~*~ REDUCING SUGAR IN BREAKFASTs~*~

Options
Anyone got any suggestions for low sugar or none sugar breakfasts
Mainly for breakfasts that can be taken to work.
I've noticed a lot of hidden sugars in cereals and when I make overnight oats
using Muller light that has 13g of sugar in the pot!!

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I sweeten my oats with 3-4 g of honey. Then often I do add raisins, which add sugar and sweetness, but it works just as nice without. Just oats, honey, milk and some vanilla.

Otherwise, you can have a savory breakfast just as well. I would say generally your best bet is to prepare them yourself, even if you need to take them to work, instead of buying premade stuff. Most of that will have quite a bit of sugar that you just don't need when you would make it yourself.
  • acebanditcat
    acebanditcat Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not avoiding sugar, just want to reduce it
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Eat savoury food. Like Eggs. Or Dinner leftovers. Whatever you'd eat for lunch...
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use oatbran from the whole foods shop and sweetener it with sucrolose.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Single ingredient readymade cereals will still have some natural sugars. These would be shredded wheat and puffed wheat. There is also natural sugar (lactose) in milk.

A breakfast not based on cereals, like eggs, will have less sugar. Try an egg based breakfast.

Americans in the west have a charming breakfast option, "huevos rancheros" which can be made up as a wrap making it portable.

You may want to make up muffin sized crustless quiche.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Or just have plain oat. corn flakes or puffed grain with milk or plain yoghurt add some fruits n very small amount of nuts. I like berries n almond. Banana or Apple with hazelnut. Tropical fruits fresh or dry with coconut. I usually do not eat Honey with my breakfast.
    If you want to skip the sugar from milk try vegan alternatives like oat soy or hazelnut. However most brands have added sugar if the label says without sugar it might just be with cane sugar or so instead.
    You can always eat a savoury breakfast egg or savoury muffin (with tomato' olive n a little parmesan)
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Lightly sweetened apples and cinnamon oatmeal packets have 4 g of sugars and very portable if you have a microwave at work.
  • counting_kilojoules
    Options
    I like porridge (using ordinary rolled oats) made with milk and a little cinnamon. Sometimes I add a few berries.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal with half a tablespoon of cocoa powder and sweetner to taste
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eggs, soup, sandwich, cottage cheese, meat, vegetables, beans, rice... any food you might eat for lunch or dinner.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I like Splenda with fiber. Since I have to take a fiber supplement, which makes me gag, doctor says this switch over is a good replacement. I get my sweet on and extra fiber with Splenda in the thick cut oats.
    (**this is not to start a Splenda vs no Splenda debate people, so move on...)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Eggs are low sugar. Boiled eggs, eggs sandwich, or scrambled eggs heat up nicely in the microwave if you have one at work. Greek yogurt (no sugar added) with berries.

Or break away from traditional breakfast foods and eat whatever you like that lower in sugar.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Egg muffin cups are great and portable. Here's an example but they are really easy so you don't really need a recipe. https://showmetheyummy.com/healthy-egg-muffin-cups/

I usually eat a high fibre cracker with low fat cream cheese.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    As others suggested... eggs are the obvious choice!

But you can always use a sugar-free sweetener in place of regular sugar/honey/etc. Stevia and erythritol are my favourites.

If you make your overnight oats with a few drops of stevia and some fresh berries (naturally lower sugar than other fruit), you should lower the sugar in it quite a bit without affecting the taste.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I eat Cheerios every day. I love cereal and it's got a low amount of sugar. That and shredded wheat (not the frosted kind obviously)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm not avoiding sugar, just want to reduce it

I normally do eggs and vegetables (no added sugar).

If you are into oats, why not do oats with berries and perhaps some protein powder. That's what I do when I eat oats (or savory oats with an eggs and some chopped up asparagus or the like and maybe some feta). Neither has added sugar.

I've also done plain greek yogurt with some berries and nuts mixed in, raw veg on the side.

Millions of things don't have added sugar. A little added sugar is not harmful anyway, but it's super easy to avoid if you want to.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like savory breakfasts Ike eggs bacon toast stuff like that. You can make a big batch of an egg scramble (like fried potatoes, bacon, eggs, veggies) and bring a portion in Tupperware and reheat.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I like to put a serving of peanut butter in my oatmeal, it makes a really nice flavor and if you buy natural peanut butter it has like 1 gram of sugar I think (maybe 0?). I also add frozen blueberries to my oatmeal because I do like some sugar in the morning!