What wireless headphones do you currently use for running/working out?

Options
And what is your level of satisfaction? Would you recommend them? My current pair has died on me so I am using some old buds to fill in while I shop around.

My main areas of concern from past experience are:

1) Not falling out of my ears, even when very sweaty or sprinting.
2) Not dying or shorting out on me after a short period of time
3) Long battery life to account for long run days.
4) Decent sound quality that allows for bass as I listen to mostly EDM when I run.
5) Comfort level.

Replies

• Kwoconnor
    Kwoconnor Posts: 39 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Been using these for about a month and have had no problems http://amzn.to/2w0YhUd

61%2BK5-ZXFXL._SL1500_.jpg

Get around 5 hours worth of work out with one charge... I have a spare power chord I use in the 10 min drive to the gym just in case it needs a top up.

1) Not falling out of my ears, even when very sweaty or sprinting.

My left ear slips a bit but it's more to do with the chord rubbing on my top. Doesnt happen often.

2) Not dying or shorting out on me after a short period of time

5/6 hours worth per charge.

3) Long battery life to account for long run days.

Plug it in cigarette adapter on drive there just in case of top up.

4) Decent sound quality that allows for bass as I listen to mostly EDM when I run.
    Good sound from it I am happy.

5) Comfort level.

Happy with it. Have used others and this is the best I've come across, particularly for battery, comfort and the price was good.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Backbeat Fits. They're a perennial runners' favorite.

The non-earbud design provides decent sound while still allowing ample ambient noise through (something I like as a road runner). Fit/comfort is never an issue because of the over-ear wraparound design (and no long flappy cables to deal with around the back). They'll go 8 hours on a charge, are sweat/waterproof, use a standard mini-USB charging port, and charge quickly. The Bluetooth connection is as solid as any of the other options our there, and they're slightly cheaper than many of the other 'premium' sport options ($80 USD vs. $100+ USD).

I used to have the Jaybird X3s but broke them through fault totally of my own. They sound much better than the Backbeat Fits at the expense of ambient noise awareness. Comfort isn't bad (options to wear them over or under the ear with clips to shorten cable length), but they are a little finicky to get properly fitted to your ears and I still think that the BB Fits are more comfortable simply because they're not earbuds and there are no flappy cables to deal with. The other downside is that the Jaybirds use a proprietary charger. Supposedly helps with waterproofing but sucks when you forget the cable and need a charge.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I bought pair of Parasom A1 for $30 Canadian on Amazon. They come with multiple size ear buds , sound quality is good. I charge them twice a month, use them every other day for running about 40 minutes each time. So far I like them.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have the Jaybird x2 headphones. I really like them. Good sound and the stay put
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Headphones that came with my iPhone 7 lol. Have skullcandy budz for backup in case those go out.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The apple air pods are legit great
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Plantronics Backbeat Fit. I hated running with some sort of wired ear buds. They were horrible to keep in my ears. Never had an issue with these. The battery lasts for 8 hours when fully charged, and it charges up pretty quick. I run about 25 miles each week and usually charge once per week or maybe twice every three weeks. They are not noise cancelling, but I think the sound quality is pretty decent. Once I get going on my runs, I usually don't even notice they are there. I've been using mine for about a year. So far they work great, and I've been happy with them.
  • spiritedmis
    spiritedmis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the Jaybird x2 headphones. I really like them. Good sound and the stay put

Ditto i have had mine over a year.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Plantronics Backbeat Fit. I hated running with some sort of wired ear buds. They were horrible to keep in my ears. Never had an issue with these. The battery lasts for 8 hours when fully charged, and it charges up pretty quick. I run about 25 miles each week and usually charge once per week or maybe twice every three weeks. They are not noise cancelling, but I think the sound quality is pretty decent. Once I get going on my runs, I usually don't even notice they are there. I've been using mine for about a year. So far they work great, and I've been happy with them.

