Healthy Sleep Challenge - Who is with me?

Options

Replies

• brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @corinasue1143!

I had good intentions last night that somewhat worked out. I turned off all of my devices at 10:30 and started to fall asleep over the course of about 45 minutes, which is actually very quick for me since my mind immediately begins racing when I lie down. But then my host's roommate walked in from work around 11:30. I'm a super light sleeper and pretty paranoid in general of home invasions (and we're right by the front door on an air mattress), so that woke me up. I started falling back asleep when our host then decided at midnight to clean the kitchen, blast the air, and walk in and out of the house taking out the recycling and trash. Not to sound ungrateful, of course, but I was happy when that was all done because it was impossible for me to sleep through. I was able to fall asleep again around 1:30, and I woke up a little after 7:15. Not too shabby. I'm hoping to get more tonight.
    I will continue the 10:30 unplug. That is my goal for the rest of this challenge, and I will build on that goal as I move forward.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    serser28 wrote: »
    ...have now been awake for over 30 hours without sleeping.

Wow! That's no good at all.

I did alright last night, not as much deep sleep as I would have like to seen but I felt well rested nonetheless and I did happen to get a total of just over 9hrs yesterday with almost 3hrs worth of naps :blush:

q08kdaerf6q8.png

• DresdenSinn
    Options
    Another successful slumber for me :smile:

v1pbqqhs9b5v.png
  • serser28
    serser28 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    @DresdenSinn - you are doing so well with your sleep. Even better if you are also managing to get some naps in. Glad to see you got more deep sleep than light sleep last night.
  • serser28
    Options
    I only managed 1hr 29 mins on Monday having been awake for over 30 hours and today only 3hrs 17mins (44 mins of that was deep sleep). Not good at all. Going to try a new pattern tomorrow to see if that works. Will report back in due course if it worked.
  • serser28
    Options
    brittdee88 wrote: »
    Sorry for going MIA. I'm from South Florida and evacuated last week. Needless to say, stress is super high, and sleep hasn't been great (especially since we are on an air mattress in a friend's apartment). I am recommitting to this challenge tomorrow as best as I can. I really need to focus on self-care and good (or at least decent) sleep is the foundation for me.

Hope the worst is over for you and you are able to return home soon. It's difficult to get proper sleep when you have the added stress of not being in your own bed and worrying about the hurricane. Thinking of you.
  • serser28
    Options
    Slept about 12:30-1:00, then 6:00-8:30. That's what happens after 2 good nights in a row.

Oh dear that was not much sleep especially on the back of two good nights. Fingers crossed tonight is a better night for you. Was you tired when you went to bed at 12:30? Did something disturb your sleep half an hour later or did you wake up naturally because you were not tired?

I have come to the conclusion that I have to take more notice of what is stopping me from sleeping. Is it because I am not physically tired? Is it because something woke me up (I am a very light sleeper)? Have I got something on my mind? Or am I sabotaging myself by being distracted by other things (reading, surfing the internet, TV etc) therefore not getting enough sleep? Only then will I be able to do something about it. Do you know what stops you from sleeping properly?

• brittdee88
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thank you so much, @serser28. We just received word that we can return Thursday, so I am feeling so much better. I'm so sorry that you have been getting such crappy sleep lately. I hate when that happens. I really hope your new pattern works.

I unplugged at 10:45 last night because I was in the middle of a movie before I realized what time it was, but last night was pretty successful overall. I got 8 hours and 46 minutes of sleep from 11:19PM - 8:57AM. I was awake/restless for 52 minutes of it, but I will take it. I spent 2:42 in REM, 4:57 in light, and 1:07 in deep.
  • serser28
    Options
    @imlightning - welcome! Sounds like you have a good routine in that you aim to be asleep by 10:30pm. What wakes you around 3:00am? Bathroom break or something else?

DresdenSinn has mentioned that they stop drinking around 6pm to avoid having to wake up. I am going to try not having anything to drink about 2-3 hours before bedtime and see how I get on.
  • serser28
    Options
    @brittdee88 that's great news being able to return home in a couple of days. I do hope there has not been too much devastation in your area.

Great to know you managed to get nearly 9 hours sleep last night. That's fantastic. You needed to make up for the previous nights. Shame you were not able to get more deep sleep but any sleep is better than no sleep.
  • serser28
    Options
    Priyarose wrote: »
    I'm averaging 5-6hrs a night but as the week goes on, going to bed later and later. I've set an alarm so I'll be more mindful

How are you getting on?
  • serser28
    Options
    nads_ayoub wrote: »
    I put on my headset and listen to this 30 day weight loss meditation every night and I sleep incredibly well after that.
    https://youtu.be/UY-xuw0bEAM

I will give anything a go so if this meditation works for getting a good sleep and weight loss it's a double whammy!!
  • serser28
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I'm keen to up my sleep to 7 hours nightly so need to be disciplined in actually getting into bed and winding down - no point getting into bed at 10pm if I then spend the next hour looking at my phone

How are you getting on? Are you managing to get 7 hours sleep without waking up?

Hmmm our phones are our enemies in the run up to bedtime - too much of a distraction!
  • DresdenSinn
    Options
    Had another nice night of sleep although the final 2hrs were all in the light stage. I don't play on the computer or my phone for an hour or more before bed, I spend that time prepping for the coming day so I don't have to worry about it as I fall asleep or I'm waking up :wink:

mb303qsrzfbp.png
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Slept well 12-6 last night, slept a little off and on until 8:30. Perfect night!
  • brittdee88
    Options
    Hardly any sleep last night because we were able to get out on an early morning flight back home. I will definitely make up for it tonight!
  • DresdenSinn
    Options
    Another fine night of slumber:

afkms3g32v55.png
  • Priyarose
    Priyarose Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wanna share a lightbulb moment for me: I've been learning that it's important to switch off. I get into a worry loop when I'm stressed but it just makes me even more ill, sleep poorly etc. I'm learning it feels like a break to read my phone in bed but I'm happier if I put it down after a few minutes.
    I'm learning to value my sleep more.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    11:30 to 5:30. Nice!
  • DresdenSinn
    Options
    So I went to bed with a full belly last night and this is what happened (although it wasn't really bad):

aarkulh18sfd.png