Protein powder oatmeal: HOW?

Options
2»

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Use extra water when you microwave the oats. It will come out of the microwave as a soupy mixture, but will get completely absorbed when you stir in the protein powder.

If you want an extra treat, stick a spoonful of peanut butter into the oatmeal immediately after it comes out of the microwave. Creamy goodness.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You've just got to mix the powder with a little bit of water first... just enough to have an almost greek yogurt-like consistency. Add it to the oatmeal after the oatmeal has cooled a little... otherwise you end up with grainy lumps. It helps if you make the oats a little runny (the protein will thicken it up a lot)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    if you cook it on the stove it works just fine.. i cook quick oats (steel cut these days) with water on the stove for 2 minutes then add liquid egg whites and protein powder to the pot, then cook until the excess liquid is absorbed.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've come to love the odd texture of cooked protein powder in my oatmeal. I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard--it's the finest powder and has no grit or graininess to it. I mix the protein with some water to make a slurry (and get rid of any lumps) then add the oatmeal and more water and microwave.
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only eat oatmeal because I have some rice protein I'm trying to use up, and this is the least terrible way. (Rice protein is really gritty.) Adding berries helps with the texture, I've found. And increasing my oatmeal to protein powder ratio, though that obviously adds calories.
  • bexrochford
    bexrochford Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey. The best way to avoid this is to make sure the porridge isn't too hot when you stir in. I have found that by cooking the oats with water, then when done adding a dash of milk (to cool oats down a bit) and then the protein powder works well!

Alternatively, try using a protein powder that is a blend of casein and whey - or a vegan blend. These work better at higher temperatures so no need to cool oats before adding!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I use the ready to drink Premier Protein shakes (from costco or walmart) in place of the water (most of it) when cooking the oatmeal in the microwave. You could probably do the same thing with powder - make a protein shake out of it first, then use that instead of or in addition to the water you add to your oatmeal? Mine comes out very creamy.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Use casein and not whey. The heat affects it much less!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I do it, I make my oatmeal in the rice cooker (how I always make steel cut oats) and then when it's done mix in the protein powder. I usually use a bit of extra water when cooking the oats, but I find that doing it this way and using whey it mixes really easily, no odd taste or grit. (One reason I have not liked any vegan protein powders I've tried is that they don't seem to mix as easily.)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I tried and the consistency was gross (I eat oatmeal 4 or 5 times per week) so for the days I want the extra protein I'll make a smoothie with milk, banana, blueberries, oatmeal (quick oats but uncooked) & protein powder. It makes a surprisingly satisfying meal.