small task to do before I could have a snack - anything to take my mind off of that loud voice telling me I was going to die if I didn't eat ____ in next 2 minutes. Over time the need to eat while sitting went away.

One other thing that I really need to get back to is serving my snacks, in a bowl or on a saucer - no napkin or paper towel and once I have prepared my serving, putting away the package. For me this make it official that I have eaten cause I now have a dirty dish and if it is put away just the process of going back and reopening a package makes me kinda of shame that I'm just being greedy.

It won't be work forever, it will be just what you do!
  • catnyxx
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • luckyj214
    luckyj214 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I struggle with an ED and I know all about emotional eating. It sucks because whenever you eat based on emotions it's usually the worst food ever.
  • xstrawberry86x
    xstrawberry86x Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem as well I'm a emotional eater as well it's hard to cut the habit but it can be done I drink lots of green tea helps suppress my hunger till it's time for me to eat again
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, try to give up the habit of night snacking. Replace with a new hobby, ect. If that doesn't work, find low calorie things to eat, such as pickles, cucumber, celery ect. It may just be that you are bored. Its just a habit that you are going to cut out in order to stay focused on your goals. I personally eat all the junk and snacks I want as long as it stays at my maintenance goal Calories. I never deprive myself of a donut or pizza and eat them any day I wish. Just plan out your Calories. If you have pizza, then balance the rest of meals out with low calorie ones like salad and fruit.
  • catnyxx
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat day within my maintenance calories and eat clean all week. So far I'm managing.
    Right now I'm sick though so my wagon broke...
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an emotional eater. I'd easily kill a bag of chips or snacks of any sort just watching Netflix. Sorry, don't have great advice as I'm struggling to not eat a midnight snack right now.. just attempting pure willpower. good luck! my best advice is to workout doing something you enjoy to offset the bad eating habits... basketball keeps me somewhat in check for my chip addiction. although a broken ankle has kept me sidelined for months and now I'm trying to get back after eating my sorrows away for a while. blah