I also have these and what I like best is they do not seal the ear so I can still hear cars and people around me.
  • Theamazingjuliebrown
    Options
    Treks.....hands down THE best wireless blue tooth headphones EVER-my ears are small and ear buds NEVER EVER EVER EVER stay in or on my ears-this little gadget is FANTASTIC -worth every last dime
  • cookma423
    cookma423 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to a guy in my local cycling shop about mine yesterday. I absolutely LOVE my Bose Soundsport headphones. Bluetooth, comfortable. I've never had any issue with them falling out, and I sweat heavy on the easiest of workouts. The sound is awesome. I've had them for about a year-ish now. Great set. Good battery life; at least 5 or 6 hours of full blast when I was using them a few weeks ago. No complaints
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    This will sound odd, but there is actually is a proper method for putting the ear buds in properly so they don't slip out. You are supposed to pull on your earlobe as you insert them, then release. This ensures they are snug and comfortable. https://www.wired.com/2013/11/tnhyui-earphones/

I just have the cheapest bluetooth earphones I could find, nothing fancy, and at first they were annoying, but after finding the above technique, I find they don't fall out at all, no matter how much I sweat.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have the airpods which I LOVE. My husband jokes that my ears were clearly the ones apple used as a template as I'm the only person he knows who can keep them in! I took them on a 5 hour run the other week and they were fine batterywise.

I also have the powerbeats, but whilst the sound is good I don't really like the wraparound feel when I'm running.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Hussar Magicbuds from Amazon. They are identical to Beats, but at third of the cost. I don't run, but they have held up to sweat very well. They also hold a good charge.
  • lk031
    lk031 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Another plus to the Plantronics Backbeat Fit is that they are water proof. Not only can sweat not destroy them, I wear mine in the pool. They stay connected via Bluetooth until I go underwater, but I can do breast stroke etc and they work just fine.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I was so excited when I saw this thread as I have been looking for some bluetooth earphones for when I go out walking / trotting and was confused by the myriad of choice. I eagerly looked at all the ones mentioned and I think, apart from one pair, they are all up near the £100 mark. I can't afford that!! I have only just got my head around spending that on a good pair of trainers since I am not a serious runner... :#

So, anyone got any quite cheapish ones that work okay? I'm really clumsy, have gone through so many ordinary pairs of earphones that I'm currently using some free ones I got on a Big Bus tour! I have caught them, pulled them out of my ears and stood on them, thrown them in the boot of my car, then squished them when I slammed the door, ripped off an earbud as I tried to pull them out of the bag, you get the picture... :D I do sweat quite a lot and do sometimes run in the rain but I only run / walk 10kms. I also huff and puff a lot so sound doesn't have to be concert hall quality just so I can hear it and get the beat. I also don't want noise cancelling as I run on country roads with bad bends and no pavements so I tend to only run with one ear in.

Any suggestions... please?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Taotronics from Amazon. Less than $30, far better sound quality than the Plantronics I used before, they stay in your ears well and they've held up so far for over 9 months of being used 3-5 times/week for workouts.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info MFPers! I am sure this thread will prove useful for others who are currently in the market as well. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Plantronics BackBeat Fit as they seem a popular choice. I managed to find them from an Ebay seller for 60 bucks with free shipping.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    I was so excited when I saw this thread as I have been looking for some bluetooth earphones for when I go out walking / trotting and was confused by the myriad of choice. I eagerly looked at all the ones mentioned and I think, apart from one pair, they are all up near the £100 mark. I can't afford that!! I have only just got my head around spending that on a good pair of trainers since I am not a serious runner... :#

So, anyone got any quite cheapish ones that work okay? I'm really clumsy, have gone through so many ordinary pairs of earphones that I'm currently using some free ones I got on a Big Bus tour! I have caught them, pulled them out of my ears and stood on them, thrown them in the boot of my car, then squished them when I slammed the door, ripped off an earbud as I tried to pull them out of the bag, you get the picture... :D I do sweat quite a lot and do sometimes run in the rain but I only run / walk 10kms. I also huff and puff a lot so sound doesn't have to be concert hall quality just so I can hear it and get the beat. I also don't want noise cancelling as I run on country roads with bad bends and no pavements so I tend to only run with one ear in.

Any suggestions... please?

You may want to stick with wired headphones if you run with one ear out. Since most BT headphones have the buds connected by a wire, leaving one out would result in it flapping around and likely pulling the other side out of your ear. At the very least, get a pair that wraps over your ear to take some of the weight off of the side that you do leave in.

I know that they're not quite in your budget but the Backbeat Fits would be ideal for you. They allow ample ambient noise in, are very sweatproof, don't fall off or get pulled out of your ear because of their over-ear design, and have a more rigid/compact build than most wireless models that significantly reduces the chance of them getting caught/snagged on things.

Check out the Senso BT headphones or CB3 Fit. I haven't tried them, but they've been recommended by a number of review sites as the best budget friendly options out there.